1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

General Ejuice DIY Discussion

Discussion in 'Thailand DIY Juice Making' started by SpeedBug, Feb 2, 2018.

1. SpeedBug
    Cheerful

SpeedBug Thread Starter Active Member

How many of you mix their own e-juice?

I am only now getting into it testing the FA & Cap flavorings I have, each in 5ml mixed spurts and making my own comments on them. Do you experienced guys feel it is necessary or do you take an existing recipe and adjust it to your own liking and take it from there?

And another poll: What category of recipe do you guys generally like? (even if you are not a DIY mixer)

I thoroughly enjoy a tobacco, dark berry, cola, rum/whiskey/brandy sort of stuff always mixing in some custard or other bakery to give it some fullness. My ultimate goal is make an Irish coffee I used to dip my finger into once my parents finished them - oh 35 odd years ago. You know, a metered glass of Irish Coffee with so much brown sugar, so much percolated coffee, so much whiskey, so much cream, etc. Ever since I took my first vape ever, I knew that this recipe will be my all-time favorite flavor, once I get a chance to play around to mix it.

Not a huge fan of fruity, sweet/candy, only bakery, yoghurt flavors. Not tried milk flavors yet, not sure I will like them either. But I am willing to play around with fruit flavors together with cheesecake, tobacco, nuts, etc. and see what happens. Typing this it appears that I should have been an ex-pipe smoker as that sort of pipe tobacco always came in various variants.. now I can do this with vaping not ever having smoked a pipe! (my dad did decades ago.. always liked the smell)

Getting quite excited about this DIY mixing...

2. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

The beauty about DIY is sky is the limit. So far I never used a recipe and my favourite flavour is Maxxblend from Flavour Art. Mix it as base flavour with Maple syrup, vanilla, almond and a darker tabacco flavor. This comes very close to your description of a pipe :) Creamy nuts was a flavor I mixed as well. I like nuty flavours like toasted almond, hazelnut ECT. and with a while cream and vanilla a nice Vape all together. A tip perhaps is mix only small quantitys untill you got something you like but also consider flavours just mixed will change over time. This is called stepping so some flavours are really srong when just mixed and getting smother over time.
    Also consider the recommendation of the flavour % for each brand but it will take some trying to find your liking for each flavour brand and flavour itself. You can always add some more flavour after you mixed a juice but can't take away. Just like food. To much spice is hard to correct but to add more for the tast later is easy.
    Happy mixing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bantorvaper, SpeedBug and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

@SpeedBug

Irish Coffee?? here's a recipe
    Check cookies

or take your pick here..
    Check cookies

I've been mixing for a few years now,
    I find using Digital Scales, to measure by weight is far far easier, and less messy...

Here is a tutorial...

Siam Diesel likes this.
  4. SpeedBug
    Cheerful

Yeah, those are great resources.

I have gathered a few recipes and mixed some, none have hit the spot and thus sculpting my own David from skeleton out, it’s slow sometimes frustrating but very rewarding. That’s the joy of DIY mixing.

Yip, scales certainly are clean, gosh do I hate a mess with syringes, small quantities still lingering in erlenmeyer flasks, cleaning all, scales have tipped it to the better. Excuse the pun.

Have received a lot of help from certain people in this forum how to properly handle mixing.

5. Fastoche

Fastoche Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Mixing my own juices. Din't use specific recipe. Tried quickly a few flavours and mixing until I found 4 juices I liked.
    2 home made recipe :
    One using Maxx blend from Fa with a bit of caramel (FA or capella) and a bit of RY4 from FA.
    The other one using RY4 (FA) a bit of custard (FA) and a few drops of fresh cream (FA).
    Also make a vanilla custard's juice directly for CAP flavour, and a Catalan cream's juice directly from FA flavour.
    Perfectly happy with this 4 different easily home made juices.
    Sometimes I also make a small bottle of caramel, custard or vanilla.
    Vape on.

SpeedBug likes this.
  6. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

That's a nice mix i have Vaped as well. Right up my alley.
    Digital scales are certainly a good option when mixing smaller quantities or mixing only flavors together.
    If mixing larger quantities a plastic cylinder or a pitcher with measurement increments comes in handy too.

Fastoche likes this.
  7. SpeedBug
    Cheerful

Thanks for all replies, does relieve the "fear of mixing" which I seem to suffer from... mixed in with a bit of information overload caused by the immense amount of data/recipes available online, also known as infobesity or infoxication:
    :unbelievable:

But played around with eJuice me Up and eventually created a mirror on Excel for custom nicotine base which I already had, to mix with a clean base with new ingredients which makes it now so easy it is a joke. Also am now able to just shortcut flavor gravities. I will attach the simple form for info to others (without the added nicotine base/shot, which is unnecessary for most). eJuice me Up is sufficient for most people, but this saves the hassle of inputting gravities of flavors and you can create new ones quickly.

