1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Proposed Thai Laws for Vaping in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by glenn, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Imagine, not only in the LOS there are such "strange" vape-laws, people who travel to Carribean Islands, like the Dom.Rep are allowed to "import" (bring along their e-cigs, mods, etc.) into the country as many as they want, even allowed to vape outdoor and in public places BUT are not allowed to fly back home with their own e-cigs.... !!! YES its really true!! How stupid is this?

sorry for "off-topic" but I had to post this

debatedude, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Heard about that...it's one way to stock the local vape stores. :D

jpr, Konvict and Sue like this.
  3. Vapoman

Vapoman Member

Got pulled over the other day on the road in Lad Prao, in car, and had my Kangertech Subbox Mini with me in my pocket, which I forgot about. When being searched they cop took it out and said "smoke", which I replied "yes". Nothing said or confiscated, but my gf told me they were looking for drugs. Still though, was rather surprised.

4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

You got lucky...an honest copper (or one who knows that it's safer than the stinkies...or both). Either way, count your lucky stars! :)
    :vaping: :vaping:

5. jorakae

jorakae Well-Known Member

I just saw this post on the ECST group on Facebook. The short of it for those who don't use FB, this guy got banged up in Phuket at a police checkpoint and cost him 80,000 baht to get out of jail. Photos of the receipt and charges are in the post. Essentially saying he was a smuggler.

Facebook

Be careful out there ladies and gents.

Konvict, Siam Diesel and jpr like this.
  6. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

I live in Pattaya where road blocks with inspections are common. I never take my vape gear out of my house. To do so you must expect trouble. I vape only in my home. This means that on occasion I must use cigarettes as I simply have no choice. Sad situation all round. Unless they decide on a method to tax vaping and change the law this is the only reasonable approach.

7. jorakae

jorakae Well-Known Member

What disturbs me the most about this situation is that they are targeting the common man. People who simply choose a better alternative to smoking and are trying to make their lives healthier/better. Jail time is absolutely ridiculous. This is getting well out of hand and only seems to be getting worse.

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  8. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Not looking to pick an argument, but yes... yes you do have a choice - and yours is to smoke.

9. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

Oh dear, I don't really understand the post in FB although switched to "translation", what kind of road block he's writing about? Why are poeple inspected just for nothing, without suspicion? Can you go into details what happened to this guy in the FB post?

10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

When he goes to court, they'll fine him 4x the cost of the mod (because he's obviously not a smuggler) and they'll have to refund the balance of his bail...complete & utter idiocy seems to reign here at the moment.
    :lost it: :depressed:

Konvict likes this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

It's a random checkpoint...ostensibly to check for helmets on motorcycle riders, driver licenses, etc...but they just search away (and even if it's illegal, they do it anyway). :(

Konvict likes this.
  12. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Well-Known Member

So, that means, after checking helmet, driver licences and/or other legal papers for identity, and everything is fine, they are allowed even to check all your pockets and handbags? And if an e-cig is found in your pocket (even if not used), you're lost? why? The law says: Possession is legal, just outdoor use is forbidden, only in private.

jpr likes this.
  13. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Seen you mention this a few times. Is this what has been happening if you go through the system, rather than submitting to the temptation of corruption?

14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

It’s my understanding that there is no law regarding possession, only a ban on the import & sale since the end of 2014. Basically, they’re making it up as they go along.
    That’s what happened in the 1 case I’ve seen that’s gone all the way through the system (courtesy of FB translation). The hassle of going through the system, as opposed to the quick BiB benevolent fund donation, is the need to get an attorney, etc., etc., etc. Either way, it’s a dog’s breakfast at the moment. Bt 80k bail...geez, yah bah will cost you 1/4-1/3 of that. What a joke. o_O
    :vaping: :vaping:

15. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

I am guessing you are new to Thailand? This has very little to do with laws and everything to do with extorting money whenever and wherever possible.That is the Thai way. I have had my person and my vehicle searched many times at these road blocks without any reason. There is no resisting possible without making matters worse. In some cases even if they find nothing they will still make an excuse to ask for money. The police in Thailand act as judge and jury. You can resist but the results will be expensive and unpleasant.