1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Cool Mad Dog RDA

Discussion in 'Thailand Vapers Reviews By Our Members' started by Tokay, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Tokay
    Lurking

Tokay Thread Starter Well-Known Member

So my prize from Heaven Gifts arrive and as promised I'll give my thoughts on it!

What's in the box?
    The Mad Dog RDA comes in a nice little presentation box with the RDA fully assembled encased in foam. Underneath it is your usual baggie of goodies with plenty of spare screws including some flathead screws to replace the star screws, this stops me from having to break out one of my magic blue screwdrivers and is definitely appreciated.

The Mad Dog RDA

The RDA itself is 24mm wide, constructed out of a magnesium-aluminum alloy which is light but feels nice, fairly decent build quality. The plastic-y bits on it are made out of PEI, a material similar to PEEK so they're fairly durable and heat resistant. I'm not gonna lie, the all gold color 2-post build deck looks nice. It really does look elegant.

Fairly deep juice well too and the deck is wide enough to fit clapton builds, which makes me happy.
    The RDA can be disassembled into post deck, top cap, drip tip, adjustable 510 pin and PEI washer thing - which screws onto the 510 connector and sits between the RDA and your mod. The drip tip is fairly wide and comes off pretty easy so you can drip down the cavity instead of removing the whole topcap. Its also small and easy to lose, which is why I try and avoid dripping this way.

The washer is an interesting bit. Whilst I initially hated it and wrote a whole paragraph about why I thought it was useless and a bodge to a design flaw, I unscrewed it to take a picture of how wonky the RDA sits without it I noticed it had caught a fair amount of juice (I tend to overdrip) which would have otherwise pooled up in my mod's 510 recess. This has made me very happy and changed my view of the Mad Dog. What was a con has now become a pro for all the constant overdrippers. Thanks Desire!

How does it perform?
    The RDA came with a fair bit of machine oil present so after a quick bath, I popped in and wicked my favourite dual clapton build which read at 0.22 Ohms. The deck was pretty easy to build on and after priming the wicks I popped the topcap back on and took a look at the airflow. Instead of traditional airflow holes, the post deck was milled at an angle which I guess was to direct airflow under instead of at the coils, a nice touch in my opinion what with all the rage of bottom coil airflow - flavourwise I can't tell the difference. One thing worth noting is that if you're dripping with the top cap off, these airflow guides make great slides for overdripped juice to leak all over your mod.

After the wicks were nice and primed I took my first few pulls with wide open airflow. Draw was nice and airy and clouds were fairly decent, on par with most mid range RDAs. Not a fan of wide open airflow so I shut it down to half airflow. Flavour improved quite a bit and clouds were still pretty decent at 55W. Flavour was pretty good and on par with what's to be expected from similar RDAs, nothing to write home about though. Re-dripping can either be done by either removing the drip tip or removing the entire topcap as with other RDAs.

Pros
    • Nice design.
    • Good build quality.
    • Decent cloud production and flavour.
    • Airflow guided to bottom of the coils.
    • Selection of screws in the package.
    • Easy to build on.
    • Deep juice well.
    • Washer that sits between the RDA and your mod to catch overdripped juice.

Cons
    • Small, loose drip tip which can be easy to lose.
    • Small drip tip also means its easy to touch your lips to the hot topcap.
    • Airflow guides act as slides for overdripped juice when dripping with the topcap removed.

Conclusion
    Overall this is a fairly decent, average RDA which performs like pretty much any other in the price range. If you're looking for a first RDA and already have experience with claptons and larger builds, its a pretty good choice and feels like it will last you a good while. If you're just looking to add another to the collection, the looks and little plate to catch overdripped juice are a nice touch.

Final Score: 7.5/10 Thanks again @Heaven Gifts !

20170127_200254.jpg

2. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

I hope you win some more giveaways. Great review! :very good:

I am personally very bad with review postings and say things like "I like it" or "Giveaway, nothing for me/not interested at all".:rolling laugh:

3. Tokay
    Lurking

Thanks! I hope I win more giveaways too :very good:

jpr, Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  4. chris snell
    Fine

chris snell crispenator

Built in battery or removable mate and how many , good score though for free .

5. Tokay
    Lurking

The prize was the RDA (tank bit) not the actual mod. The mod I'm using is an Rx200 with 3 removable batteries.

chris snell likes this.
  6. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

Great review, thank you for the feedback.

Tokay and Konvict like this.