1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Half-built my first RDA!

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by David in Bangkok, Jan 9, 2015.

1. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Big thanks to this forum otherwise I wouldn't have built ANYTHING.

Basically, I wanted to try different flavors, so a vendor was selling a Veritas for 250B and I thought I was buying it with a coil. When I realized it didn't come with one I freaked out a bit, but the smart vets on the forum pushed me to build it myself.

The space is really small and I got some coil thanks to Rick (who is selling more in the classifieds section if anyone needs a good source :)). I tried to coil it myself, but I was making these really ridiculous coils that would never fit in the small space it needs to. Rick was smart and pre-made some coils for me, if not for those I'm not sure if I could have done this yet, although I obviously need to practice getting my coils smaller and just learning how to make a respectable one.

Either way, with Rick's coil any idiot could have attached it themselves, and luckily I wasn't too big of an idiot to do that myself :lost it:

Even though the coil may have been compressed in delivery, and I may have made it even worse while installing it, it is still chucking vapor, it tastes great, and I am LOVING it. I don't know how I'm going to switch back to those clearomizers when I have to be out and about :(

I do have one question about my wick:
    I only put a small amount of cotton through the coils, I believe other people just fill in the rest of the space with cotton? Is that how you guys wick?

I was ok with a small amount because I kept switching flavors (even though the flavors were strong and I'm not sure how to clean off the flavor from the coils) but I would like to get more juice at a time in there, I just am not sure the best way to set up the wick so it all flows to the coil, but even with the small amount of cotton it still lasts a decent amount of time. The flavor is just amazing!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me, I really could have never gotten this far without you guys, I really appreciate it!!

2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

The Veritas is a PiTA to wick in vertical. Did you go with horizontal coil placement?

3. flem
    Relaxed

flem Vaping for 5 years

David. In many drippers like the veritas I just fill up the juice well with cotton then it will last you a longer time when all sooked up. You can put liquid into this dripper tru the drip tip hole or tru the big airhole in the back, you don't need to take off the topcap.
    If you have prob with fastening the wire under th positive nut just give the wire an extra twist around the post and it is easier to get it to stay there.

for out and about, I will suggest an Orchid or something in that style, because when you first try a dripper you will never again be satisfied with the prebuilt clearoes and the likes.

4. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

YouTube is your friend on this one. Have a look for tutorials on the Veritas rebvuilds and all will become clear regarding wicking etc. as well. Much easier to see what you want as opposed to interpreting the written word in this case.

David in Bangkok and Rick O-Shea like this.
  5. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

Truh truh that, however the Veritas is a dripper i take out all the time because of it's construction with the placement of the air hole it is not leaking juice out of the air hole like other RDA's do.

David in Bangkok likes this.
  6. flem
    Relaxed

flem Vaping for 5 years

David in Bangkok and Rick O-Shea like this.
  7. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

David in Bangkok likes this.
  8. David in Bangkok

I did the horizontal build, mine looks almost exactly like that (I think I need to tighten the wire on one of the leads).

I think I understand, you just fill up the well with juice. I saw someone had stuffed more cotton in there, but that just didn't look ideal. I guess it's supposed to not leak but I didn't really "fill up" the well as I was afraid of leaking juice, I guess I can add a lot there.

I tried vertical at first, but it was just really difficult to fit in there.

That pack of coils looks amazing now, but I think I'm going to have to make myself learn, I already have 10m of cable to learn on :very good:

I was thinking about an RTA, but isn't that more complicated? Seeing as the RDA wasn't exactly a piece of cake, I was sort of just thinking of a new RDA that is more user friendly, but the truth is a good RTA is probably a good idea as well, fi I can just spread out the purchases a little bit :lost it:
    **Updated**
    Unless you put too much juice like I just did while trying to fill up the juice well, I guess that's a tricky amount that I haven't gotten close to getting down yet. But I'm sure I'll get there. I can see why you would take it out (although not quite sure that I would want to yet because I'm not very comfortable with it yet) but it seems to hold a good amount of juice and has good protections against leakage. I guess it could be one you take out and fill up, I just have been too scared as of yet to drip through the top or the air hole, I just want to be able to see how much juice I'm putting in there. Even while watching with the cap off I still can't prevent from overfilling :completely forgotten:

9. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

Just rebuild the Veritas with 27 AWG single coil 1.25 Ohm 9 wraps. For the cotton, it should be tight trough the coil and spread out into the juice wheel so the juice can efficiently wick to the coil.

Whatch out that the wire coming from the positive post is not touching anything else, i know could trap the wire the other way around but it was the best to keep the coil tight together.
    The juice can be dripped down the two sides therefore i leave some space and don't fill the juice wheel with to much cotton.
    20150109_144927.jpg 20150109_145206.jpg 20150109_145507.jpg

Steve.H and Rick O-Shea like this.
  10. David in Bangkok

My coil isn't in nearly as tight/well but it's working fine so I think I'm going to leave it until I feel the need (or maybe have another rebuildable) before fixing it/putting on a new coil.

I have been doing the wick the way you are and it's working pretty well. I tried to put a little more cotton and I think it worked better with less like you have it there.
    Sometimes while putting in the cotton, trying to pull it through messed up the coil and the placing of everything (partly because it's not in there tight enough). I dont know if that will be better once the coil is in there tighter or if I need to be careful to use a cotton piece that isn't as thick.

Either way, as ugly as I did it, it's great for me. It might be because I'm used to vaping out of something 5 years old or clearomizers that are not really ideal for taste, but this thing is just so pleasant to vape out of and the flavor is so much better than everything else I have, I don't know how I will go back!

Thanks again for those picture, I hope my next attempt comes out about half as good as that!