Another point I want to touch on - Speed steeping.
    Spent the weekend researching traditional steeping vs. ultrasonic steeping. The info online summarized as follows:-

• Opinions range 80 - 95% accuracy on taste depending on type of mix can be achieved (fruit shorter steep compared to bakeries & tobaccos, all as per traditional steeping). Can use both methods concurrently.
    • Need at least 15-30min timer. The small 8min machines won't make it.
    • Natural ultrasonic action creates heat, don't allow to go over 40 - 45degC MAX. At 50degC degrades mix! Thailand conditions certainly won't require a heating model.
    • Strong initial perfume/chemical smell: Steep open cap for 15min. Let cool down. Shake.
    • Close cap steep 30min with 15min break - for machine & ejuice heat dissipation. Shake. Open Cap, Leave for the 15min. Close Cap.
    • Each 2 hr = 1 - 2 weeks. Go max 4 hrs, 2 hrs each successive day. Steep naturally further if flavor not to your needs yet.
    • Check temp of water with capable machine or LCD meat temp needle.
    Has anyone tried this steeping method? I am sure traditional steeping will trump this, but I would welcome your opinions for those who are doing this or have tried it. I am rather impatient as you guys might have gathered and want to decrease time without compromising flavor more than 10%.

Busy building a magnetic stirrer as per youtube instructables with a computer fan, potentiometer and hard drive magnet. Geeze those tiny magnets are strong!! Goes right through my hand to pick up objects. Nice magic trick for my toddler.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Bantorvaper likes this.
  8. Fastoche

Fastoche Well-Known Member

Hi,
    About steeping.
    The times depends on the flavour type and manufacturer. Tobacco and dessert are supposed to take about 2 to 4 weeks. RY4 and Maxx blend from FA should take 4 weeks, catalan cream from FA 2 weeks Vanilla custard from capella more than a month. Vanilla bourbon from FA a few days.
    As the weather is warmer in Thailand the steeping time is actually a bit faster/shorter.

I use the calculator from a French online ecig saler to know the stepping time of each specific manufacturer/flavour.
    Here is the link :
    Comment fabriquer son e-liquide, fabriquer son liquide pour cigarette électronique - le petit vapoteur
    Vocabulary : marque=brand/
    produit=product->understand flavour.
    To make steeping faster at the beginning I was used to put my bottles in a metallic boxes and leave them on a ups for a few days.
    Now I don't bother, just prepare a few 100ml bottles in advance. I shake them quickly every day or every few days (when I think about it) and let them steep for 2/3/4 or five weeks. Easier like this.
    Mixing.
    For making my base I use a graduated cooking bawl to mix PG and vg in 500ml+ bottles and a syringe for nic. I make 5mg juices as it is what I like and easier to calculate than 3 or 6mg. I really don't bother so much about precision, my base is about 65% vg 35% Pg and nic about 5mg. Don't really care if there is more or less of pg/vg as long as it is close to this proportion (somewhere between 60/40-70/30) and 4.7mg or 5.3 mg.
    I can't tell the difference anyway. Easy, fast and good.
    To mix my base with flavours, I use syringe, I find it easy and fast. I usually put 10 to 15% of flavour depending on my recipes.
    I make 100ml bottles of my favourite and 30ml bottles for the one I like from time to time.
    I buy 100ml bottles of the flavours I like the most (Maxx blend, RY4, vanilla-custard, catalan cream) and 30ml bottles for the flavours I use in small quantities in recipes (custard, caramel, fresh cream) or in small bottles.
    I used some app at the beginning for proportion of pg/vg/nic/flavours. Now I don't bother just use the calculator of my phone from time to time but mostly just follow my recipes written on a notebook.
    I guess, I just want it to be "fast and easy made".

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  9. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

Again I read Maxxblend and RY4 as one of the favourite flavours along with caramel and vanilla. Totally my alley as well.

I agree also on the accuracy of quantities when mixing is not that important for me neither. Most of the time I mix and Vape right after but have to obmit the flavor or juice gets better after a couple days. Really interesting actually if you vape the juice and notice a difference every other day :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Fastoche and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. railroad

railroad New Member

if you have time diy is the way to go and much more healthy.
    just dont buy Street stuff

jpr likes this.
  11. SpeedBug
    Cheerful

Still mixing, and winning. The win has come more from turning to temperature control. Just plain s/s has turned to my occasional smoke to a permanent vape. Kanthal honestly “sucks” strange compared to what I expected from Vaping!? S/s turns taste and vape to a new dimension, finally I believe Vaping has no match to addictive smoking. May she Die In Pieces... one butt at a time. Vape On, catch you guys on the other side.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Ben2vape likes this.
  12. fillmcavity
    Angelic

fillmcavity Serial Vapist

I got a bottle of Trinity from Serenity some time ago. I'm not a fan of tobacco flavored juices at all and I don't know why I even bought this. I tried it once and set it away. Then the other day I thought I would give it one more chance. Still not my cup of tea. Then I added 1 mg of menthol crystals to the remaining 95 ml of juice and left it to dissolve for a few days and tried it again. It was totally amazing and I couldn't stop vaping it. I finished it now and I'm contemplating getting another 100 ml again soon. Highly recommended if you like menthol and I'm sure Serenity will add it for you if you ask him nicely.

13. SpeedBug
    Cheerful

Wow, really like this. A small change can make a great difference. Moral: don’t give up on a bad juice in a cupboard. I hated Coke Lime from Juiceman, mixed it with any dessert that has custard or doughnut, my wife stopped smoking before I did, coz she is hooked to that flavour.

Great post Filmcavity!

fillmcavity likes this.
  14. valera80

valera80 New Member

Street stuff is danger?

jpr likes this.