1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Nicotine Levels: Sub Ohm vs. Above Ohm Vaping

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vaping Newbies' started by Cloud-9, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Cloud-9
    Artistic

Cloud-9 Thread Starter Member

I've been vaping for about 4-weeks now and from the beginning I've been sub-ohming 6mg's.. Naturally, my first 4-5-days without cig's was pure chain-vaping, but by the end of the first week I started to settle in and now 6mg's of nicotine is more than enough to keep me off the coffin nails.. Last week my 0.5 coil started spitting/leaking so I switched over to my 1.0 ohm coil but this made my 6mg juice vape more like a 3mg juice instead.. So does this mean that I need to vape a higher nicotine juice when using a device setup for above ohm vaping??.. For example, 6mg for sub-ohming but 9mg when I'm setup for above-ohm..

I've been hearing a lot of the pro-vapors talk about using both sub ohm "and" above ohm devices with different nic-levels in each to suite their day-to-day vaping conditions.. To be perfectly honest, the thought of being able to spend a whole day out running around with the wife-n-daughter above ohm vaping on a 2ml tank that lasts all day definitely sounds like something I'd like to know more about!!.. LOL

:very good:

2. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

I am already vaping 3 years with 1.8 ohm coils and 12mg juices and use 3 - 5 ml a day.

I think an average person needs a total of 40 - 60 mg of nicotine to feel satisfied.

jpr likes this.
  3. Cloud-9
    Artistic

That sounds about right, I was smoking about 30 full flavor SMS cigs a day and I guessed them to be roughly 1.5mg each which rounds up to 45mg's a day.. I read a really good article on how to calculate nicotine for your e-juice, I'll have to see if I can find it again to link it here, it was super helpful.. I guess some university did some extensive vape testing to see just much of e-juice nicotine makes it into the vapor itself and the findings showed that on average only 50% actually makes it into your lungs.. During my first few days vaping I used their test results to get a rough estimate of how many cig's my 2ml tank should be worth and it was surprisingly accurate..

With a 6mg juice 2ml would be 12mg in liquid form, divided by 2 would leave you with 6mg of nicotine in the vapor which at roughly 1.5mg per cig should put you at about 4 cigs per 2ml tank.. When I smoked I would chain 3 cigs over 30 minutes with my morning coffee, my first 3-5 days vaping I would vape 3/4 of my 2ml tank with my coffee which was right on target with the math.. I initially figured that I'd need to start vaping with a 9-12mg juice but finding anything higher than 6mg in TLOS was like trying to find bigfoot, or nessy.. A doctor told me once that the chemical side of cig-addiction was out of you system in 7-10 days, after that it's all psychological, so I just set it in my mind that I'd adjust to the 6mg in 7-10 days and that would be my new normal.. lol

4. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

that sound.
    a standard filter tip is about 0.9mg
    if you think this frame can be right even with 10 to 20 % margin error.
    30 mbr can be 10ml of 6mg/ml liquid +/- 20 %
    Consommation E-Liquide
    out of topic: sure: quitting is easier outside , starting with 12 or 18 mg/ml liquid for for heavy smoker (or non filter cigarettes addict)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Siam Diesel likes this.
  5. Cloud-9
    Artistic

I read that article at least 3 months ago so I'm sure there was more involved than what I could squeeze into a post a my mobile.. I still have a few articles that I saved but my favs folder was getting too full so I've deleted a lot of stuff since then, but here's a good I still have.. It's not same one that I mentioned but still a really good reference for trying to calculate what you were getting from the old nasty's..

How Much Nicotine Is In One Cigarette?

Anyhow, the main reason that I started this thread was more to do with vapors that switch between sub/above ohm vaping devices that require different levels of nicotine based on their intended application of a particular device.. For example, I ran into a guy last weekend at one of the vape booths I've been going to recently and he was telling me that due to current sketchiness of vaping laws in Thailand he sub-ohms at home and when he's out in public he use's a smaller above ohm device.. The way he explained it was that while sub-ohming he uses a 9mg juice, but with his smaller "out-n-about device" he uses 24mg.. This got me wondering whether or not this would screw with your bodies nic dependency, or is it just a matter of knowing when you've had enough regardless of which device/nicotine level your using.. I would imagine that you could vape any nic-level and not be in any danger of raising your addiction as long as you put it away as soon as you've achieved satisfaction..

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

You may be trying to overthink this...I remember reading that we smoke a stinkie in ~10-12 mins, and to achieve the same nic level, it takes ~30-40 mins. of non-stop vaping (I'm paraphrasing now). Even first thing in the morning, I don't need to vape for 30 mins. At home, I just vape as I like...when I'm out, I can go several hours before I really need/want a vape. The pull of the nic is much less without all the boosters added to make it more potent. For me, the craving is currently at the same level as wanting/needing a cup of coffee. YMMV ;)

Currently, it's in vogue to use juice w/nic salts for higher nic vaping due to the quicker absorption...haven't seen any here and don't have any real desire to try it. I started at 16-18 mg nic & am happy at 12 mg currently.

As for the question in the OP, my rule of thumb is to halve the nic level if I'm sub-ohming or dripping (more likely the latter). If you get too much nic all at once, your body will tell you...when I get hit w/a nic rush, the world turns sideways! :D

oil, aging one, Dieter. and 2 others like this.
  7. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

The few times i have used sub Ohm tanks, I got a bit dizzy with 12 mg nicotine, so there i used 6 mg. Sub Ohm is to much for me, so I gave the tanks away after trying. Mostly I vape single coil between 1 - 1.5 Ohm and 10 - 12 mg nic. Your body will tell you, if you get to much nicotine.
    Dr. Farsalinos made the test and the nicotine level was 18 mg.
    ecig contra cig.png
    The second generation was an eVIC mod and an evod tank used in the test.

8. Cloud-9
    Artistic

So if I'm good with 6mg on a sub ohm setup then a good starting point for testing an above ohm device might be to pickup a small bottle of 12mg and zero-in from there..

The reason I'm so interested in sub vs. above ohm vaping is because I'm going to be flying back to the U.S. in a few weeks and practically everyone I know chain smokes over there so I'm trying to get my vaping defense strategy together before I get there.. lol

I ordered a Smok OSUB Plus and a couple of sample juice packs with assorted flavors/nic levels, mostly 6mg's for sub'n but I picked one each of a 9/12/18mg in 10ml bottles so I could experiment with the 1.0 in my ego.. That is, after I convert my dad over to vaping with it, he's already asking me a bunch of questions about it.. lol

jpr, Dieter. and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Since you'll have access, look into juice made with nic salts, too.

Sent from my P3 Ti...

Dieter. likes this.
  10. Cloud-9
    Artistic

Will do, there's a top-notch vape shop right down the street from my dad's.. I'm planning on picking up some wire for the Smok/eGo coils as soon as soon as I get settled in..