1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

New to vaping just got my first TC vapor

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vaping Newbies' started by xqzme, Aug 10, 2016.

1. xqzme

xqzme Thread Starter New Member

Hi guys,
    first of all I wanna say that I am no native english speaker so please bare with me.
    And I am new to vaping! I basically have zero to little knowledge about it.
    I bought my first vapor last saturday at tawanna in Bangkok. It is a joyetech eVic VTC Mini. I payed 3k THB for it.
    It has a 0.2Ni coil build in.
    I am still trying to find my "sweet spot" and I am vaping now in the "power" mode with 40.0W on 0.26Ohms and 3.22V. I feel kind of underwhelmed with everything. First of all the taste is so different with every toke I do. Sometimes it is very strong and tasty and sometimes not tasty at all. Also the vape that is produced is not much or thick at all. And the mouth piece and the atomizer gets pretty hot after like 5-6 tokes.

I am looking for advice how to regulate my wattage and maybe what tank and atomizer I should buy that would fit my device.

Here is my device in pictures : Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thanks guys!

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

:welcome:
    If you're using a Ni coil, you should switch to TC mode. Ni coils don't work well in power (wattage) mode from what I recall...they're specifically intended for TC mode. Otherwise, switch to a different type of coil, i.e., Kanthal, Nichrome or Stainless Steel.

Edit: since this is your first thread and you're a new vaper, moving this to the New Vapers forum even if it is about TC.

Sent from my P3 Ti...

Konvict likes this.
  3. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Don't know what tank you have but sounds like it can't keep up with juice either. Lower you wattage to allow juice time to get to the coil. Ni200 is as mentioned a TC alloy. For power mode SS or kanthal only.

Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  4. xqzme

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome. Yes I am trying to use it in the tempSS mode but I think because the resistance is too low the device will automatically switch to the power mode.

5. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

I must say I am not sure if I understand you well but I'll try.

You have a Tron-S tank for your eVic Mini. To my opinion the included Ni 0.25 ohm coil does not work very well with this tank. If you set it to Ni mode (only Ni mode!), 230 Celsius at 35 - 45 W and air-flow almost open it can be made work. But vapour will likely be quite hot and you may experience a dry hit every here and then. Bin that one.

Use the included Ti coil - what was it 0.5 ohm? - instead, the one with the red o-rings. Unscrew the tank completely from the mod, mount the coil head. It is relevant to unscrew the tank from the mod, and screw it back only after the coil head is installed. If you install a coil head with the lower part of the tank mounted onto the mod it may cause wrong ohm readings. After everything is fixed back enter the menu system, adjust it to Ti mode (not Power Mode!), lock the resistance, set to 30 W, 235 Celsius, and adjust air flow to about 1/3 - 1/2 open. You still need to find your own personal settings but this will give you a starting point.

Or you use the included 1 ohm coil (black o-rigs), set it to 15 W, air-flow only 1/4 or 1/5 open.

In the future you can buy the so called CLR replacement coil heads for your Tron-S. These allow you to change the wire and wicking yourself, but even if you don't do that they perform better. The Tron-S works best with 0.5 - 1 ohm coils. I use almost always SS wire to make my own coils with the CLR heads.
    **Updated**
    Another thing, I just noticed that your coil is lacking the top seal. Could that be?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. xqzme

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply. I have to say that I only got one coil in my box. It looks similar to the one on your picture and says "0.2Ni" on it.

7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

^^^ Time to stock up. That coil will only work in Ni (TC) Mode. ;)

8. xqzme

Yeah I am just trying to figure out what to buy. The problem is that when I am trying to smoke in TC mode the mod switches back to the power mode. In the menu it says that when this is happening the Ohms are too low. So I am wondering why is there a Ni coil with .2 Ohms if the TC mode won't allow me to use these low Ohm counts

9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Is there a specific Ni mode?

I'd get some higher ohm SS or Titanium coils...Nickel is a PIA because the resistance is so low.

xqzme likes this.
  10. peter-k
    Fine

xqzme likes this.
  11. xqzme

Yeah there is an Ni mode but I also get switched back to power mode.

Thank you, Ill check where I can but it in BKK.

12. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Yes, do you specifically have the VTC Mini set to "Ni" mode? The VTC Mini has a few TC modes including "SS", "Ti" and "Ni". You should never vape Ni coils in any other mode except "Ni". There is also some kind of "easy" mode that has visual lines like a graph which can be adjusted down and up with a corresponding wattage value which I think may not be for TC coils. I never use that mode.

Oh and there's also "TCR" modes that you can save numerical values to memory. I would avoid those until you have things working and are more comfortable and experienced with vaping. The wrong values can create far too much heat or too little.

If your ohm reading is 0.26 it definitely should not be too low for "Ni" mode. However, it's possible you damaged the coil. As suggested earlier, I would get some new coils if you cannot resolve things. SS or Ti are good choices as Siam Diesel noted.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    xqzme likes this.
  13. xqzme

I am right now smoking in a mode called bypass I guess that would be the mode that you mean?
    When I am trying to smoke in the Ni mode even on low temps like 150°C the mod switches automatically to power mode.

I will get new coils asap! Thank you guys again!

14. peter-k
    Fine

That what Scratchy said. The coil can overheat relatively easy. Coils for your device in BKK are relatively expensive. Buy from overseas or buy another tank.

Your device should have come with three coils each one Ni, Ti and Kanthal.

DO NOT USE BYPASS for this Ni coil.

The different TC modes Ti, SS or Ni are submenus of the TC mode.

15. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Whoa! Do not use any other mode except "Ni" for Ni coils.

Try taking the atomizer off of the VTC Mini and let it cool down. Then when in NI mode on the VTC Mini, press the fire button a few times. It will say something like "No Atomizer". That is OK. Then put the cooled atomizer back on and if you are asked if it is a new coil, indicate/press "yes".