1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

How many of you can....

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Mickdee.bkk, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Mickdee.bkk

Mickdee.bkk Thread Starter Active Member

When I first started vaping I had the kanger protank while I was back in the UK.

Availability of supplies in bkk at that time had me stock up on all the stuff I needed to rebuild my own coils. I bought a load of wick and coil... Happy days!

Once my factory coils ran out, I hit a problem. No matter how many YouTube videos I watched and how much I read I was not able to recreate the factory coils from my own rebuilds.

It went from flooded coils and juice in my mouth to airtight coils and at best, unreliable coils.

In the end, I just gave up and ended up going back to smoking again.

How many of you rebuild your own coils?

What is the quality of your rebuilds like compared to factory coils?

Do you have any tips and tricks to share for successful rebuilds?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yong and Konvict like this.
  2. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Depends on what you are rebuilding, tbh. I have been rebuilding RDA's and now sub ohm tanks for nearly 2 years.

You don't need to recreate the build that is already in a stock coil. You just need to get a build of the required resistance that works for you.

As for the actual build itself. Go slow. Be accurate. Check connections. Use appropriate wicking material, cotton for me, and ensure it is not too tight OR lose in the coil and juice channels. Check the build on an ohm meter before use to look for shorts and lose connections. If using kanthan consider a dry fire before wicking to check even heating and to identify hot spots or cool spots on the coil. Small tools and patience and it can be done relatively simply.

Other than that info on what gauge and wick you are using and what resistance you are looking for and what power you are vamping at would be helpful.

Neilly, -V-, Siam Diesel and 2 others like this.
  3. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

I tried making coils too but decided not to do it anymore...

I just don't have the time for it to get it right and hate it when I am out and about and suddenly the tank starts leaking and have to find tissue to clean my pants and my hands...it just isn't fit for my lifestyle...if I was at home most of the time I think it would be a complete different story and would consider it as a hobby!

Neilly and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

I rebuild on the majority of my attys but I do not rebuild on the factory/replaceable/disposable coils, only on included RBA sections and on RDAs.

Quality of builds on RBA sections are almost always better than factory coils as I build them to suit my preference and I can rebuild and re-wick with ease. However, factory coils can be a very nice convenience and time saver and some of them, like those for my Uwell Crown work extremely well and I have no issues continuing to use them instead of its RBA section and building my own.

No tips or tricks I can recommend for rebuilding factory coils. Maybe others do. Personally, if you are not already, I would recommend using RBA rebuilds (if the atty has that option, if not then upgrade to an atty that does) and not struggle with rebuilding factory coils.

v 4 vendetta, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

As I mentioned in your other thread, I went from the Protank 2 to the Nautilus and Nautilus Mini. That was a night and day difference and really helped me to enjoy Vaping. Within a couple weeks I wanted to see what else was out there. I picked up a Dripping atomizer and some wire and cotton balls. That was fun and different (It's a straight lung inhale with tons of flavor) and gave me something to do while I was at home but isn't practical if you're out and about at all. Plus being a smoker of 30 some years, I need my MTL (mouth to lung) type of draw for my main vape. Then I found the kayfun lite rebuildable tank. It again brought quite a bit more flavor and intensity than the Nautilus did and is still a MTL type of atomizer. Wrapping a coil and wicking it is easy. It takes a little work to learn but it really is simple on the kayfun. It has a learning curve to it but once you've got it down it's hard to give up. There are tons of videos on youtube to help as well and it gives us something to fiddle with. I keep trying to kind another atomizer that does better but I keep going back to the KFL. The closest I've found is the new Kayfun V4. I love it, it has the same great vape that I want but I still love the simplicity that the kayfun lite provides. I'd say get your Nautilus and get comfy with it. Then start experimenting from there. Start with one thing at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. See what you like and what you don't. But make sure you always have something you can count on to fall back on rather than running down to 7-11 for the pack of smokes. I still have my Nautilus just in case.

Siam Diesel, Konvict and Rick O-Shea like this.
  6. .patrick
    Angelic

.patrick Seasoned Vaper

Rebuildables all the way!
    You can obviously rebuild the RDAs or RTAs and the newer subohm tanks with bigger factory coils can be rebuilt.
    But smaller coils (like your protank coil) are wayyy more difficult, from my experiences.

Getting an RTA or RDA would be my recommendation, they're wayy more enjoyable imo

Mickdee.bkk likes this.
  7. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Almost all good tanks now have a RBA section available. This is definitely the way to go. But factory heads can be rebuilt and I have done it since the Protank days. It takes a lot more precision and silica was the only wicking material that was used in those days. Unless you are a glutton for punishment, get a tank with an RBA section and you are good to go.

8. Randis
    Sunshine

Randis Have wings, will fly!

i did rebuild some nautilus BVC and sub-tank coils, even made a Ni200 nautilus coil for TC just for fun.
    Not worth the time IMO, especially not for the nautilus BVC coils. You are much better off with an RTA (billow V2 for example) or a great RBA (Uwell Crown, TFV4) with RBA heads that have a nice base.

9. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

One thing to remember is that there are no great mouth to lung tanks that come with ability to takes prebuilt coils and a nice easy Single Coil RBA deck. I'm not putting down lung hitting tanks but that's a whole different experience. The Kayfun lite IMHO is still the tank to beat for a MTL style rebuildable.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  10. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, I'm just testing out the Triton...very nice MTL tank with the 1.8 ohm coils. Haven't had a chance to give the RBA deck a whirl yet. @Neilly has said it's not good for MTL and his & my vaping styles are very similar...but I'm still holding out hope I can somehow get it to perform!
    :vaping: :vaping:

Neilly likes this.
  11. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Let me put on the record that I really hope I'm wrong. I have been looking and looking for anything that can possibly take the place of the KF. The new V4 is really great but just when I have it all dialed in the Ohms go fiddly again because of the spring connection. The NextGen should have been the ticket but the darn mesh keeps shorting and the inability to dry fire to clean the mesh with Ti wire does it in. My current cart at FT has 5 more KFL bases, 20 bellcaps and chimneys. I'm getting ready for the Kaypocalypse. Fearing the day when all the good clones aren't restocked because they need the shelf space for the next cloudsbro clearo to hit the market.
    **Updated**
    This rebuildable triton head looks anything but simple though I'm sure easier than rebuilding the little nautilus heads.

tritonDeck.jpg

Neilly and Siam Diesel like this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Have you tried the KF4 spring update from Steam Tuners? I've heard it helps with this.
    Maybe @Scratchy can confirm.

The Rev likes this.
  13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

I'll let you know how it is after I give it a go...

The Rev likes this.
  14. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

It's been next on my list. To be honest it seems as though it's more of a patch but I'll buy one and see how it goes. If it solves it fairly long term I'll happily grab a few more of them and KFv4s.

*Edited as I just went and looked again now that I know what Im looking at*

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Siam Diesel likes this.
  15. tommyr23

tommyr23 Well-Known Member

@The Rev - I found stretching the spring out a little and tightly fixing the tank on the to mod helps with the ohm jumping. I also found that it jumps on some mods more than others - it's always stable when on my iStick 40W TC whereas jumps like crazy on an old Defender I have. Might purchase the Steam Tuners fix anyway......

Siam Diesel and The Rev like this.