1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Proposed Thai Laws for Vaping in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by glenn, Jun 11, 2016.

1. PEL2112

PEL2112 Member

Here we go again, Vapers starting to run around hands in the air screaming “VICTIM VICTIM VICTIM”

SURELY a country is entitled to pass its own laws if they don’t breach human rights? So we expect visitors from abroad to abide by our laws when they visit our country? It is th responsibility of the traveller to research this before the visit a country. Thailand is not a country gone half mad (idiot remark), it’s a culture of respect, and it’s a much kinder society than the west. They have some of the decent values which we have lost in the west.

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'll have to politely disagree with you. The country has changed dramatically in the last few years, and not for the better. This is a vaping forum so we'll leave the political commentary for the other TV forum. Suffice to say that if you don't live here, you probably won't notice any difference when you come visit ('visit' being the key word).

However, the current vape laws (and the reasons given therefor) are based on antiquated research that has been proven false time & again. Their sole purpose is to protect the Thai Tobacco Monopoly, which is a pretty crappy reason to prohibit vaping IMHO. YMMV
    :vaping: :vaping:

SooKee, Konvict, debatedude and 4 others like this.
  3. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Sadly this has nothing to do with culture or the well being of the people, it is all about TTM pressuring the government.

At least if they took a strong stance actually writing a law saying vaping is now illegal it would not be as idiotic. But they are using a law about import taxes and they do not ask anyone to pay taxes on anything they bring inside the country as far as I know, especially on hollidays for their personal use.

You mistake culture and politics.

PS : In my own opinion forcing people to choose between something that kills you and something that doesn't should breach human rights but I'm a bit overboard now :p

SooKee, Konvict, debatedude and 6 others like this.
  4. swm61231

swm61231 Member

I am new to the forum but I have been lurking at this particular topic for a while now.

I have been coming to thailand for many years. I have just recently started vaping to kick the nasty stinky stick habit.

I was there in July/August and while I needed to keep it out of public eye being inside bars/Clubs/Hotel was no problem.

But it now looks like if they pull you over for anything(crazy taxi driver, IDP check, Or just because) they can do a search through everything and if you have vape gear or juice you are screwed.

Swampy doesn't seem to care much about anything as I have brought in well past my tobacco allotment allowed since they don't sell my brand in Thailand and nobody ever batted an eye and that is with even going through the exray on arrival.

So I am heading out for a 5 week vacation in the next few days and I was still thinking of bringing my gear and juice in but with the latest fiasco I think it is better to just stick with the stinky sticks...... Thoughts?

I am sure nothing is going to change in the next few days about this.

Konvict likes this.
  5. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

I think the best option is to buy your gear from an online seller here in Thailand so that you support the local vaping community. Only vape when you are in the hotel room. Do a giveaway just before you leave the country for good karma and this will let you experience the real culture of Thailand.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  6. swm61231

swm61231 Member

So why is it only going after the user. Why are none of the shops or people selling all of the vape gear in Thailand being shut down or arrested.

I find it interesting that only the user is getting screwed in this but nothing is happening to the sellers of all of it.

7. Konvict
    Relaxed

They are also targeted. This week alone there were two owners arrested, one roadside seller and one that had an online shop.

It is only to show that they are doing something about it like occasionally arresting a fake watch seller or other fake branded products.

SooKee, jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. swm61231

swm61231 Member

While that is not good news it is good news in a way that they are making it look like they are doing something about it.

My only hope is that the girl that had the experience this week and then has been on numerous talk/news shows from what I can tell might just get them to change the stupid ways they are thinking if the public will stand up and voice it. Ok I know it is a dream. But wouldn't it be nice.

SooKee, Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  9. Konvict
    Relaxed

I think those people that can do this probably react the same as this guy ... image.jpeg

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. swm61231

swm61231 Member

So has anybody asked or talked to the tax board to actually pay the tax on it as the whole argument is that we are participating in tax evasion. So if it is all about getting the tax on it why wouldn't they want to get that cash from every person and issue a receipt saying tax paid.

I know too logical right?

Jazz2017 likes this.
  11. Konvict
    Relaxed

E-cigarretes, like sex toys, are illegal products to import to Thailand so that will not work.

jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  12. thairak

thairak Well-Known Member

So , are you saying that There is a law, that says it is illegal to bring /use ecigs in Thailand ?
    I thought no such law existed, only a very old customs rule on importing.
    **Updated**
    The idiot remark , my friend ,would be researching the law on vaping, where no actual law exists.

13. sezze

sezze Active Member

Yes it has change a lot . Some online sellers still active , but vaping has become certainly underground . I did bring in vaping gear , dismantled and liquids in a soapdispenser ( so not a dozen of small bottles ) . If you can get away with the sigs , it is much better , but remember ... the problem is probably you wont stay 24h in the room ( and even then , smoke alarms can be triggered as i witnessed myself ) .
    As for bringing in past the sigarette limits ... be carefull , since if they catch you in Suvarnabhumi with that one , you will be sad that you didnt bring in 2l of eliquid . I think it must have been over 10y ago when i read about some people being charged for bringing in too much tobacco ( not ridiculous amounts!!) and that fine was more then the people posting here for vaping .
    Personally , i would try to take the vapegear , and make sure there is at least 1 ultra stealth device and put the liquids in a big bottle of something so you can say its massage oil or something like that, when asked . For the rest , hope for the better , and if you have to smoke just buy it there , if you dont like the brand , the better , since it will put you of smoking more .

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. Konvict
    Relaxed

Yes, there is a law that says it is illegal to import e-cigs and sell them. But they are being sold here in Thailand, even at street markets.
    No, there isn't a law that you cannot use any e-cigs in Thailand and that's why they use that old customs rule. An e-cig is just a tube with batteries and a coil with liquid and nicotine, nothing is illegal about that.

It the same as you cannot import sex toys, but they are being sold here at street markets. There is no law saying you cannot use sex toys, so they can also be charged by that old customs rule and that's why you never see them being used in public. :rolling laugh: A dildo is just a material in the shape of a penis, nothing is illegal about that. They even sell them at markets as a good luck charm.

Chili Pepper, thairak, SooKee and 2 others like this.
  15. Konvict
    Relaxed

I vape in hotel rooms with a window open or blowing the vapor into the bathroom, just to make sure that alarm will not go off. I tried blowing, a few years ago, vapor directly to the smoke alarm and it didn't go off. I am a MTL vapor, so that is maybe the reason why I don't have any problems with this.

v 4 vendetta, thairak and Siam Diesel like this.