1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Coil Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks For Vaping' started by byoung, Jul 19, 2014.

1. BuzzSamui
    Cloud_9

BuzzSamui Well-Known Member

start off by watching the vid Ryan did ... excellent info & one of the best out there imo ...

(I watched it soooo many times whith my first few attempts)

Kayfun Rebuild Tutorial - YouTube

:beer:

2. yourauntbob
    Happy

yourauntbob hair club for men member

in my experience, some coils will last me the better part of a month, others just under a week. the biggest drawback with these coils is consistency.

i second this. i really only need to change coils in these when i want to experience something different.

3. byoung
    Cloud_9

byoung Thread Starter Upcountry Vaper

The biggest reason I would want to edge into this is my concerns over supply issues. If I knew I could always go down to the 7 eleven and buy a pack of coils it would be no problem. But the suppliers we rely on may not always have in stock what we need. So then I have to look at having different tanks systems that use different coils. That way there is a much better chance that one of the coils I use will be available.

This is something I'll take a stab at in a couple of months. I won't be happy with just one tank as I like to vape two or maybe even three juices during the day. And I can see their are other expenses, like a blow torch. Don't have a clue on how to get my hands on one of those or how much they cost.

4. mash
    Nerdy

mash zZz

any thai market has a guy selling windproff ligthers, i payed 100 thb.:vaping:

torch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  5. mash
    Nerdy

mash zZz

6. byoung
    Cloud_9

I've not seen this up here, but haven't been looking. Will now. :)

7. mash
    Nerdy

mash zZz

the one i linked to seems to be relly bad, the good one is:

$23.08 Kayfun Mini V2.1 ES Style Rebuildable Atomizer Kit (1.6-4.0ml) - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

:grin:

8. byoung
    Cloud_9

9. mash
    Nerdy

mash zZz

look at the other better one i linked too, there is a clear section option, pls. note that its relly long, in short mode its 65 mm + driptip and 87 mm + driptip in long mode(if the numbers is correct on ft site).

10. jon
    Mellow

jon Well-Known Member

Thanks byoung. That summed it up for me to. With the tips from the helpful people in here I have learned a lot in a short time. But the road forward is still a little bumpy. I have been looking at the Kayfun lite plus clone "black edition" that Micky sells.

11. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

As said before, buy a Kayfun. Easy to set up, cheap for a good clone, great taste. You can get a 2.1 if you need skinny, but I'd recommend the Kayfun Lite Plus v2 clone from FastTech or a local vendor.

From $13 to $35-ish from FastTech, slightly more if you buy locally. Clone prices of course.

Not sure what you are asking here. You can rebuild just about anything, since they have all been built at one time before. I used to rebuild my Protank coils, and I know many other people still do.

Kanthal, I recommend 28AWG, Big and Micky usually have it. Tweezers you probably already have. Nail clippers to cut the wire. Cotton balls (sterile) from the pharmacy. Small phillips screwdriver, probably came one of your atomizers. Scissors. Ohm meter, already have one on your iTaste. Windproof lighter, pretty much anywhere lighters are sold. Drill bit or other mandrel (like a toothpick or small screwdriver).

You can use the batteries you already have, but learn how to use Ohms law (ohmslawcalculator.com) so you don't build anything that is dangerous for your battery.

That depends on a lot of factors. Wire size, juice ingredients, how well you made the coil. I've been using saline solution in my last few batches of juice, and its eating through my coils. When you change the cotton and dry burn the coil, if it isn't glowing from the center out, even after squeezing and prodding it, you need to rebuild again. It means the wire is damaged in the area that is glowing first (a damaged area will have a higher resistance, so it will heat up fastest). Sometimes you can save the coil and get a bit more use out of it by taking out a wrap or two.

I rewick after 10-15ml of juice on average. Of course, it is all dependent on your juice and how fast it gunks things up.

It doesn't take me 30 seconds to rebuild like Emmess said, I would say more like 5-10 minutes start to finish. I always wash and scrub all my parts every time I rebuild though. Expect it to take longer your first few times, until you start getting the hang of it.

12. byoung
    Cloud_9

So how do I know what is good for my battery and what is done/modified in the build to make sure it is?

13. smithereens

smithereens Member

Just to add to the info in this thread:
    I've been vaping on a juice that has sucralose in it, and I'm needing to replace my coils more often with this juice. It makes the coil look rusty even after cleaning and dry-burning. Maybe it's harmless, but I don't like that orange rusty appearance at all, so once I get that I rebuild. I've actually taken to only using this juice on a coil that I know I'll be replacing soon.

14. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

Batteries have amp limits. If you build a coil that has a resistance too low for your battery, on a mechanical or semi-mechanical mod, you will draw more power than your battery can handle. Best thing for you is probably to stick to around 1.6-2.5 ohms on your coils until you start getting the hang of it. Its no coincidence that all the Aspires and Protanks and the like all come with coils in that range.

15. byoung
    Cloud_9

And how does one stick to 1.6-2.5 ohms? What determines the ohms when building a coil?