1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Help Keep burning cotton with my OBS Crius RTA - But only some juices?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by santaclaus, Jun 22, 2017.

1. santaclaus

santaclaus Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I recently bought a OBS Crius RTA (v3 I believe). After a few failures wicking and installing coils, I've got it to work great and really like it.

The problem is that sometimes I get the cotton burning almost immediately. I have watched all youtube videos, tried different wattage, less cotton, more cotton etc.. Always let plenty of juice soak in before firing it. I'm using pre-rolled coils where the two give me a resistance of 0.4 ohm. I am using organic Japanese cotton. I use varying e-liquids with 6mg nicotine strenght.

However, this problem only appears with certain juices; those that are light or sweet and don't have any throat hit. For example, now I have re-built it over 10 times total trying to vape with Bumble Kiwi-licious e-liquid but always get the cotton burning. The same thing happened with another Malaysian sweet berry flavoured liquid.

When I use something else like right now OctoBrew Apple Crumble (pg50/vg50), it works perfectly. I also didn't have this issue with Bamskilicious Waleed pg40/vg60.

What could be the problem?

2. jorakae

jorakae Well-Known Member

This tank is my baby. If you fire it after you primed the cotton and before you put it in the tank, can you see what is happening with these particular juices? What wattage are you running at? The problem you describe is not one I've ever had but if you could maybe post a photo of your deck with and without cotton (preferably close up and from the side rather than the top) I might be able to offer some suggestions.

jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. Donkey
    Amused

Donkey Well-Known Member

If you burning cotton is has to be your wattage mate. Start low around 10w and work your way up till you get a satisfied hit. No need to blast watts to get a nice vape off your device.

You might also have some hotspots make sure you slowly test fire and tweak your coils before you slide your cotton in to work those hotspots out.

4. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

@santaclaus

Just a thought..

When you fill the Crius with juice, Do you open the juice flow control first,before firing?

What I normally do first is..

Close the juice control, and airflow hole completely.
    Fill tank.
    Open juice control.
    *5/10 Primer Puffs.
    Open airflow
    Vape normally

* Primer Puffs, are taking a light gentle vape, without firing the device, this should enable the wick to saturate with liquid....

Don't puff too strong, or you will flood the Crius ,with liquid, and it will leak through the airhole

5. santaclaus

When I fire it first before putting together, it seems to work ok and also for the first few puffs before the flavour goes terrible. I'm running it at 30w as under this there doesn't seem to be much vapour for this juice. I appreciate your help, I will put some photos below.

I vape this and other juice mostly at 30w. I have checked the coils too and seems to be no hotspots.

Yeah I usually do this but doesn't seem to help. The only way I can get a nice flavour with this kiwi juice is by closing the airflow and puffing to get more juice inside. At this point it starts leaking from the airholes, but I can actually taste that the juice has a great flavour if it would work.

Photos:

Here you can see how the cotton looks like when I added some Bumble Kiwilicious juice after using Octobrew Apple Crumble. With Octobrew, it worked perfectly until I switched juice. A few nice puffs and the flavour starts to taste burned:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below are photos of my coil and wicking with organic Japanese cotton. Before wicking, I washed the coils and dry burned it to clean any residue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the cotton tightness, there is enough to have the coils full of cotton but still loose enough to be able to pull them freely without making the mod fall down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've only put a little bit of cotton in the juice holes to ensure good juice flow. It's very loose in there and can e.g. easily still fit the mini hex key in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here we go. Now I've added some Octobrew again and it's working just perfectly at 30 watts. Now if I would switch to Kiwilicious the cotton would go black again.

jpr, jorakae, moonoy93 and 1 other person like this.
  6. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. jorakae

This is 8 wraps of 28g 316ss with an ID of 2.5.

image.jpeg

I keep my coil as close to the deck as possible without shorting as I find this produces the best flavor for me.

image.jpeg

I tuck those tails in.

image.jpeg

Just make sure you don't stuff the juice holes too tight and don't let any part of the cotton touch the air flow.

Still, it doesn't look like your current setup should be causing these problems. The next thing I would try is the problem juice in another tank with same set up and same mod and then problem juice with Crius on a different mod.

8. santaclaus

Thanks. I have tested it with my Melo III Mini tank using 0.3ohm coils, but it's not a great comparison since this tank really sucks and burns the coils with any juice unless the top lid is open. Main reason I switched to a new one. I haven't tried other types of coils with this RTA yet as I just got it a few weeks ago and very new to this.

Thanks for the photos!

9. santaclaus

How often do you guys re-wick with this mod? I bought some Cotton Bacon that seems to be better quality and helped a little, but I'm still having the cotton getting burned quite fast. Like I need to re-wick it every 2 days or so. Is this Normal? I vape under 1 tank per day. With those thick high VG juices it starts to taste bad almost immediately, but with these stronger MT baker 50/50 I can get it to last 2 days. Just for comparison, I could use the same coil on my Subox Mini for over 1 week.

10. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

I can't really help.
    As you write in your first post, juices are different, it mean that ( with vw mod) we should change the power to get what we like.
    I use the crius on a mech at .5 ohm (single serial) with about 50/50 juices (mentholated tobacco, fruits mix) and I really like it for flavor.
    out of thread:
    talking about dripper: you can sometime read that some juices can waste your coils after 2 days
    I test it 3 years ago with very very sweet Malaysian grape juice.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Dieter. likes this.
  11. jorakae

Looking at your photos again, if you are getting a burned cotton taste, I suspect there is too much cotton in there. You have cotton in the juice channels and on the sides. Just tuck the ends of your wick in the juice channels and that should be good. Make sure they are not completely stuffed in there, give them a little room to breathe. Presoak your wick from the holes of the juice channels. If you add a drop and it stays there for several minutes, you might have too much cotton in there. If you are getting good absorption and it isn't pooling in the juice wells, that is going to be just about right.

I rewick my Crius once or twice a week, depending on what juices I'm vaping. If you are on the Malaysian juices with loads of sweetener, I would often have to rewick once a day.

The ratio of VG/PG affects how much vapor is produced. Lower VG is thinner and produces less dense clouds but easier to wick. Higher VG is thicker, produces denser clouds but can be difficult/slower to wick with juice channels that are packed too tightly.

So to answer your questions, it depends.

moonoy93 and jpr like this.