1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Cotton taste when firing new build for the first time

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by Axel, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Axel

Axel Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hello!

In all reviews, after building, wicking and juice on, the guys are making big clouds and say wow, wonderful taste !

On my side, each time I complete the building (all kinds of rba), the first vape has a strange taste, kind of "cotton" taste (building with Japanese organic cotton). Letting the rba resting for 24 hrs and this strange taste disappears...

By cotton taste, I do not mean burn taste (the wick is full of juice), it is really like cotton and it changes my juice taste, just like adding a shoot of "cotton" juice in my mix, no good taste actually

Any idea?

2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Try a different brand of cotton...I use Cotton Bacon and after re-wicking (& dry burning the coil), the first few hits taste a bit muted but after that, it's smooth full-flavored vaping with great taste. :)

debatedude and Konvict like this.
  3. Moog
    No Mood

Moog Well-Known Member

Same here with Team Vape Cotton and Kendo Vape Cotton. 3 - 4 puffs and the flavor is on spot.

debatedude and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

A few thoughts come to mind:
    • Did you prime the wicks before filling the juice well? I always prime the wicks after I thread them through the coils and before I fill the juice well.
    • When filling the juice well, let it sit for a few minutes before firing. Let the juice soak into the wicks. After a few, check the level of the well and top off if necessary.
    IMO the first few hits are needed to "break in" (for lack of a better term) the wicks. Generally the first filling of the well (for my RDAs, 10-15 drops) will break in the wicks. The second filling is perfect.

Tokay, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. jorakae

jorakae Well-Known Member

I have this exact same issue. I suspect those guys are using juice they already know and love and just ham it up for the video. I have tried multiple types of cotton and it always seems to have to go through a "break-in period" described here. I always fill my first tank after a new build with 1-2ml of some OK tasting juice. By the time I finish it, I put in some tasty juice and all is right in the world. I do find the same phenomena though, just letting it sit over night and no break-in period is required. Quite interesting.

jpr, Axel and debatedude like this.
  6. Axel

Guys, I confirm I am priming the wicks and I feel the same whatever coton brand used. I think it is really a question of breaking in... and happy that jorakae is feeling the same, not alone! Then, in my point, all these reviewers stating amazing taste since the very first vape after building are not very fair

debatedude likes this.
  7. Nakhonsisean

Nakhonsisean Well-Known Member

I have the same thing with all the cotton I use. Normally takes a 15 minutes before I get the full flavour. As to the reviewers, most of them edit their reviews, so the puffs they are taking after you see them build and wick could well be half an hour later. Also, any good reviewer will have been using the tank for a week or two before the review and will probably have put several builds through it with a variety of juices, so, they already have a good idea of the flavour before they do the review. I don't think they are being unfair or dishonest in such a case.

debatedude likes this.
  8. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

Hi fellas

Just seen a new priming technique for breaking in a new wick...

Fast forward to 2.26 in the video....

PS... Before ,I go to bed, I always fill up my tank with Custard...
    when I vape in the morning, it always tastes more creamy...

Axel, debatedude and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

"Marinating a steak..."
    :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:
    He's a wacko...but I'll give this a try. ;)

Konvict, moonoy93 and debatedude like this.
  10. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

He is mate.....

I like it .. when he says "Fill her up " :wink::rolling laugh::rolling laugh:

Siam Diesel likes this.
  11. Axel

Going to test this priming method!

Siam Diesel likes this.
  12. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Also try "Teasing", for want of a better word, some of the cotton from the tails of the wick. Basically like thinning the amount of cotton out. I use a bit of 24g Kanthal and run it through the tail a few times and then trim the fluffy bits off the end of the wicks. I find this allows more juice to flow up the tails to the coils and generally I dont have to break in my wicks anymore.

debatedude, Axel and Siam Diesel like this.
  13. jorakae

jorakae Well-Known Member

I think I found a simpler/easier solution to this than the one in the video above. Go ahead and do your normal routine of priming the wick as you normally would by saturating your cotton. Instead of inhaling on the first couple of pulls, exhale as you fire so the vapor goes out your air flow holes a couple times. Done. Cotton is now primed. Seems to work for me but give a a try and see if that improves your cotton break in time.

14. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

That's called "freighttraining" in American vaping circles. And it does work too

Siam Diesel likes this.
  15. nicotinelove

nicotinelove Active Member

Fire your mod from 30 watts and below the first times.give whatever cotton the ability to function in low wattage so when you higher the watts it can adjust and perform.a fine example is the warm up in training..