1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Hello from "far away"

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vaping Newbies' started by Sue, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Sue
    Breezy

Sue Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hello dear fellow vapers, I'm from Switzerland and started vaping 9 years ago, and never touched a tobacco cig since then.
    I already read a lot here, especially because of the latest case that happened to a Swiss tourist last week.
    Do you already have a Thread for this case with discussions, so I could post some links from Swiss newspaper or ask some questions? Perhaps I just didn't find the Swiss Topic.
    What about the one where all Updates concerning legal/illegal vaping in public are posted? there is nothing about the latest case mentioned there

I will go on travelling to Thailand anyway, even without my vape stuff if necessary, after 9 years of vaping (still with high nic) I'm sure to be able to make a vape stop for 3 weeks.

but if there is still a possibility to get a small e-cig somewhere in phuket (Kata Beach) I'd appreciate an advice.
    Thx for reading and regards Sue

Dieter. and Nowhereman like this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Dieter., Konvict and Jazz2017 like this.
  3. Jazz2017

Jazz2017 Well-Known Member

The second link won't open SD. :)

Siam Diesel likes this.
  4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Cheers...should be fixed now.

Dieter., Konvict and Jazz2017 like this.
  5. Jazz2017

Now that's service :cheers2:

Dieter., Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Sue
    Breezy

Thx for the links, now I found the case.
    Swiss newspapers spread this bad news all over, but doesn't give any detailed information where it happened or how long he has to wait for trial. Such case has never been reported up to now only because of carrying an e-cig or vaping.
    He knew about the strict law, but obviously didn't know about the government handling these e-cig rules even more strict the past 2 months. How should we know that? We didn't read it anywhere.
    I bet there are so many thousand vaper around the world who are still poorly informed...
    If I get more details about this case from the Swiss fellow vapers I'll share it with you of course.

Dieter., Nowhereman, Konvict and 4 others like this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

They've been doing this for over a year...he just got caught up in it. From what I've seen on FB, they asked if he bought the mod here or brought it with him...he was truthful and said he brought it with him, so now he's being hit for "illegal importation" because there are no laws on the books regarding possession & use.

BTW, this is all thanks to the Thai Tobacco Monopoly. I'm sure he'll get hit with just a fine. Someday, someone in power will wake up to the fact that vaping saves lives and change the law. Until then, it pays to be very discreet when carrying your gear out in public.
    :vaping: :vaping:

Dieter., Nowhereman, Konvict and 2 others like this.
  8. Sue
    Breezy

Siam Diesel perhaps I didn't write clear enough, of course we all know and know for years about the Legal Status of import, use etc. in Thailand, but according to the Swiss newspaper lately Thai Government announced more strict rules with people selling, importing and/or using e-cigs
    "In recent months, however, Thailand has tightened the fight against e-cigarettes. According to the Bangkok Post, the Ministry of Health of Thailand announced two months ago that stricter rules for e-cigarettes would be introduced in mid-year."

translated from German Paper, I'm not allowed to post links yet.

We were not aware about this tightening. I keep on asking myself, how you all manage to vape there without getting in touch with such problems. Last time I was there (in February) I didn't find any e-cigs, neither on suggested places like nightmarkets or even in Jungceylon in Phuket. in the meantime I know I just have to ask and will be directed oder showed some pieces.
    I was aware, when arriving in Phuket and while heading airport exit warned by a huge blackboard, not to carry e-cigs and liquids with me, that there was also a risk getting stopped by customs for scanning my suitcases... so I really rushed, almost ran towards exit to the taxis... I assume, I had just luck, but my heart was bumping, what a stress. Don't need that anymore, so I won't be carrying vape gear with me next time...

Nowhereman and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yes, we saw that...but nothing has been announced (or introduced) thus far. They continue with their strict enforcement when they catch people with gear in their possession but until now, there are no new laws for possession & use of vape gear...only the 'illegal importation' BS that the Swiss tourist is being hit for. FWIW, that law is ~30 years old...they started using it against vapers last June.

The import/sale of vape gear has been banned since the end of 2014...again, they've stepped up enforcement (you would think they'd have more pressing things on which to spend law enforcement resources...but I guess not) by raiding & closing local sellers (who don't have the right 'friends'). Nonetheless, the Thai vape scene is flourishing, even in the face of this persecution. We only hope that the TTMonopoly is feeling the effects, and that someday soon, the laws will be changed! I'm sorry for the Swiss guy but anything that shines a spotlight on the crazy laws they have here for something that can actually save lives is ultimately, a good thing IMO. :)

Nowhereman, jpr, Rick O-Shea and 2 others like this.
  10. Konvict
    Relaxed

Konvict ProVari Moderator

So with other words, it is better to buy your gear here in Thailand because you didn't import it illegal!

Another thing I find strange is that tourists actually don't import anything, they use it for their pleasure in a country they visit and take it back home again. How can that be illegal import?

fillmcavity, Siam Diesel and Sue like this.
  11. Jazz2017

Its a total nonsense, its illegal because we didn't pay tax on it right? but if i travel on holiday with clothes, laptop, watch and vape gear all bought in the UK, then i have paid UK tax on all of that stuff, nothing I take into LOS has had Thai tax paid on it because it was bought in another country. this just shows in my mind at least, that its the tobacco mafia pulling the strings.

What should we do? turn up to the airport with nothing but a passport and a smile and buy everything in country?

I have said all this before i know, but its really pushing my rage button.

:angel and devil::don't!::don't!::don't!::don't!:

total joke.

Chili Pepper, Nowhereman, jpr and 3 others like this.
  12. shareby

shareby New Member

:cheers:

Sue likes this.
  13. Konfused

Konfused Member

How strictly enforced is this ban? I flew in for a short holiday and never thought to check for legalities of vaping. I saw the signboard in customs inbound but am worried about my outbound flight on Thursday?

jpr likes this.
  14. jpr
    Cloud_9

jpr Well-Known Member

I understand, Please send us a feedback.

15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Depends on who sees you vaping...be very discreet if you vape in public.
    **UPDATED** - Public Vaping Is NOT Legal (Fined for Possessing Vape Gear) | Thailand Vapers

Leaving is easy...the security scanners do not work for TH Customs. Just make sure that you observe the airline limits for liquids in your carry-on luggage, and pack any batteries (and mods with batteries) safely in your carry-on luggage and you should be fine. Let us know about your experiences if there are any issues.
    :vaping: :vaping:

Chili Pepper, Konfused and Konvict like this.