1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

OFFTOPIC: So i bought myself a Android TV Box

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by oil, Jul 27, 2015.

1. oil
    Bitching

oil Thread Starter Custom What?

... which was luckily for me preconfigured with Kodi, so i dont have any issues running it, although the Box always displays movies in the wrong aspect ratio which is annoying indeed.
    Hence was wonder if somebody else knows where to get help, google wasnt too helpfull, all results where just where to buy one LOL

2. glenn

glenn Well-Known Member

I have the Minix neo x8 and it has the aspect ratio etc under settings ,not sure which of the many android boxes you have though ? im sure they are all similiar in terms of setting etc.Best 5000 baht ive spent as there are no subscriptions etc etc,check utube out for new repositories etc

3. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

How does this thing actually work ? What can you see on it ? I got an Apple TV for a coupes of weeks and found it totally useless.. :(

Ridwan Hartono likes this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I've got one of these, too. On mine, the aspect ratio is adjustable in the settings menu.

It depends on the software that's loaded...it searches out pre-set streaming sites. I just finished watching all 5 seasons of Game of Thrones on mine.

Tibo likes this.
  5. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

What about live feed tv channels ?

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

It has those, too...I watched the Semi's & Final of the Women's World Cup on BBC 2...

7. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Bit out of touch with all this stuff myself, last thing I bought was a WDTV Live about 6 years ago that the remote packed up on. Fortunately my phone has an IR blaster.

Sounds like a decent investment.

Tibo likes this.
  8. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

So would you guys advise these above the True Vision package ?

I pay around 800thb per month and I never watch it as I found the programs stupid.

9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

No...but I'm a TV fan...I have True Vision & CTH (for the sports) as well as local cable... ;)

The key for all these boxes is a fast Internet connection...you need a stable download speed of at least 3MB, and 5MB is recommended.

What I like about the download box is that there's no censorship...True shows GoT and True Detective but they're 'edited' for Singapore's sensibilities...drives me crazy when the picture jumps ahead.

Tibo likes this.
  10. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

I prefer a blank screen to truevisions. I had it for a few years then another 18 months when I moved, even with platinum I grew tired of the crap repeat cycle which seemed to be every 8 hours and only watched Tottenham.
    Cancelled it, then 18 months later signed up again. First show I saw was a repeat of a repeat they were repeating the last time I had it, they had even dumped BBCe which was the best channel (imo).

Not sure what it's like now though.

Scratchy, judas and Tibo like this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

It's about the same...I have it for the live sports, F1, Champion's League, etc. BBCe is back but they do a lot of repeats, too...

12. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

My connection is quite fast so that should not be an issue.

I was just wondering if it worth it over (not above sorry lol) True Vision. I don't watch sports at all, very rarely movies as my subscription does not include the channels showing new movies.

I love documentaries but real ones, not the crappy US real life program with 2min advertising every 3 min, that is something I cannot stand.

I watch DMAX for motorshow and Science Channel. But I basically took True Vision for TV5, the only french channel. Though I found out it is the home of Canadian soap series and old french movies so again, pointless..

I was hoping Android TV could help me find nice documentaries, maybe tv shows that could interest me and youtube channels.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  13. oil
    Bitching

oil Thread Starter Custom What?

ha ha sweet i had the same and the WDTV i didnt even had the Live one was a great device i loved it

cant say too much on this, cause i never had this package, so it really all depends on what you are looking. My British Neighbor cancelled his Expat TV and various other subscriptions after he had have the Android TV box for some time.

But one thing is utmost crucial it really depends on your internet speed if that isnt top notch dont even go for it.
    i bought this one @ GB - MXIII - G TV Box 2GB RAM 8GB ROM 4K x 2K H.265 Decoding Google TV Player Android 4.4 Quad Core Amlogic S812 1000M Ethernet HDMI 2.4G 5G WiFi Bluetooth Connectivity-63.99 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    and i love it so far, just the funny from time to time 16:9 Aspect radio not being correct and the sound output via HDMI to the TV seems rather thin compared to my old Media Box, which was more or less only a Hard Disk Storage of Movies.

So what i used to do was downloading movies of my interest on the PC and slammed it on some HD and watched it from there. I didnt quite know what to expect myself from the Android TV box, but with a full Kodi Install there i basially have access to all the movies in the world even the newest ones for free. The Quality is as good as your interent speed. All the Music basically no limits all.

just having the 2 little troubling issues from time to time ...
    will hopefully solve them soon

Tibo, Rick O-Shea and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

So this is easy to install and set up ? The software inside is unique or do I have to choose among several available ?

As for movies or series, does it download torrent and save the file in the box or is it only streaming (and does it recommend streming website ?)

Sorry for the flow of questions but I am really interested !

15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Most are plug and play...mine uses an HDMI connection.

You have to choose...there are several available afaik.

Mine only streams...it would need a large HDD to download and save torrents. And yes, the software points you at various streaming sites...at least mine does.

Tibo likes this.