1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Could you please explain the use and utility of temperature control?

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by Axel, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Axel

Axel Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi!

Most of the new box mods have the temperature control... Is it a good improvement and worth to be used? How does it work : the mod power is it regulated only by temperature (instead of wattage) or is it just an additional feature to prevent burn taste? What is the temperature setting usually advised?

Than you!
    Axel

Siam Diesel, Loki and Richard like this.
  2. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Good question.

For me it is an improvement, first because you have more control over what temperature you are applying to your juice therefore it acts as a safety net to avoid breaking down the components of the juice with too high of a temperature.
    Of course the burnt protection is indeed a very nice feature, especially in drippers.

Some mods allow you to regulate both temperature and wattage at the same time meaning they will use whatever power you set them to to attain the desired temperature bringing the power donw automatically once reached, others use their full power in temperature mode.

The only thing I personally dislike with most of them is the added complexity layer in using the menus, some tend to be simpler tho like the eVic from Joytech.

Siam Diesel, pierdon, Loki and 3 others like this.
  3. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Another thing to keep in mind is that it is still in it's infancy. Different companies have approached TC in different ways and as a result there isn't yet a normal TC function. To top it off there isn't a lot of people talking about the actual ways in which TC is performed so many times it is a crapshoot ordering a mod. Even the type of wire to use hasn't been settled yet so some mods can use certain types of wires and others cant. It's getting better every day but there is still quite a bit of room to grow in the area of TC. If you want to try it, I'd suggest an Evic VTC Mini as they are firmware upgradable and they have been keeping it up unlike any others. The VTC Mini is a very capable TC mod at a very affordable price. You can get a VTC , try it out and sit back and watch how TC evolves over the next few months rather than blowing a ton of money on mod with chips that will ultimately go nowhere..
    **Updated**
    eVic VTC Mini Express Kit | Thailand Vapers

Siam Diesel and Loki like this.
  4. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

That's why I'm reluctant to purchase an evolv 200 mod, sure the firmware is upgradeable and the reviews are mostly positive but for me there are 3 problems :

- The complexity of the software and menus
    - The price tag for something that may be replaced by a far better version in the near future
    - The battery change from all the 18650 I own (not counting the chargers)

I have a DNA 40 mod and it already feels obsolete in front of something way cheaper like the eVic Mini...

The Rev likes this.
  5. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Yeah. I like that the DNA 200 is so configurable though. The battery thing and the cost is what kept me from getting one until I found the Reuleaux available at an incredible discount (takes 3 18650s and I was given a coupon for $40 off). I'm hoping they come out with a fully configurable 75w chip soon at a much better price but I'm also not holding my breath. Guys like Joyetech are about to pull the rug out from underneath them and good.... it's about time the good stuff is available to the masses.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  6. Axel

Thank you all for these valuable inputs! If this technology is still at the beginning, will probably wait a little more to buy a new mod

7. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

I would say that it's not exactly at the beginning. It's been a little over a year now but just as with all things vaping, innovation and different implementations exist and a year in the vaping industry is a decently long time IMO. I have been doing TC pretty much from its introduction and now it's in use on all but 1 of my 13 TC-capable mods. Crazy? Anyway, they all work perfectly fine in regulating the temperature but differences exist among them. For example, some regulate much more accurately according to the temp set while others need to have the temp adjusted up or down some to equal the correct temp. Some are extremely smooth as power delivery is delivered to regulate the temperature while others can be a little choppy or wave-like. Some directly support limited wire types while others can support pretty much all of them.

IMO, TC has been a great improvement for my vaping. A little more thought and care goes in to building and usage but otherwise it's not a difficult thing. I usually vape around 450 F -500 F depending on the atty, the build or the juice.

The DNA200 is arguably the very best chipset right now. Very accurate temp control and very smooth power delivery. Yes, you ideally would need to install the software but it's not as complicated as some make out. Plenty of resources on the Web to help one along with such things as adding support for different wire types, setting up profiles and pre-heat power settings. That being said, you don't even have to do or think about 90% of what's in the software program.

Like @The Rev referred to, there are mods out there that use pretty crappy chipsets so you're better off sticking with well-known and highly regarded ones.

The Rev likes this.
  8. Scratchy
    Lurking

I have had one on order and "processing" for a week now. Also a very good discount. Such is the China ordering experience sometimes!

9. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

They aren't due to ship until Dec 5th according to the site. I figure it'll be a nice Christmas present :)

Scratchy likes this.
  10. Scratchy
    Lurking

Aha! Yes, I see that now. :)

11. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

To me personally it has been a really fine improvement. I started of with the Invader mini bought of @-V- and it really was a great improvement. At the moment i have 5 mods with temperature control, and even there are difference in the way they regulate the temperature, some setting the temperature a little higher or lower, just does the trick. As a European i use Celsius degrees and vape around 240 degree Celsius, but the e-Vic TC needs 260 for the same. First of all i find the vape a little cooler, since the coil does not get to hot, and being free of dry hits is a blessing by itself. For my part, I will only buy mods with TC in the future. I noticed that the price difference is not an issue anymore, since a good mod with or without TC nearly coast the same. My latest buy was the 60 watt Istick with TC and it is has really impressed me. The e-vic TC mini needs about 20 degree Celcius more than the Istick for the same amount of vape, and what i like is, that the tank is exactly in the middle and you can use larger tanks than the 22 mm without any overhang. So here a link : Eleaf iStick 60W TC Melo 2 Starter Kit | Thailand Vapers

12. Axel

Dieter, just to be sure to understand correctly: with the e-Vic TC or the iStick TC, you are only choosing the needed temperature and no more watt or voltage adjustment? The vape is controlled by the temperature only?

13. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

There is actually a workaround to adjust the wattage in tep mode on the evic from what I understood, the iStick uses its full power everytime tho.

Other devices like the DNA 40 will let you change both temperature and wattage at the same time but the menu is a little complicated IMHO.

14. Axel

I watched various video reviews, indeed the wattage can be adjusted in addition to temperature on the e-Vic, and not on the iStick. Also, something I have not noted previously, the temp mode can be only used with very low resistance, less than 0.5 Ohms! Adding the fact that coils should be Ni, it means that the complete system must be changed to use temp control... Won't be able to use my subtank mini with the OCC coils I have on these mods... The e-Vic mini is looking very nice anyway, doubts again

15. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

Kangers offer Ni coils for a while already, not sure but maybe Micky or Big are stocking them.

So yes you have to use special metals in temp mode (nickel, titanium or stainless) but all the TC mods are actually VW mods as well, you can therefore use your kanthal coils on them with no worries.

Considering the price of the TC mods nowadays it is indeed a no brainer to pick one instead of a regular VW device, I have to say that the Subbox Mini kit is still a wonderful one even if it does not pack TC tho.

Axel likes this.