1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

DNA 40 Temp settings and Watt settings

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by -V-, Dec 12, 2014.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

You don't have to use nickel with the DNA 40 chip

Sent from my ZNA 40

2. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

No but you do with the temp control of the coil. Or is that built in to the mod not the chip? As I say. Not familiar with this tech, but I was meaning the coil temp control is very new and needs tweaking imo. Very good idea I have to say though and if I can use more variety in gauge, and preferably types of wire but not essential, I may well have to get one.

3. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

There's a decent range of ni200 wire gauge but I only have 32ga presently and because of ni200 softness I am doing twisted wire coils. Easy enough so no problem.

One of limitations with the the thicker gauges is that you need to do more wraps with some builds in order to have the a good resistance level (approx .11 to .20 or so) and that can present challenges with fitting a coil as they tend to become lengthy. Would also like to see some alternatives with wire choice.

Anyway, temp control works great and as advertised. Besides some of these coil build considerations and some extra time in setting the coils up and wicking, I'm really happy with my DNA 40 devices. Use both ni200 RDA with great vapor and flavor and also with ni200 RTAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longtail1 likes this.
  4. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

You're dead on. It's really hard to even make a simple dual coil with nickel right now, since the ohms drop so low. You can use a thinner wire for higher resistance, but nickel is so soft they become a major pain to rewick. Regardless of how much of a pain it is, its totally worth it once it's set up. Wicks last much longer, juice never burns, no heat-up time.

Once the YiHi SX350 v250 comes out, you should probably take a look at that (presuming it actually works, who knows with China). We should be able to make some decent coils with that, since its able to handle so much more power (meaning we should be able to go lower with the resistance). I desperately want a nickel fused Clapton.

The other problem seems to be resistance in the atomizers themselves. Hopefully we'll get some manufacturers focusing on that, just like they did with all the "hard-hitting" mech mods.

Tibo and Longtail1 like this.
  5. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Noob question, what happen if you put a nickel build on a mech mod ? Does it performs as well as kanthal build (if build same ohms)?

Sent from the future

6. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

I would advise against trying it, nickel uses super low ohms and you would vent your battery by doing this on a mech mod.....

Tibo likes this.
  7. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

What if you build a 0.2ohms ? It's fine with Kanthal, does Nickel would react differently ?

Sent from the future

8. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

May be interesting to try, 10 wraps or 31g gives 0.18ohm, could work on a dna 40 and a mec, not for the faint hearted though and not without a good battery on the mec.

quick calc at 4v you get 89watts, so power drain of over 22amps, need a good battery but I cant see why it would not work.

If Ive got this wrong please jump in quick, 2 beers down so not 100%.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Tibo likes this.
  9. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

What temperatures can NI200 withstand?

Mack likes this.
  10. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

VTC are rated down to 0.14 with the 30A continuous draw. So 0.18 should be fine as it is within the specs of the battery. But that is a personal choice when you go that low. I have experimented down to 0.1 on a mech but I don't like to push batteries past their amp rating so quit doing that pretty fast. lol

Hadn't thought about the temperatures involved for teh nickel melting though. No idea there

11. Mack
    Relaxed

Mack Well-Known Member

Very good point