1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

My battery has expanded cant get it out of my mod.

Discussion in 'Vaping Maintenance' started by JohnKalasin, May 23, 2016.

1. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

JohnKalasin Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I was putting on two new charged battery's and then the mod got really hot and I opened the battery door..
    One of the battery's are stuck inside my CUBOID 150W MOD..

The display said check battery, my atomizer got really hot so did one of the battery's and now its stuck and I get get it out..

What do I do now to get it out? Drill a hole in the battery and try pulling it out?

2. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

I wouldn't suggest drilling a hole in a battery!

Maybe take a paperclip, make a hook (use tape around the metal so you don't make a short) and try to pull it out...

Siam Diesel likes this.
  3. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

its a two battery mod... It needs two batteris to power up.. i dont know what i can do
    **Updated**
    Never mind got it out!!! :D

4. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

If the battery has expanded, it has failed and was well on it's way to a full vent. It's a good thing you reacted as quickly as you did. Since the battery is no good anyway, you might try cutting the wrap with an razor knife and using pliers to grab the wrap and pull the battery out. Drilling into the battery is a very bad idea. If you cant get it out by traditional methods, disassembling the mod would be the next step.
    **Updated**
    I see you beat me to it. Before using the mod again, I would recommend trying to find out what went wrong. If there is a problem in the mod you could end up destroying 2 more batteries. I would also recommend not using the batteries that were in the mod at the time for anything else. Send them off for recycling.

judas, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

I am happy to hear that!

Now you only have to find the cause of this...

Were your batteries married?

JohnKalasin and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Lyss
    Bored

Lyss Well-Known Member

The short circuit definitely happened. You have to be lucky it not exploded, just came hot.
    Before inserting the new ones I'd find the source of short circuit. There's four possibilities:
    1) the atomizer. The coil inside.
    2) the thread (510 or w/e).
    3) the "motherboard" failed inside the mod. Barely possible.
    4) the plastic insulation on the battery.
    Some of those choices can be eliminated by simple answer to a question: does it happened right after inserting the batteries without any following action, or everything was ok until you pressed the button?

7. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

The Cuboid is supposed to have built in protection on the first two possibilities. Doesn't mean it can't fail which would point to number 3. 4 is a possibility as well as other battery stats. Are the batteries married? What brand are the batteries? How old are they? Definitely something that needs looking into.

8. Lyss
    Bored

Lyss Well-Known Member

According to this we have #4 - the batteries. Not necessary the insulation, but the battery compartment, and battery upside down not excluded until proven otherwise :)
    This sounds to me like "the police is supposed to protect and to serve", which it mostly does, but sometimes not :)

9. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Reverse polarity protection is built into the board so an upside down battery would not cause a failure except in example 3. If a short happened anywhere on the other side of the board, such as example 1 or 2 the board has built in protection for this as well. So if any of these were the cause, the only option is number 3, the board failed. If something happened with the batteries themselves, there is nothing the board can do. This is all conjecture until we know more details and I am very interested to find out what happened.

10. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

It did happen instantly after I closed the battery lid. I could feel the tank getting really hot so I was quick to open the battery lid(and the screen of my Cubis said check battery so I don't know if the cubis had it shut it down already I was quick on the trigger to open it up.
    And for sure there was something wrong with just that battery the other one works fine in my other mods..
    Anyways guys thanks for all the input. I gently pressed a knife in the - end of the battery and was able to get it out..
    The mod is working fine now with LG battery's. The battery that caused this was only a month old. Efest battery

11. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

So the batteries were no a matched pair?

12. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

Yes they where both Elfest bought together so they where same brand

13. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

I'm glad things didn't go really bad on you. A major problem was definitely averted. Would you mind posting pics of the batteries for us to see?

JohnKalasin likes this.
  14. JohnKalasin
    No Mood

The battery that almost exploded I throw away in the jungle outside the condo im renting. Sorry.. It was the bottom of the battery I stuck a small hole in it with a knife and I got it out and threw it away.. I don't know what caused this... wish I did.

Sent from my iphone 7 using Tapatalk

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  15. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

John, your capacity for humour is outstanding ...

Presumably the probably still dangerous effest battery, which could harm a passer by, was disposed of in a more socially responsible way. But thanks for a laugh :)

JohnKalasin likes this.