1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Public Health England: E Cigarettes should be on Prescription / New UK Study

Discussion in 'E-News' started by moonoy93, Feb 6, 2018.

1. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

E-cigarettes should be available on prescription, according to Public Health England (PHE).

The agency wants them to be prescribed on the NHS within the next few years because of how successful they have been in helping people give up smoking.

An independent review of the latest evidence, published by PHE, suggests at least 20,000 people a year are quitting with the help of e-cigarettes.

The report also says they are at least 95% less harmful than smoking.

PHE also wants hospitals to be able to sell e-cigarettes and have areas where patients can vape.

This could even be in private rooms for patients on long hospital stays, it says.

PHE also encouraged employers to provide vaping areas.

No e-cigarettes are currently licensed in the UK as a quit-smoking aid.

And PHE is calling for "an easier route" for manufacturers to get a medicinal licence.

"Anything that the [Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency] MHRA can do to make it easier for manufacturers we think would be helpful," said PHE health improvement director John Newton.

The evidence review, which was carried out by independent tobacco experts, also found confusion over the risk posed by e-cigarettes.

But Mr Newton said there was "overwhelming evidence" they were far safer than smoking and "of negligible risk to bystanders".

"Almost half of smokers have never tried an e-cigarette possibly because they have views about how risky they are which are not founded on the evidence.

"We really want to get the message out that they really should consider using an e-cigarette because they're a lot better for them than continuing to smoke," he said.

Ann McNeil, professor of tobacco addiction at King's College London and lead author of the report, said it was "of great concern" that smokers still had "such a poor understanding" about what caused the harm from smoking.

"When people smoke tobacco cigarettes, they inhale a lethal mix of 7,000 smoke constituents, 70 of which are known to cause cancer," she said.

"The constituents in tobacco smoke that cause the harm are either absent or at much lower levels... in e-cigarettes so we are confident that they are substantially less harmful than cigarette smoking.

"People smoke for the nicotine - but contrary to what the vast majority believe, nicotine causes little if any of the harm.

"The toxic smoke is the culprit and is the overwhelming cause of all the tobacco-related disease and death."

The review also found there was little evidence to suggest that e-cigarettes were leading young people into smoking.

The research suggests less than 1% of young people who have never smoked use e-cigarettes regularly and the number of young people smoking continues to decline at an "encouraging" rate.

Rowdy, Sue, Bantorvaper and 6 others like this.
  2. SpeedBug
    Cheerful

SpeedBug Active Member

Wow, and here (in LOS) it is still completely illegal. How backwards is that?

Rowdy and Chili Pepper like this.
  3. yourauntbob
    Happy

yourauntbob hair club for men member

4. SpeedBug
    Cheerful

SpeedBug Active Member

Another damn fine article which doubles on the recent BBC one.

I think the number of 20 000 in the UK is conservatively way under estimated and that's why it is qualified with "and possibly many more".

The age-old myth that vaping will lead to smoking I just can't fathom. Young kids or new vapers might try nicotine in their flavors and probably won't enjoy it as it is not in their brain circuit as a enjoyable taste or sense. I bet 90% of them have 0mg or very low nic and enjoy the naughtiness of blowing out smoke (exc the pun).

And even if so... would they really put down the enjoyment and taste to switch to tobacco as new vapers? Really senseless argument still out there as a concern for vaping. Rather nic than sick for life.

We all as ex-smokers can't believe our luck that at least in our generation we can put these cancer sticks where they belong and still keep relaxing with clouds of enjoyment around us. Young kids love it and do it anyway here, as confirmed by my 16yo daughter (who is in a boys' school for 3 years already, believe it or not, which has opened the doors for girls as well.. lucky them.. many fish to pick, and believe me most of them are indeed fish)

Can you imagine the great Vape Bars here in LOS when (not if) vaping finally becomes legal? The vape industry will BOOM!

:congratulations:

Rowdy, Siam Diesel and Bantorvaper like this.
  5. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Threads merged. ;)

Rowdy and yourauntbob like this.
  6. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

Siam Diesel and Rowdy like this.
  7. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Most definitely should not be on prescription. If you can afford to smoke in the UK, you can afford to vape.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  8. Rowdy
    Devilish

Rowdy Old broken down Vaper

There are some very positive reports coming out now about vaping.

Wonder if Thailand will ever catch up, not while the BiB can get corruption money from it.

Cheers
    Rowdy.:vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping::vaping:

Siam Diesel likes this.
  9. haybilly
    Paranoid

The idea is that the cost of a Vape is considerably less than cancer treatment.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Rowdy, jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yeah, but considering how expensive stinkies are in the UK, if they can find the $$$ (GBP, I know but my keyboard doesn't have that symbol :p ) to buy a pack of smokes, and really want to get off of them (the key for me), they can afford an inexpensive vape setup. ;)
    :vaping: :vaping:

Rowdy likes this.
  11. haybilly
    Paranoid

You don't know how cheap some people can get a packet of imported tax free rolling tobacco and a packet of papers over here- they don't see the big picture, either.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    I agree that I'm not convinced that giving them a vape will convince them to stop, though.

Rowdy and Siam Diesel like this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yep, if they don't want to stop, it won't matter what they're given...since it's so easy to (roll &) light a stinkie.

Rowdy likes this.
  13. haybilly
    Paranoid

True- and I really didn't realise how poor so many people are over here-- it was an eye opener.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Most people can't work out that, after the initial set up costs, E Cigs are cheaper than Polish lorry driver roll up tobacco.

Rowdy and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. SpeedBug
    Cheerful

SpeedBug Active Member

Well my stinkie is pretty easy to fill up! Tried rolling it, it just enhances the flavor..

15. Rowdy
    Devilish

Rowdy Old broken down Vaper

This came into my yahoo news this morning. Wonder who did this research????

Vaping increases the risk of fatal pneumonia, and could be dangerous for elderly people, a new study has found.

Vaping linked to fatal pneumonia in new study

Cheers
    Rowdy.