1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Proposed Thai Laws for Vaping in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by glenn, Jun 11, 2016.

1. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

From what I understand this is getting pretty real and out of control, I will personally vape only at home until something moves....

This seems to be the way they are going, full ban like in Singapore.

AI-NAAM, Emmess and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. colind88
    Devilish

colind88 Well-Known Member

Ïn response to the current situation - theoretically if a policeman stopped you and you said you bought the mod in Thailand on the street -perhaps you don't remember where or are vague- ummm what are they going to charge you with?

3. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

Like I mentioned before, they eventually (read EVENTUALLY) might not be able to charge you for anything. But are you prepared to go down to the police station and argue out the case with them. Eventually they CAN keep you behind bars overnight till you can contact someone to get you bailed out. Then after that the courts business begins, where you will be required to be present each time there is a hearing. I personally would not be interested in all that hassle.

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge

AI-NAAM, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I don't think they particularly care where you got it...they may not even ask. The simple act of possession is enough for them to presume you're guilty and drag you down to the station to hassle you, fine you, or worse, throw you in jail and force you to go through the Thai legal system.

You may ultimately be vindicated in court, but who needs that heartache, aggravation and stress for a prolonged period?!? Going to do my utmost to avoid that happening.

5. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Ok so is it illegal to own your own mod and vape with it publicly?
    I asked a Thai vendor and they said it's getting worse but they never mentioned about the illegal to own your own mod and vape with it and I'd have thought they'd have been in the know

sent from my ProVape Radius

Konvict likes this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Presumably it is since you're in possession of an "illegal import". Our member wasn't publicly vaping. He got done for just having it on his person...the BiB only saw it when he was asked to empty his pockets.

Sent from my P3 Ti...

AI-NAAM and Konvict like this.
  7. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

@Siam Diesel : your point is not understood. The statement made just boils down the intended associations to be made by anyone who consumes the news story and related images. Whether conscious or not there is now a causal link in the minds of many people between vaping and serious crime. It can be reasonably suggested that this was no accident and that whoever is behind putting the pictures together with the story did so with a very specific intent.

Perhaps it is not as obvious to others but this is the type of manipulation employed to shape public opinion. It is very real and should not be too quickly dismissed. Another very legitimate suggestion to be made is that the fate of vaping could very well be decided by battles to determine who most successfully controls public opinion on the matter.

Perhaps the decoding of the message alone was not enough. With this added bit of context, the hope is that it can be agreed that a public forum is precisely the place for such comments as awareness ought to be spread of this type of intentional mass subconscious manipulation.

Fastoche, Loki and AI-NAAM like this.
  8. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

From the latest news it seems that the end customers are actually the target, and let's be honest that is the best way to blank ban vaping if that is truly their intention.

Not to mention that the Thai vaping community is probably not big enough to get into a battle where there is a chance to win.

I might be wrong and I even hope so but it does look grim...

BillD likes this.
  9. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

10. Dck87

Dck87 Member

If you search for #‎ยังไงกุก้อไม่ยอมให้มึงติดคุกปุ่น‬ - It's effectively just that story.

From rough translation, bail is 150,000 baht, and 2-3 days in police custody.

11. Hakiim Raouf

Hakiim Raouf Well-Known Member

I'm going to Bangkok next month. So is it safe to say now that I should leave all my vaping equipment at home?
    Damned..!!!

12. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

Well if that's so, then anyone that's ordered online potentially is at risk, passwords for email accounts (etc) are quickly given up under threat of five years in prison.

And probably should cease using this website as IP addresses can be tracked too.

However, if mass arrests, fines and jailings are to happen, Thailand may have trouble keeping social (and ordinary) media quiet, could be quite embarrassing to be seen to be persecuting people who aren't harming themselves or others.

So far I've only read of one confirmed instance of a member on this forum, and not sure that constitutes a precedent, or a change in the operation of the law. We'll have to wait and see.
    **Updated**
    Ps, it seems there's more chatter going on in Thai (according to @Siam Diesel) which I don't read (Thai language, not SD, love to read his stuff), so, again, we'll have to wait and see.

BillD and AI-NAAM like this.
  13. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

My daughter reads Thai and says there are many comments on Thai social media about the problem. None of it is good news. She lives with me and is actually concerned for my safety even though I mostly vape at home but I do order my items online from Thai sources.

BillD and AI-NAAM like this.
  14. samui

samui Well-Known Member

I've just been in bangkok last weekend vaping in public and in view of cops on two occasions, i was completely unnaware of these new laws at the time. After reading these posts i feel quite lucky to escape hassle free. Also passed through surat thani , chiang mai , and swampy airport security with vape gear trouble free thankfully.

15. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

No need to worry about that there's no way my hosting company would give out such info and I have a backend blanket on the database which could wipe out ips too

rob, Scuba Vaper, farangmick and 6 others like this.