1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

OBS Engine... Best RTA Ever?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by yourauntbob, Feb 12, 2017.

1. yourauntbob
    Happy

yourauntbob Thread Starter hair club for men member

I had given up on rebuildable tanks because i was never good at getting them to wick properly. For a while i have been exclusively using tanks with premade coils. I have a few versions of the kayfun and 4-5 others but never really enjoyed the vape on any of them because they were too difficult to get just right. A few weeks ago I was watching "Mike Vapes" best of 2016 and he had some great things to say about the OBS Engine. I figured i would give another tank a try and worse case i am out $30.

Wow, am I in love with this tank (mini version). The build deck is super easy to work with and wicking keeps up surprisingly well. I have yet to get a dry hit using standard kanthal builds. The flavor is as close to a dripper as you can get.

This is the best designed tank on the market IMO. First, it gives you easy access to the build deck without draining the tank. Second, you wicking falls right into the juice well for continual wicking. Third, easy top fill without tinkering with juice control (sorry kayfun, but i am looking at you). Fourth, airflow is amazing. When fully open it give a very airy draw but when fully closed there is NO airflow. Which means its good for no matter how you vape. Last, which was extremely clever, because the chimney is fat at the bottom there is never much juice in the juice well. This means if you turn it upside down the juice rolls down the outer portion of the inside of the tank. NO LEAKING, none period. It is my estimation you would have trouble trying to get it to leak other than no closing the juice port.

To anyone who is looking for a tank, I would HIGHLY recommend it. As for myself, I plan to order 2-3 more which is saying something because I have never purchased a duplicate on any of my mods or attys.

To the folks at OBS :bravo::thank you:

Dieter., farangmick, moonoy93 and 3 others like this.
  2. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

thank you for your feedback.
    this OBS have good feedbacks with the "anti leaking system" even as single coil.
    (sorry in german)
    I have read that there is also a single coil deck version

Dieter. likes this.
  3. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Well-Known Member

ive got the single coil version on order--its called obs nano rta- these new single coil rta's are really good--i have a spiral and a ijoyexo rta--both are great. finally I can phase out my subtank minis with tanks that perform better without having to go high wattage . the spiral puts out the best flavor of anything I have tried

4. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

@yourauntbob

Thanks for a great review.....

I saw the review on 'Mike Vapes', and I have been toying with the idea also...

I've had similar problems,with Kayfun 5, the wicking can be a pain, I have the Mage and the Hurricane, they are good flavour tanks -IMO..

Another RTA new on the market,is attracting my attention is The Troll,
    Mike Vapes & Rip Trippers state, in their opinion
    the flavour is insane......

As for the Engine, Gearbest had a promotion , not sure if it still applies....

5. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

I have the full size version and I love it. It did take a few attempts to learn how to build it for my taste, but after I got it right it is a great vape. Thanks for posting the video I never would have thought to try a single coil build in it. Now I am anxious to try it. I vape at what most people would consider lower temps so a single coil might be just the ticket for me.

I have a Kayfun v5 and I never found it difficult to build or wick. I cannot really understand those comments. Of all my rta's the Kayfun v5 is probably the easiest to build without ever a problem. Only problem is re-wicking it without losing juice. I solved that with an old empty atomizer box. Just stuff in some tissue to hold the chamber upright in the box while I re-wicked the bottom build section. Problem solved.

moonoy93 and jpr like this.
  6. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

My Kayfun 5 is a SXK clone...

Maybe it was my wicking material, or too thick/thin cotton,
    the juice flow is very temperamental,sometimes I get a bubble, sometimes not, unfortunately the clone,didnt come with the 'logo'. so its not easy to gauge ,how many turns..

I've had no problems with leaking, I also bought the 'original' screws & o-rings... building a coil is no issue for me..

At the moment, I have a SS Clapton coil, vaping at 16.5w reading 0.21ohms..

7. Chodi

Chodi Well-Known Member

2 comments about your Kayfun experience. I find that builds above .5 ohm work much better in the kayfun. The chamber is very small. I actually always build mine above 1 Ohm. I vape around 10-14w depending on the specific build. The small chamber is not really designed for sub ohm vaping.

Your problem with the wicking goes to the selection of juice as well as the issue of opening the juice flow. I usually vape 70/30 juice. I open my Kayfun 3 turns and the juice flow is perfect (I have a logo that makes that simple). On yours if you open it until you see the first bubbles start to rise that should be enough regardless of your choice of juice. Of course if you are using juice that is above 70vg you will likely run into problems as the vg is thick. If you have to do more than 4 turns to get bubbles upon first open on a fresh build something is wrong.

farangmick, moonoy93 and jpr like this.
  8. kevin bangkok

kevin bangkok Well-Known Member

You"ve talked me into it shipped out today,ordered the big one 5.2 ml should last
    for a while,like the look of it as well....hope it makes it.........lol

9. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

Just got an OBS Engine today...

One word.... Flawless....

10. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Can't say I was overly impressed with mine, I swapped it with @skeeters who didn't seem too impressed either - although that may have changed.

Nakhonsisean likes this.
  11. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

Won mine in a competition and after seeing all the rave reviews was expecting great things. It's been a disappointment so far, maybe just my wicking. I've tried wicking it in a multitude of different ways and with a variety of builds but either seem to get a gurgling tank or dry hits. Occasionally I'll get a build that gives me a good vape for a single fill but on the second fill it starts to give me dry hits and mediocre flavour. Sure it must be my fault with all the reviews hailing it's greatness.

12. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

@Nakhonsisean

I followed this guy's tutorial, about the build and wicking method..

Placing the coils, really high up... near the top of the posts..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Nakhonsisean likes this.
  13. Nakhonsisean

Yes! So did I, amongst others! Maybe it's just my clumsy hands!

moonoy93 likes this.
  14. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

My major problem is always the wicking...

Too thin cotton... burnt taste..

Too thick cotton - dry hits...

I have a metal tooth pick, which I 'comb' the ends of the wick, this enables
    the cotton to absorb the juice more easily..

Nakhonsisean likes this.
  15. Nakhonsisean

Yes, I do the same.
    Well, just spent 20 minutes rewicking the thing. VERY carefully! Lets see how it goes!