1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Introducing the Evolv DNA 40 Temperature Protection Board

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by -V-, Oct 10, 2014.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Published on 9 Oct 2014
    A PBusardo Video - Introducing the DNA 40 Temperature Protection Board with a Special Guest

In this video, Brandon from Evolv shows up at the house to introduce the all new DNA-40 board featuring...

40 Watts Output
    Temperature Protection/Settings
    Soft Limiting
    Pre-Heat
    Reverse Battery Protection
    Step Down

It's the DNA board many of us have been waiting for!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. -V-
    Cool

Re: Introducing the DNA 40 Temperature

Same about the microphone problem very hard to hear Brandon...

3. -V-
    Cool

Re: Introducing the DNA 40 Temperature

Screen Shot 2557-10-10 at 11.35.12 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2557-10-10 at 11.35.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2557-10-10 at 11.35.50 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2557-10-10 at 11.36.09 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2557-10-10 at 11.36.53 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2557-10-10 at 11.37.01 AM.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. -V-
    Cool

:good idea::good idea::good idea::good idea::good idea::good idea::good idea:

5. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Very nice feature set!! Interesting the need to use Nickel 200 wire to take advantage of the temp control.

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Fascinating video! And just after I'd decided that I'd wouldn't need to buy another mod for awhile...that Vapor Flask looks pretty nice with the screen on top!
    :vaping: :vaping:

- - - Updated - - -

But I've heard they're harder than hell to come by...

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link to the Evolv DNA 40 Datasheet: Evolv LLC - Shop Now

7. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

No more dry hits...no more bad taste...no need for 2000 watts :grin:

8. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

Freaking amazing, I never would have thought of using "non-resistance" wire for heating. It does make sense though, the technology has been there for ages:

Resistance thermometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm guessing the Vapor Flask "DNA-30" that goes on sale on the 14th for $300 is really the DNA-40 version. I'll probably just wait for the Vapor Shark rDNA-40 and buy it for myself for my Christmas. Luckily I have a 100' roll of 28 AWG pure nickel lying around.

vs.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  9. -V-
    Cool

Nice on ryan, let us know if you hear anything more.
    Also could you please explain more about this
    thing for everyone.....:bravo:

10. ryanmacl

The DNA-40 needs pure nickel wire to do its temperature measurement. Pure nickel wire is commonly used by the vaping community as "non-resistance" wire, you'll find it inside many of the pre-made coils out there. As we all know, Kanthal and Nichrome are "resistance wires". When electricity is run through them, the resistance of the wire is converted to heat, which is what vaporizes your juice. "Non-resistance" wire is used for coils that have long "legs", since you don't want the legs heating up. This is why recoiling a Protank head with just Kanthal will cause the insulators to melt a little bit.

While we call it "non-resistance" wire, all metals have some resistance. Its what makes the switch on your mechanical mods heat up when the contacts get dirty, and its what makes a power strip get hot when you have too many things plugged in. The nickel wire that is required for the DNA-40's temperature feature, if used on a mechanical mod, will cause a short. If you use it on any other regulated mod on the market, it won't work. I'm not sure what method they used to heat up the nickel, but I'm guessing they are just using the buck circuitry to decrease the voltage. Lets say you buy an extension cord in America, one of those big orange ones. We'll say its rated at 110v/15A. If you bring it over here and plug it in to 220v, you'll be able to use it up to 30A because the voltage is doubled. Using Ohm's law, the .06 ohm coil on Phil's DNA-40 would be using around 13A and .8v to put out 10 watts. This is 13A from the chip, not 13A from the battery, something that Brandon tries to emphasize in the video. 10 watts is being pulled from the battery, converted, and 10 watts outputted to the coil.

I hope that helps.

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. -V-
    Cool

Thnaks
    So anyone who will use this will need to have coils made from non resistance nickel wire?
    Without it won't work?

12. ryanmacl

It'll work, you just won't be able to use the temperature cutoff feature.

13. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

It will work as normal, minus the temperature reading/cut off is what I gathered

14. ryanmacl

For reference:

Attached Files:

15. Submaniac
    Fiendish

Submaniac Ayatolah of Rock 'N Rolla

Funny you guys should mention this. I literally just got back from my local vape shop in Anaheim, and the vape flask was already for sale. I didn't know anything about it until I got back here and read this post. All I knew was that it had dual 18650 batteries, which I thought was a good idea. I didn't try it because I knew I was not going to spend $300 on a regulated mod. Had I known about it, I would have tried it to see how it worked. I did get a chance to try the vaporshark with the DNA 30 at the shop. This was my first return to regulated mods in a long time. (As many of you know, I am strictly mechanical at this time.) The battery was not fully charged so I couldn't go above 14 watts. It was nice little vape. I liked how it was not tubular shaped (like all of my mods) and it was a nice little sizze. The vapor flask was a little bit bigger, but also very compact considering it has dual 18650's.

I may just pick up one of these box mods, but not at this time. I am going to wait for the dust to settle. There has been so much MASSIVE innovation in the past 6 months that it is unreal how things are developing. All the DNA mods are a quantum leap from what we had last year, and I don't see an end to it any time soon. I know if I bought anything now, next month I would be outdated. And next month the better mod will be half the price.
    **Updated**
    this is a side by side of the Odysseus next to a Kayfun

[​IMG]

P.S. All this talk about "non-resistance" wire...I had to go dig up the ol' Golden Greek "Odysseus" tank. Remember that one? Used to be my favorite tank...until Kayfun reworked the basic design into something that was more effective. (The Oddyseus was the first commercially available tank that utilized a screw down chimney design, IIRC). For those that don't remember, the "Oddy" (AKA "Terminator") to make it work you had to attach non resistance wire to resistance wire. A royal PIA. When it worked, however, it was a damn fine vape (actually it still is a fine vape, but still a PIA to coil). Ahhh...the memories of spending countless hours trying to get it to work.

lordofthedread likes this.