1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Kayfun Rebuild Tutorial

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks For Vaping' started by ryanmacl, May 11, 2014.

1. Banjo

Banjo Member

Superb job Ryan. Surely the go to video on the subject. I really liked the green backdrop this time and i hadn't seen one of these things completely dismantled before. In fact i've never unscrewed the posts on mine through fear of putting it back together wrongly. I wouldn't hesitate to do it in the future with this resource available.

One question. My KFL has just the 510 hole in the bottom, though my Russian 91 has the second hole. I notice the FT clone you've linked to above has 3 holes. Are there any advantages to having two/three holes? I actually prefer the Kayfun as it's less prone to leaking than the Russian and wonder if it might be the single hole design.

2. BadWingman

BadWingman Newbie

The bigger phillips head screw is the bottom fill port. The small flat slot screw (just guessing) but looks like airflow control.

3. smithereens

smithereens Member

If it does indeed hold more juice that way, I can see that as being advantageous. I've been a bit cautious when taking a bunch of hits in a row because I'm a little wary of the wick not absorbing juice quickly enough (especially with the clone's shallow juice channels and with 80VG juice). I'll often hold off for a minute or more after a few back-to-back hits just to give the wick a change to absorb more juice.

Anyway, I found your wicking techniques to be the most interesting part of the video. If you have any other wicking tips, tricks or techniques for drippers, it might make for another good video tutorial.

4. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Great video, I learnt a lot, specially for the wicking part: thank you!

5. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

So did I, ive been building micro coils for about 6 weeks without any problems and wicking with cotton in a similar method to method 1. Today I coppied this to see if it made a difference, it uses a little more cotton than I usualy use and today the first time ive liffted the cotton off the deck as Ryan showes. Im amazed, vapor production up and I think I will have to drop my watts down from 10-9 as the flavour is warmer and richer. Just gos to show when it comes to wicking it can be in the small details. Thanks Ryan.

6. BadWingman

BadWingman Newbie

I do a version similar to the second but stick my wick to the sides and bottom of the deck much similar to the photo in the kayfun pdf. Great video. Love the work area you have.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Regarding the second wicking method, and viewing how the cotton is rolled, I am wondering if a similar result could be achieved using directly a mesh of Eco Wool of the same diameter and placing it just like it is done with the cotton... Actually, have some Eco Wool in stock, will make a test! Secondly, Ryan, thought that you were vaping low Ohms coils? This 1.6 Ohm coil is it for the video only or did you changed your way of vaping???

8. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Ekowool (silica) was the original method of wicking, which you can see on the Kayfun instruction manual. I prefer cotton because it is so easy to change when it gets gummed up.

As for low ohms, that is only on my drippers. My Kayfuns are always 1.6-2.4, depending on what device I'm planning on using them in. I vape my Kayfuns at 8-10 watts, personally I think it is the sweet spot for them.

9. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Answer to self: after 1st test, the second wicking method but using Eco Wool mesh instead of cotton looks like working pretty well, with the advantage of preventing the "rolling job".

10. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

Oops, didn't saw your answer before my last post... In fact, I didn't wicked the Eco Wool mesh like as per the usual Kayfun instruction (making the coil directly around the mesh), I did exactly as per your method after building and mounting the coil on the Kayfun and introducing the mesh in the mounted coil after putting little juice on it.

11. smithereens

smithereens Member

So, I tried the I-tayo wicking method again a few days ago, and this is my go-to kayfun wicking method for now. I gave up on the Kayfun for quite awhile because of the tight draw, but that's fixed now, and I've been using it again lately. I love how that wicking method allows me to use a thinner wick and have it the perfect size, and put it right where I want it. Since I started with the kayfun again, I've been using the clear tank that comes with the hcigar 3.1 so I can see how the wick is doing all that time. "Traditional" un-pre-juiced wicks tend to be fluffy and can also get moved aside a bit when screwing down the inner barrel, but the pre-juiced wicks give a lot of control. They are holding up better too. Really digging this method!