1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

expired e-juice

Discussion in 'General Thailand E-Liquid Discussion' started by romkristoff, Jun 13, 2016.

1. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Agreed. I've had old juice that's turned dark and thick, I toss it. Same if it tastes off, in the bin it goes.
    I've also used Halo juice that was over a year past it's labeled "best by" date that tasted just fine.

oil and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

PG is not a preservative but it has preservative properties for most chemicals used in e-liquids.

VG is assumed to have a shelve life of 1 years. In a mix with PG that extends up to 2 years. VG oxidises, if it turns yellow throw it away.

Some dairy, bakery or tobacco ingredients may break down. Many of you like high VG but from a practical point it is actually better to have at least 20 % PG in in an e-liquid. For those of you who make their own liquid, have 100 % PG as the Nic carrier.

How long the e-liquid actually lasts depends as well on the conditions under which it is produced, and how it is stored. Once the bottle was opened it should be used withing 3 months. For closed containers in glass bottles it should be 2 years, if it was produced under hygienic conditions for example the bottles were sterilised, and if it is stored cool and dark. For the same reasons self made e-liquid should be used sooner.

BTW. Honey has a long shelf life because the contained 70% invert sugar is bad for teeth but it's a very good preservative.

Siam Diesel and AI-NAAM like this.
  3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

This is very difficult when you're working with several 100 ml bottles. I keep them in the fridge before/after opening. And I've used juice up to 2 years after receipt without any problems...and some of those have only been stored in the closet. YMMV
    :vaping: :vaping:

Konvict and kevin bangkok like this.
  4. peter-k
    Fine

The thing is this stuff does not turn rancid or mouldy as normal foodstuff does.

5. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

Would you happen to know the impact to the body after consuming juice which gone bad? Is it similar to a food poisoning?

Just send it

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

It's my opinion (only) that if it tastes good, it's still good. If it tastes bad, it gets binned.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

Konvict and kevin bangkok like this.
  7. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

We don't even know the impact to the body of good juice at this point. Research is so far behind and vaping is too new to make a long term prognosis. While all current studies are looking good, we may be in for a surprise later. With all the variables in juice contents and the chemical changes it goes thorough over time, I don't think we have an answer. With that being said, if it smells OK and tastes OK, I vape it. If not, in the bin it goes.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  8. peter-k
    Fine

In many cases nothing happens after 2 years. 2 years is an flavouring industry wide "safe" assumption. But. Would you take a 2 panadol which are 6 months expired?

There are chemicals inside which can break down to other chemicals, or re-act with oxygen or other chemicals to form new chemicals, which we can not control. Like a medicine where the usage date has expired.

9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yes...FWIW, panadol (Tylenol) has a 5-year shelf life.

Konvict likes this.
  10. peter-k
    Fine

It was a bad example in the way that it is a dry substance, and dry substances usually have long shelve life.

Many like high VG e-liquids, and VG likes water, it is very hygroscopic. Water is a very good medium for chemical reaction.

11. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

The way I look at this problem is this.

We know the shelf life for PG, VG, flo outings and nicotine, and if we work off the shortest shelf life, apparently VG, then theoretically we have a juice shelf life of 1 year. Problem is this. We do NOT know the age of the ingredients used at the time of mixing OR how they react when mixed. We do not actually KNOW if PG will help prolong juice life in this context. The other thing we just don't know is are harmful chemicals produced after "x" amount of time with the particular ingredients used in each individual juice.

What this means to me is that I am vaping something that could potentially be dangerous, because we don't know everything yet and won't until research on 20 year vapers can be carried out, BUT for all the research done appears to be much safer than cigarettes.

So with old juice I say it has to be up to the individual to look at the known and decide about the unknown for themselves. There is no definitive answer at this time.

Tastes, smells, looks good, so it's good to go is about all we can cover imho

Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

+1. We are taking unknown risks. Things certainly appear safer than smoking and I believe that to be so. However, if 10-20 years down the road we get some really bad news, I am an adult and made my own decisions. We are in unknown territory and everyone has to make their own decisions.

debatedude and Longtail1 like this.
  13. peter-k
    Fine

As for myself, I mix my own e-liquid and produce what I can use within the next 10 - 14 days. As for the raw materials I only stock what I can use up within 3 months or so. The exception is nic solution, that one I have to stock a some more.
    I did buy ready e-liquid in the past but I am not convinced that everyone in that business segment is really aware about what they handle there.

14. Ricker101

Ricker101 New Member

I had a bottle of juice that tasted horrible for the first month so I put it away and 1 year later when I ran out if juice I gave it a shot and it for some reason tasted amazing. No problem whatsoever.

15. rojan

rojan Member

may be not a good idea to do that