1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

HB50 repair job

Discussion in 'Vaping Technical Issues' started by -V-, May 15, 2015.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Just picked up the HB50 which was sent to me by pierdon from this GiveAway:
    GiveAway - Dropped HB50 for DIY vaper ! | Thailand Vapers

First thing I thought it could be the swtich, it wasn't
    I stripped it down a bit and started testing.
    Like a lot of the box mods from HCigar they do the neutral earthed to the box via a screw
    Which on this one is also linked to the USB charging port
    When I bypassed this with the positive to the battery and the negative to the battery via their own wires the chip booted up just fine

Sorry for the crap pictures but I was holding the battery positive wire and the phone camera at the same time.....

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Which to me means there is some problem with how it earths from the body and the USB
    I need more time to look into it all
    At worst I could get it to work fine but without the USB charger, which might be the problem anyway, but that would mean having to take out 2 screws each time to change the battery instead of charging via the usb

I'll take more of a look when I get more time, a little busy with work right now though...

2. -V-
    Cool

Not wanting to wait too long I had 5 mins spare
    This time I put a direct negative wire from the chip, whilst screwed in place, the screw on the board is what acts as the negative aka earth for how HCigar wired it up, then ran that to the other screw from the negative from the battery which goes to the USB port then screwed that down
    Now we have a direct wire in place from the battery negative to the chip negative
    And it worked just fine

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

As far as I can tell the USB port still works too as that is still wired up the same

So this means, I need to solder this extra direct negative wire to the 2 screws, then re solder up the switch and all should be fine
    An hour at the most taking my time and not rushing around, it's very tight in there..
    It's a shame I took the switch wires off in the first place but it was part of my testing...

When I get the time over the next few days I'll fire up the soldering iron...
    Happy days!!...

3. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Actually mine is giving problems also, I supect it is because of the earthing to the box.

I might give a try and rewire it following the instructions in your post, thanks for sharing @-V-

4. -V-
    Cool

Bound to be the same
    It's dead easy, 2 screws one on the chip and one from the negative from the battery, wrap wire around the 2 screws, tighten them back in and dob a blob of solder on each screw to keep it all tight and you're laughing...

lordofthedread likes this.
  5. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Just did it (did not solder yet tho....) seems to work better I will let you know over the course of the next few days.

6. -V-
    Cool

Ok, all done and working just fine

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

So once the HeatVape GiveAway is finished this will be going up for a GiveAway next.
    photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

A job well done, and thanks to the kindness of pierdon for Giving this away