1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Do you bother to boil your cotton before using it?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks For Vaping' started by haybilly, Dec 3, 2014.

1. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Thread Starter Well-Known Member

OK, I haven't managed to source any Organic cotton balls yet and was advised that, if using ordinary Pharmacy bought Beauty product style Cotton Balls, then in order to remove toxins it was a good idea to boil and rinse the cotton prior to using it to build a wick.
    I was wondering how many other users, with Standard cotton or even Organic cotton balls, are actually bothering to do this?
    I have done it, it took a few days for the cotton 'mush' to dry out completely and afterwards the cotton is much less 'fluffy'-I find that I need to spend time getting it to a fluffy texture.
    Any ideas?
    Any sources of Organic cotton?

2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

No, I use Japanese cotton and Rayon but when they run out I will happily return to using Watson's cotton pads. 80B for a decent sized box that, without experimentation would probably last 5 years.

3. haybilly
    Paranoid

I think mine was from Watsons- and this is what I boiled.
    My daughter was pretty disgusted by the whole process, or rather highly amused.

4. haybilly
    Paranoid

After the boiling those cute little balls have all but disappeared, though, and a fair amount of time gets wasted in pulling then back into any sort of shape again.

5. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

This could get heated later in the thread but here goes. :rolling laugh:

This is a personal thing. Some say that there is still chemical residue from the bleaching process left in the cotton and some don't. Some say that it also tastes better if boiled as well. My taste buds aren't that good. I personally have NEVER boiled my cotton and I doubt that I ever will. I didn't worry about all the chemicals going in to my body with a smoke and the cotton wouldn't even be close to that if there are chemical residues left in there.

Easily available Organic cotton is available at Watsons pharmacy in pads as Watsons own brand. I found it easy to use and holds more cotton than bog standard cotton from say 7/11.

6. haybilly
    Paranoid

Oh, Watson's themselves sell an Organic Cotton Ball- I couldn't find that, I will ask the Sales staff. This could be something that individual branches keep our do not keep, I guess.
    Worth a go, though.
    I must admit, I would feel much less inclined to bother if the Cotton was already organic, than bog standard.

7. haybilly
    Paranoid

Thanks to both guys for the answers.

8. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

They sell a box of organic pads, the box is white and brown and costs 80B

haybilly likes this.
  9. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

I buy surgical cotton - 6 baht for 10 cotton balls. I figure if it is clean and sterile enough to be used inside your body, it's good enough for vaping.

10. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Well it is not heated in your body or is it?
    Steril means that they are actually sterilized with some kind of chemical, alcohol at the very least.

I stick with my organic ones from Watson's personally, quite happy with it.

11. jon
    Mellow

jon Well-Known Member

Did it the first time I bought cotton at 7/11, a mess. Then I bought it at the Pharmacy and did not bother. Have changed to rayon now.

12. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

Still using cheep cotton, cant remember where I bought it from or maybe it was the wife's. Never boiled it.

13. zougou

zougou Well-Known Member

I don't know if they're "organic", but Watsons does sell an unbleached cotton, their own brand, in pad form. It's not a big seller and I had to ask to the sales staff to pull them out of the back room, at least here in Chiang Mai. That's what I use, and no I've never boiled them. 80 Baht for a box that will last a loong time, Easy to cut into neat wicks.

Venomx likes this.
  14. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

I would much rather not have any organic cotton, particularly if it's unbleached. Particularly in Thailand. You have no idea what kind of crap they put in there, there could be spores or bacteria or God knows what else. I'd way rather have any of that crap processed out, i.e. Rayon. Boiling with tap water increases potential contamination, which is even worse if you have it drying for days. Even if you're boiling with distilled water, who knows if that will take out whatever you're trying to remove.

In all honesty, I'll use whatever works the best. For me, rayon. Like everybody says, I never boiled my cigarettes, why would I boil my cotton.

15. haybilly
    Paranoid

I actually used bottled water to boil and rinsed with distilled water.
    I honestly can't see why people are equating the vaping procedure to smoking cigarettes, my health issues was why I quit cigarettes.
    I will have to Google Rayon wicks, since I'm not familiar with this at all.