1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

DIY Coils: Tips, Tricks, and Whatnot

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by debatedude, May 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Thread Starter Mech Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah, one more thing: lower gauge wire needs more airflow. I can recommend the Cartel Obelisk (fully adjustable bottom and side airflow), the VGod Pro RDA (nonadjustable bottom airflow), and the Cosmonaut RDA (adjustable side airflow, and completely well-less! It's effing wild!)

SooKee likes this.
  2. debatedude
    No Mood

IF you get a mod with a pre-heat mode, set the pre-heat for a one second burst of 105 watts and then drop it to 65 watts for the rest of the burn. OR if you have a mod with a fully programmable pro setting (tenths of a second bursts), set it at 105, 85, 65, 65, 50, 50, 45. I think you'll enjoy that

SooKee likes this.
  3. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

Cheers!! To be honest I was trying to find some thicker wire than 24 but couldn't see any at the paces I normally order. Not sure if FT have it but I have 4 orders that I'm waiting for from FT so won't be ordering anything more from them at all until other orders arrive. I'll have a look around.

Currently using the DJV RDA and a DigiFlavour Drop, also have a Peerless SE on order. I'll order yet another if I find the airflow isn't enough.

Maybe time to treat myself to a Smoant Cylon, has a pre-heat mode with adjustable curves (if that'll do the trick). I'll read up more on that and other options before I buy. I like the Cylon though :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    debatedude likes this.
  4. debatedude
    No Mood

http://www.vape-atomizer-mesh.com/

A few of us did a combo order with them some years ago. It's good wire. Worth checking out!

Siam Diesel and SooKee like this.
  5. debatedude
    No Mood

BOXER RADER V2.0 - HUGO VAPOR USD $50 and has a limited programmable pre-heat and a pro-curve It's good (I have one)
    Buy VGOD PRO 150 Online - Official VGOD Big league here. Well worth the money. Lightweight too!
    VGOD ELITE 200 Steel - The Elite Vape Box for You if you have more dollars than sense/cents. Big, heavy, programmable, and can fire anything!

6. SooKee
    Lurking

Cheers. I'll look at those. Only thing is I'd prefer to order from a Thai supplier such as DNA given the current climate here. Not too bothered about having a bunch of wire or cotton impounded by Customs, less inclined to risk it with a $50-100 mod. That's why I'm leaning towards the Cylon or maybe a H-Cigar.

Siam Diesel and debatedude like this.
  7. SooKee
    Lurking

Well, the Cylon arrived and I've been trying out VW curves on it. Just so I'm sure I'm getting the best out of it. As an example, if I have a build that vapes best at say 40W, using heavier alien coils, obviously those take some time to ramp up so I guess for the first one or two of the 7-8 columns it'd be better to hit it with say 60, then 55, then go 40, 40, 40, for the next few. Best to keep it then firing at 40 or drop it off a bit do you think? I've seen some folks say they ramp it up again at the end, but I'd have thought a tail off better?

Siam Diesel likes this.
  8. debatedude
    No Mood

It all depends on your personal preference. Personally, I like lightening fast ramp ups and a hot vape. You like cooler vapes. We would be radically different if we used the same atty and coils. You gotta find what works for you.

You might try a "U" shape - high ramp up, cooler in the middle to bring the coil down, and then a gentle increase at the end

Siam Diesel likes this.
  9. SooKee
    Lurking

Cheers. Yeah, a lot cooler than you for sure LOL but then I use the vape as a substitute for shisha which is never hot of course. Just trying to make sure I'd got the basic fundamentals right. I did read somewhere about ramping it RIGHT up to say 90+ on the first of the 10 bars, tried that and it's way too much for me. Using a normal temp of say 40 I'll try something along the lines of:

60,40,40,40,35,35,40,40,45 (it's a 10 slot curve). Once the initial 60 fired up the coil, probably little point in dropping the second one to 55 as it's just prolonging the overly hot (for vaping) initial fire up.

Think I've found my problem with clogging too, think I've been wicking too think, maybe having the resistance to the cotton in the coil too much (for fear of under wicking), thinned it out too much at first but the thinner wicks carry the sweeter Malaysian juices better I find.

I do think with the Malaysian juices I'll just have to get used to the idea of wicking at least once a day, a buddy of mine, wicks 2-3 times using them. The Creamy Strawberry is worth it though.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. debatedude
    No Mood

I'm running 140, 120, 100, 95, 95, 95, 90
    yeah...20 gauge SS. These babies need power

IMG_20180614_191110.jpg
    The wicks look pretty good after two days of vaping.

11. SooKee
    Lurking

Damn! Mine don't look that good after two hours!!! Guess it's the Malaysian juice.

Gonna try 60 50 45 40 40 40 35 30 40 45

I'm guessing if I drop a few zeros in at the end I could limit the firing / draw time to 3 or even 4 seconds.

Sent using Tapatalk

debatedude likes this.
  12. debatedude
    No Mood

Low sweetener juice! I look for it

13. debatedude
    No Mood

PRO-TIP:

If you have a few attys in rotation, keep your O-rings pliable by lightly coating them with PG or VG. You'll find your top caps slide on and off easier and your O-rings will last almost forever

SooKee, Arbil and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. SooKee
    Lurking

Cheers. Do you mean regular juice will do it? I don't mix so don't have the separates Got it down to two or three now. Two of them are OK and I just smear a very think film of juice over them when I lay one up for a few days. One is a REAL bitch to get the top off, a Lush Plus, I've gone to the extreme of applying regular Vaseline to those O rings! Attys that are boxed up I've also smeared with Vaseline.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  15. debatedude
    No Mood

Nope. I mean 100% nic-free PG or VG
    Perhaps one of the DIY people on the forum will sell you 30 ml of PG or VG
    Oh man, you sure you want to do that? You got the nic and the sweeteners just oxidizing there until you use the atty again. I don't know if using juice is good or bad, but IMO it doesn't sound good
    Now that's gangster! Vaseline and latex/rubber products don't mix well (never use Vaseline with a condom LOL). Additionally, petroleum products can actually swell rubber O-rings and can be a bit flammable. If you really want to use something for long-term storage, use a food grade silicone lubricant

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.