1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

is a Clapton TC possible ...

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by oil, Aug 7, 2016.

1. oil
    Bitching

oil Thread Starter Custom What?

i love TC vaping cause i dont have dry burns ... but ... clapton coils are so much better...
    hence was wondering if a Clapton TC would be doable?

2. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

I would think so, because a clapton is just two wires coiled together.
    :chinrub:

But don't take any advice from me, I don't make any coils myself and I don't use TC!:completely forgotten:

Siam Diesel likes this.
  3. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

I have built SS clapton coils and used with TC. Work fine. Just don't like TC!!!

jpr likes this.
  4. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Youtube is your friend :wink:

jpr, Longtail1 and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. ThaiGermanSamui

ThaiGermanSamui Well-Known Member

I have Alien Stainless Coils , works fine but personally i dont vape TC anymore ;)

jpr likes this.
  6. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

From all my previous readings, contact coils of any kind with TC can be fairly unreliable with performance and temp accuracy. I never use contact coils with TC. Only spaced and they almost always perform extremely well...they also gunk up less severely and quickly than contact coils. TC all the way for me as I strongly prefer a consistent temp and vape start to finish. Not to say a consistent vape can't be had otherwise but just not as consistent, especially if using coils that require ramp up time (a turn-off for me).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    peter-k and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

I concur with Scratchy said. An to add on, not only contacts coils tend to work inconsistent with TC (at least in it's current technological state), also they are not needed under it. Simple spaced coils let the aerosol escape better, which to my opinion is a better approach to increasing the heating surface and then the vapour popping inside in a tunnel.

hotdogs1 likes this.
  8. Carl2

Carl2 New Member

This is very interesting to me because I have some parts coming in and have been planning on building nickel vertical Clapton coils for use in the temp mode. Right now I have a Vaporesso Gemini RBA with two sets of 28 AWG nickel wire 17 turns each and it provides great flavor and vapor. I just want to see if the what the Claptons will do. Two coils on each side with the air passing through the center of the coils.

9. Don

Don New Member

It works for me. What I do is I make sure the clapton wire is wrapped tightly around the core. However, the wraps of the coils need to be spaced to have a constant resistance at a particular temperature point, because it would ohm out different values when the wraps contact and don't stay contacted firmly.

If you mix wire materials, make sure the material of the core works with TC and your mod supports it.

A useful tool for TC if you use a DNA mod Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators With this tool, you can make TC work with whatever coil you build, no matter how many wires you have in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. tecart
    Mellow

tecart Active Member

I vape SS316 Clapton coils in TC mode all day without problems.
    Question is can you vape hybrid coils in TC mode?

jpr likes this.
  11. tecart
    Mellow

tecart Active Member

Recently I started building some quite exotic coils in Stainless Steel SS316L wire for TC vaping.
    What I found is that the Mod and Atomizer are also an important factor to weather TC is going to work or not.
    For example I can put just about any Coil in a Goon 528 RDA and vape in TC control on a DNA with better performance than Wattage mode.
    On the other hand just got a Smok Alien and in Tc control that device doesn't work well at all even in Wattage mode ramp up time is slower than a DNA in TC mode.
    But my Smok AL85 works well with a Troll RTA in TC mode.
    Also got a Govad RDA which doesn't seem to work well in TC mode, for some reason it always throws out the wrong resistance and its constantly changing which throws the TC off.
    I think this is probably down to bad quality contacts 510 pin etc. effecting internal resistance.
    In my Goon resistance is solid and hardly ever changes and if it does by no more than .01.
    My conclusion so far if you want a perfect vape with any coil in TC mode get a Goon RDA + DNA device.
    Just my findings so far.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

I feel a little bit like you..., I have build with my brother wen I was in France for holidays, Clapton with a driller and the "well know" rat catching SS wire about 0.4mm ( 304 or 316 I don't know), it's work perfectly for TC, we went down easily to 0.35 ohm single coil, 0.20 double coil) it's was just experiment
    I'm quite sure that real quality Clapton wire (with 2 different gauge) will be much better, even if the clapton wire (0.35 ohm) given with the OBS engine nano was worth than the rat catching ss wire.
    what ever, I feel much comfortable with a simple single coil at about 0.5 ohm without TC. It's just my opinion.

Siam Diesel and Nakhonsisean like this.