1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Proposed Thai Laws for Vaping in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by glenn, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

It's been in place since mid-2015...
    Worldwide Ban of Vapor Devices in Checked Baggage | Thailand Vapers
    How did they know you had a mod in your checked luggage? I travel out of Swampy frequently and always put my mods in my checked luggage (sans batteries, of course) and have never had this happen.

debatedude, Jazz2017 and Chili Pepper like this.
  2. Lee

Lee New Member

Ok my bad, yesterday the photo was only half there, today the whole picture is showing on my mobile and i can clearly see it now

3. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

batteries not accepted in the checked luggage isn't new
    mod w/o batteries is maybe a thailand specificity? they don't care in France,
    I got the same joke in don muang, 3 month ago ( nok air bkk- udon) . after x-ray, they make an announcement.
    they look an e-mod, they ask me to remove it. I argue I got the batteries in hand luggage, they let it go.
    I think that now with the new phobia, I should have to remove it.
    joke on; should we now fly in thailand only with mech mod? joke off

Jazz2017, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

That's what I do - no joke

jpr, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

If it was a tube mod, the next time I traveled, I'd break it down into smaller pieces (if possible). If it was a box mod, I'd tell 'em it was a power bank.

jpr, Konvict and debatedude like this.
  6. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

me too (quality clone mech and atomizer) plus the special 510 head flash light (thank you for this thread)

debatedude, Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  7. biatch0

biatch0 Well-Known Member

Already knew about the "ban"... but it generally refers to mods with non-removable batteries and I've been checking in my mod (with battery removed and placed into hand lyggage) for years. This is the first time I've seen a notice specifically mentioning vape mods in general no longer being allowed in checked luggage. This includes about 2 weeks ago when I flew through Don Muang on the way up to Udon... and the previous time I flew to and back from Don Muang a month before that (and a bunch of times before that as well). The post in general wasn't about the ban, more about the specific mention of vape devices that I've never seen before in Don Muang (or any of the other airports I go through for that matter).

As to how they knew I had a mod in my checked luggage... no idea honestly. It was my VT133 with no batteries, standing upright when the bag was laid on the X-Ray machine. I usually put it in that position because I figure it'll have a smaller cross section and appear less like a mod... but then again, I only need to do this when travelling in/out of Thailand... I just carry my mod with me into almost every other country I travel to since it's perfectly legal. After my bag passed through the X-Ray, the people at security said "Buree Fai Fa" and made smoking gestures... and motioned to remove it and put it into my hand luggage. They obviously knew exactly what they were looking at, and didn't seem like they intended to squeeze any baht out of me... so I had no problem complying.

8. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Was this after you had checked in the bag with the airlines? I've been through a few airports where they x-ray your luggage before you hand it off...more curious than anything else BTW. ;)

I agree that's the intent...but it doesn't specifically state that in the ICAO regulations, from whence comes all this. :)

jpr and Konvict like this.
  9. biatch0

biatch0 Well-Known Member

It's the first security X-Ray before you drop off your checked bags and check in if you haven't already at Udon (if you know the airport) where you scan only your checked luggage and not your hand luggage. Thailand is probably the only place I can remember where they scan the checked luggage before allowing you to drop it off... but then again I could be forgetful or I just travel to places where they don't do that.

I'm also curious about the whole vape device thing being on notice boards in Don Muang, mainly because I figure they wouldn't do that for something that's "illegal"... For example, they wouldn't say, "Kindly keep your _insert illegal drug here_ in your hand luggage only". I was hoping it was a sign that the Thai government was becoming more open or flexible towards vaping... partially also because I read something a couple of days earlier on a Thai Facebook page (Stop Cigarette Smoke Thailand or something like that) that mentioned something positive about possession and said it was a breakthrough, but didn't fully understand it thanks to bad translation.

10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I think I saw that on FB, too...do you have a link that you could post here...maybe someone with a Thai significant other could translate it for us. ;)

They used to do that in Manila, too...but it's an old airport with old scanners. At places like Swampy with more current equipment, they can see Li-Ion batteries during their scan. I suspect that if they see what looks like a mod but without batteries, it gets waived through, which is a good thing because my checked luggage is already plastic-wrapped and removing it would be a royal pain in the arse! :)

jpr, debatedude and Konvict like this.
  11. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

Facebook

Basically they are are saying that the law only applies to selling and importing vape gear. Not to buying, possession or use. The part of avoiding duties is down to the person importing and selling, not the user. They advise if being stopped by the BiB to not sign anything or to any wrong as there is actually no law they can charge you with. If the BiB get stroppy, get a lawyer.

12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Guess the powers that be didn't like this out in the open...or I didn't know the secret handshake! :(

upload_2017-7-29_14-15-53.png

13. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

Sorry! Link I sent just now came from a secret group on FB. Looks like they are going to have a Q&A session on the topic on Channel 9 on Wed. 2nd Aug. at 11:30 am.

สรุปให้นะครับ รายละเอียดทั้งหมดไปรอชมในรายการ NBTมีคำตอบ วันที่ 2สค เวลาประมาณ 11.30 ครับ

อ.ประมาณบอกว่า การครอบครองใช้ส่วนตัวไม่มีความผิด และการโดนจับข้อหามาตรา 27 27ทวินั้นใช้ไม่ได้ เพราะเป็นมาตราศุลกากรที่ใช้กับผู้นำเข้า เราไม่ได้นำเข้า และของต้องห้ามไม่มีฐานภาษีจะอ้างว่าครอบครองของหนีภาษีนั้นไม่ได้ ถ้าโดนจับข้อหานี้ให้ปฏิเสธทุกข้อหา และ ห้ามเซ็นรับสารภาพ ให้แจ้งไปว่าจะให้การในชั้นศาลพร้อมทนายเท่านั้น

ส่วนถ้าเจ้าหน้าที่ค้นในด่านเจอแล้วอ้างว่าเป็นความผิดซึ่งหน้าก็ไม่สามารถทำได้ เพราะตามมาตรานั้นเราต้องเป็นคนนำเข้าเท่านั้น ไม่เกี่ยวการครอบครอง ฉนั้นแล้วโดยสรุปทั้งมวลคือ เราใช้ยังไงก็ไม่ผิด ไม่ได้ขาย ไม่ได้นำเข้า

[​IMG]

Chili Pepper and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

15. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

I have two of those myself. I am a collector of hand-made tactical flashlights.