1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

New, unsatisfactory performance on unit?

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by imthebear, Jul 12, 2017.

1. imthebear

imthebear Thread Starter New Member

I just got my first unit. Snow wolf mini plus 80w, and a side tank (smok tfv8 baby). I am having some issues and the lack of instructions is not helping!

- First, some hits seem pretty harsh even with 70/30 vg/pg juice. GF can't stand it, smoking father as well, too harsh on occasions.

-Second, leaks on occasion, either tank. Vents closed, put upright, it got quite wet.

-On occasion, some juice pulls through to the mouth piece and gets lips wet, too strong of course at this time.

-Crackling sound, usually follows that it takes too long to pull out any vapor.

I have tried changing to a new coil, which its not really clear how often I should be doing this, or if there is a better way to save on these. I am playing around with all sorts of wattages but not getting the best of pulls.

I am new at this and its a bit overwhelming, but is there any way to fix these issues?

2. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

What juice are you using? What coils? And what temps? Did you prime the coils before installing them and vaping?

Harshness sounds like it could be poor quality juice, burnt coil or too high a grade nic level for an airy tank.
    Where did you buy the gear? Is the tank/coil original or a clone?
    Crackling sound is probably coming from a flooded coil.

I've no experience with the Smok baby tank, maybe someone else on here uses them and knows of leaking issues.
    But I don't think it's the best of tanks for someone just starting out vaping.

Siam Diesel, Rick O-Shea and jpr like this.
  3. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

smok tfv8 baby - ค้นหาด้วย Google
    some of the coils look to have trouble, You'll have maybe to wait the coils Version 2.
    I think that more the number of coil increase, more the probability of dysfunction grow.
    As Nakhonsisean write, not the best as first setup.
    **Updated**
    2 or 3 kinds of coils : 0.4 ohm double and 0.15 octuple coil ....one incompatible if you don't center the coil correctly?
    maybe only of these is default.
    If you just quit smoking and you're addict to nicotine, don't use .015 ohm coils vaping a 12 or 18 mg/ml nicotine liquid, it will be harsh.
    shops give good advises for quitting, feel sorry there is no shop around here, google and TV can be your friend.

Donkey and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. imthebear

I am using several different juices, quality ones though all with same issue. I am not sure of the temps, I use power mode in the recommended ranges of the coils (trying two different tanks). I primed coils assuming this is just putting some drops on the cotton and letting it sit for a while before using. I bought from thaivapegear and I believe they are originals but I cannot be sure as I am very inexperiences.

Why isnt it a good tank to start for beginners? I have also used the default tank with the unit, it sputters and spits back into the dripper into my mouth sometimes which is very unpleasant.

The default unit is the Q2 core (0.4 dual coils pre installed) on the smok, I have replaced it with the 0.15 octuple coils and its seemingly working better than the other two. I am using 6 MG maximum for the nicotine levels, mostly 3mg - 5 mg 50/50 vg/pg or 70/30 vg/pg .

Why wouldn't this be a good beginner unit, and is there any mod/tank that would better suit a beginner?

5. Donkey
    Amused

Donkey Well-Known Member

"sputters and spits" well sounds like you're getting plenty of juice to the coil (that is a good thing) but you might be firing too high try lowering your watts give your coil a chance to turn that juice into vapor.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  6. imthebear

I have been getting sputters as low as 30 watts and have only been in the 30-70 watt range, this new coil seems to be working much better, is it a sign the first tank may be bad?

7. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

@imthebear

Basically the TF8 tanks are basically 'fog machines' , they were aimed at vapers who like to
    blow massive clouds, using low nicotine strength, with high VG content..(minimum 70%VG)

For anyone who has just quit cigarettes,

I would advise to use a high mg of nicotine 18mg or 12mg... this would eliminate the initial cravings... then,with time lower the nicotine strength, then move onto tanks which support lower coil resistance..

Using a high nicotine liquid, the coil resistance must be higher (0.8, 1.0 etc), using a lower resistance coil such as 0.6,0.4 0.2 would make the juice unvapable...

Basically.. High nicotine - higher coil resistance =less power needed
    Low nicotine - lower coil resistance = more power needed

The device Snowwolf is great...

Spitback, or juice in the mouth, could be from overfilling the tank, or.. too much juice on the coil.

For a newbie ,I'd recommend the Uwell Crown version 1, -not version 2, they are cheap at Ecig market at the moment, but not sure about availability of coil heads..

The UWell Crown V1 also has a rebuildable deck, bought separately, which enables to make your own coils..

Coil head availability is obviously a problem in Thailand,, then the alternate way to go
    is building your own coils, which you can make to suit the coil resistance you require.

If you send me the link to Thai vapegear, then I'll try to recommend a tank..

Regards

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    jpr, Siam Diesel and Nakhonsisean like this.