1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Proposed Thai Laws for Vaping in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by glenn, Jun 11, 2016.

1. biatch0

biatch0 Well-Known Member

So far I haven't set off any smoke alarms in hotels... but where possible I do ask for a smoking room anyway. If I'm feeling paranoid, I'll vape in the bathroom.

I think whether or not the smoke alarm is triggered by vapor depends on the model. I've stayed in an apartment that consistently got triggered by vapor, and I've also been in apartments that have become so foggy without the smoke alarm triggering that I feel like I might be in a Snoop Dogg music video. That said, better safe than sorry...

Chili Pepper, SooKee, jpr and 2 others like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

You might consider using a MTL device in hotel rooms with a higher nic juice. I've been MTL vaping in hotels for 4 years and have set off the smoke alarm once...and that was because the smoke alarm was lower than normal. ;)
    :vaping: :vaping:

Jazz2017, jpr and Konvict like this.
  3. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

I'm wondering about this scenario. Maybe the way logic (I know logic is a strange word to use in the same sentence as Thailand) is applied here is that in the cases of clothes and almost anything else that tourists bring, they ARE subject of tax laws for importation but that there is a general temporary exemption for tourist purposes for 'used / personal' items and a tax allowance for new goods. Just the same as you can temporarily import a car here (e.g. across the border from Malaysia) by applying for Carnet from customs (max 30 days IIRC though in exceptional circs they can grant 90). Obviously with other personal possessions there's no documentation needed.

Vape gear though is not legal to import, can't be taxed (no tax framework to actually do so) so can't be exempt. Can't have the egg without the chicken so to speak, even if they wanted to.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  4. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

Indeed. Exactly like the guy who recently posted having fired up at a police station when going to sort out a traffic fine!

This law is so absurd (or rather the application of it in this scenario) and carries such a stiff penalty that you'd think they'd at least have some method of documenting a 'first and final warning', at least for tourists, recording details of it against passport / ID. OK, importing drugs is illegal to, but everyone knows that, not everyone will know that something as inocuous as an e-cig is illegal or that the penalties are up there with murder!

You'd think if they did want to continue to make it illegal they'd legislate for it properly with reasonable penalties, not deal with it in the totally unreasonable way it's being dealt with now. Possession / use should sit alongside no motorbike helmet IMO, but maybe that's not a stiff enough deterrent as far as the TTM is concerned, given how effective it is in making people wear helmets.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Neilly, Chili Pepper, Konvict and 2 others like this.
  5. thairak

thairak Well-Known Member

yes , me too, I have never had an alarm go off with vaping, but if you like to be sure , a small plastic bag with elastic band, can be useful.

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Just remember to take it off the smoke alarm when you're done... ;)
    :pleasure:

SooKee, Chili Pepper, Konvict and 2 others like this.
  7. thairak

thairak Well-Known Member

It's so good to see the amount of information coming through on this forum, helping to keep us all safe , and healthy (stinkies are out for me whatever)
    The forum is growing now at such a fast rate, the amount of new posters recently is terrific, and so good to see.
    Keep posting everyone, and we grow stronger everyday.

fillmcavity, jpr, Siam Diesel and 4 others like this.
  8. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

They already put that for vapers ready in the bathroom, the showercap.

thairak, Neilly, fillmcavity and 5 others like this.
  9. swm61231

swm61231 Member

What I am surprised about is that I don't see any reports of people being stopped at swampy and getting fined, detained, whatever it might be.

Does customs really care?

I have put my bags through the xray and it feels like they don't even look at the screen most of the time.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

If something stands out, they’ll either confiscate it or charge an “entry fee”. There have been some reports of that happening at the Phuket airport. But there’s no real $$$ in it for Customs...they can’t levy duty on an illegal item like they can on an expensive Louis Vuitton bag...so...they probably don’t care very much.

Just my 2 setangs...I could be completely wrong. ;)
    :vaping: :vaping:

11. PEL2112

PEL2112 Member

Thailand is not a country gone half mad (idiot remark), it’s a culture of respect, and it’s a much kinder society than the west. They have some of the decent values which we have lost in the west.
    Yeah, I'll have to politely disagree with you. The country has changed dramatically in the last few years, and not for the better. This is a vaping forum so we'll leave the political commentary for the other TV forum. Suffice to say that if you don't live here, you probably won't notice any difference when you come visit ('visit' being the key word).

However, the current vape laws (and the reasons given therefor) are based on antiquated research that has been proven false time & again. Their sole purpose is to protect the Thai Tobacco Monopoly, which is a pretty crappy reason to prohibit vaping IMHO. YMMV

Yeah, I'll have to politely disagree with you. The country has changed dramatically in the last few years, and not for the better. This is a vaping forum so we'll leave the political commentary for the other TV forum. Suffice to say that if you don't live here, you probably won't notice any difference when you come visit ('visit' being the key word).

However, the current vape laws (and the reasons given therefor) are based on antiquated research that has been proven false time & again. Their sole purpose is to protect the Thai Tobacco Monopoly, which is a pretty crappy reason to prohibit vaping IMHO. YMMV”

Well Mr Siam Diesel As you attempt to portray me as a clueless ‘visitor’ and consign my opinion to another forum, i’m guessing that you are a THAI national? Just so I know who (apart from a forum moderator) I am dealing with here. You see my partner IS a Thai national. You can find yourself on the wrong side of town in most cities in the world, I never said Thailand is perfect, but she supports my statement regarding the culture of Thailand. But maybe you’re right, and having lived in both the city and in outer provinces, she is completely wrong? Well my points have relevance to the vaping argument in Thailand, IMHO. When I have your answer I will explain. Incidentally, yesterday I passed the stall which is still selling dodgy vaping gear next to the steps to Nana BTS. Vendors nowhere to be seen.

12. tea-boy
    Amused

tea-boy Active Member

I'm not sure that it matters whether you are a Thai national or not. I have several children that are Thai, does that make me any more qualified than the next observer?

When peoples freedoms disappear even further down the back of the sofa, and they have no choice but to accept their plight, because speaking out would leave them in very serious trouble, I find it difficult to call it anything but madness.

Greg, Fastoche, v 4 vendetta and 6 others like this.
  13. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Once again this ban has nothing to do with Thai culture, stop mixing all together. This ban affect ALL vapers who have made the choice for an healthier alternative, no matter their nationality. You'd be surprised to learn that there are actually more Thai nationals vaping than there are tourists / expats and there are the ones targeted by the ban eventho the BiB targets mainly foreigners for a quick buck.

I will refrain from giving in a political debate at this point but anything that is done to profit big tobacco companies on the back of vaping in any country is disgusting. And again this has nothing to do with culture but more about corrupt officials getting paid by big tobacco, once again Thailand is not the only country (by far) facing this issue.

Saying that this country has gone mad is extreme in my opinion but the current government has made very questionable decisions that are quite insane in the past few years, the vape ban is just another one of these decisions that is not motivated by the well being of the people, the culture of respect in Thailand or anything of the sort.

14. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

totally agree just mixing everything (as my bad juices)......
    do we speak about Thai culture similar IMO to Siam (siamese) culture (as we can hear about lao isaan , south or north culture).... or Thailand culture?
    IMHO, we just speak here about a Thailand law from the Thailand nation from 2014.
    @ modo/admin: please erase/moderate this post if you consider it's at the wrong place, un..... or else

15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

This is exactly what this thread is about...and nothing else!