1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

HB DNA 40 (Chip By EVOLV) sold out

Discussion in 'Big By-Pass's PVs, Mods, Devices and Kits' started by Big by-pass, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Big by-pass
    No Mood

Big by-pass Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hcigar HB 40 DNA 40w VW Temperature Control Box Mod
    original chip Evolv 40w
    Variable wattage 1.0W-40W with 0.1W increasement

Display the Ohm/Watts/battery status/Voltage output
    Modular to accommodate 18650 batteries
    Spring Loading
    Sizeļ¼š95.4*49.5*24mm

More info
    Comments
    Brand Hcigar
    Material Aluminum
    Product Type 40w Variable Wattage Temperature Control Box Mod
    Color Black and Silver
    CONNECTION THREADING 510
    VARIABLE VOLTAGE (VV) 1-9v
    VARIABLE WATTAGE (VW) 1-40w
    REQUIRED BATTERY 1
    BATTERY FORM FACTOR 18650
    Packing List 1 x Mod
    1 x USB cable
    Specifications
    Color Black Silver
    Length 13 CM
    Width 12 CM
    Height 4 CM
    Weight 141 g

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Price 3350THB.
    EMS 60THB.

haybilly and judas like this.
  2. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Good price for the original Evolv DNA 40 chip...

Big by-pass likes this.
  3. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

Might be cheaper than fixing my dead VS rDNA30.

4. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Just got mine today from Big. Considering it my "value edition" DNA40 mod. Still early in using it but can say that the only thing that sort of had me concerned, the button placement, actually works out pretty darn good. Button itself has a nice click action to it, easy to locate when in the hand and is comfortable to press. Notes on firing action:

Right-handed - front facing outward: I can easily fire it with my thumb after picking up and if I do a kind of quick shift in the hand putting it a little further back in the palm, my index finger wraps around and can press the button.

Right-handed - facing inwards toward the palm: I can activate the button with top corner of the palm ridge just below the index finger. Sometimes I have to shift the mod just a little in the hand to have it in the right spot to do it but not always.

Left handed (Lefty is not as easy for me but not bad) - facing in toward the palm: You have to either bend the index finger a little or lay the index finger across and press with the middle of the finger.

Left-handed - front facing out: I can very easily press it with the side of my thumb.​

Fit is very good with no shifting at all with the battery back-plate section on my copy. Also the seams there are extremely narrow and not very easy to see - impressive actually. The edges are chamfered but I do wish they were rounded out just a little bit more. It's by no means uncomfortable to me and part of my sensitivity to it is because I have been using the iStick 50W, IPV2 Mini and VaporFlask a lot and those are super-comfortable to hold. It's less "edgy" than say the Sigelei 100W (V1? - No engraved curves on plate).

Finish is mostly very good except in a few small areas where there is a bit of streaking and wear in the paint. Hardly noticeable at all especially since mine's silver in color. You have to very closely examine to find the few small flaws. Front face with LCD is absolutely immaculate.

Big is carrying the latest updated version so the screen is no longer smoked colored and for that reason the readout is quite good. Inside is very cleanly laid out. I read the new version also has a change and tightening up of some connections with the 510 wiring and grounding. Some early version copies were reported to have some issues and from latest feedback seems to be all taken care of now.

For those familiar with the cana mod, its about 2mm less deep front face to back plate, approx 3mm wider across and about 5 or 6mm taller. Height looks to be the very same as the IPV2 Mini.

Oh and it's a newer revision DNA40 that has Celsius display support. In all other respects, so far, it behaves just like my other 2 DNA40 devices. Even checked temp behavior using same Ni200 atty across all three mods and they work the same. Set it to too low a temp and the temp protect message came up in the same manner with all of them.

Especially because of the price compared to other DNA40 mods, this is a good buy, IMO.

**Couple additional notes:

510 pin is spring-loaded, 510 plate is biased toward front face (doesn't bother me), Subtank Mini sits absolutely flush.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  5. haybilly
    Paranoid

Very tempting.
    Must resist.
    It's new and shiny, though - could be very difficult, great price.

Big by-pass and Scratchy like this.
  6. haybilly
    Paranoid

Just to be pedantic -those measurements in the specifications don't seem correct - height, Width, Length? ?
    In fact-just noticed that further up the description are another set of dimensions that seem much more accurate-U presume the ones at the bottom are a mistake.
    Anyway, in view of PayPal recent rules change, this could be my best option to get a TC control mod-buy local.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  7. Scratchy
    Lurking

Yeah, the bottom specification numbers are definitely wrong. Top are correct.

Big by-pass and haybilly like this.
  8. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

Looks a lot like pocket transistor radios I used to have in my teens.

Scratchy and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. haybilly
    Paranoid

One final question @Scratchy,
    How are you finding the battery consumption? I do realise that this is going to be subjective but, just based on your usage profile what are you getting? I know that is like Apples and Pears but, if I'm considering replacing my VS rDNA30-I have 2 contenders, this from HCigar or the (to me)tried and tested IPV mini 70 watt which is about 1000 baht cheaper but no possibility to try out TC-both use a single 18650 battery-and I am very impressed by consumption rates from the IPV mini.

10. Scratchy
    Lurking

Seems no worse than the rDNA30 or IPV2 Mini 70W with battery use. It's holding up just as well as can be expected.

BTW, the DNA40 is quite efficient with power usage. Even at the same voltage settings it doesn't require battery swap or charging as soon as the new Yihi temp chip does.

I think the IPV2 Mini 70W is an excellent mod but of course no temp control as you noted. These are very different form factors and of course capabilities either in temp control or max wattage output.

If you want to try out temp control the HB DNA40 is a good buy as you can get it locally fast and at a lower price than other temp protect/control mods in the market. Some of those others like the rDNA40 and Vaporflask are at another level in construction quality and comfort (comfort level difference pretty noticeable to me) but you pay for it. The chip inside though is still a DNA40 so they all perform basically the exact same.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015