1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Coil And Wick My RDA

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Scuba Vaper, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Thread Starter Open Water Scuva Instructor

I only do cloud chasing when I'm trying to make it rain. I don't need two coils, really one works out ok, still, though, I'm open to new ideas. I know about steam engine, but really ought to refresh my memory on ohms law ...

Did I mention I made my own chocolate fudge yesterday, all with local ingredients, no overpriced imported stuff ?

But where's the fun in solitary building coils, like a hermit doing whatever hermits do ... Plus other people sometimes are cleverer than me ... Or just learnt from hard experience.

So, I have RDA, used the coil that came with it, minus a few wraps. Looks like 24g wire, maybe 4-5mm ID, ish. It's a BAAL V2 clone, which I bought on an impulse, main bugbear is it attacks it's own oring when I replace to top, so I get little shards of rubber which are unsightly, but you get what you pay for. I mainly use my RDA for tasting juices, which are either premade or DIY, so taste and quick change of taste are most important ... My question is a simple one :

What coil do you guys recommend ? And any other info you may care to impart, like wicking an RDA for juice tasting ...

I have kanthal/nichrome 32g to 22g even numbers, no Clapton or plans to make any, no TC or plans to complicate my life with it, yet ... So, just good old fashioned heating wire designs please.

Also 510 drip tip works fine, wide bore was like sucking on a nipple that's too big for my mouth ;) plus I do hybrid M2L, where I "screen" in my mouth, what's going into my lungs ... A bit ... But didn't really like M2L, as too lazy to suck that hard ...

Here's a pic from my iPad's marvellous camera ...

image.jpg

JohnKalasin likes this.
  2. Emmess

Emmess Well-Known Member

Well, if you are residing in Thailand and are concerned about the country, please start doing some more cloud chasing as you might be aware of the forth coming drought situation. Thanks beforehand from another concerned resident of Thailand. @Scuba Vaper

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

etlava, Siam Diesel and Scuba Vaper like this.
  3. Scuba Vaper

Not overly concerned, from what I read, public cloud chasing is more a cause than a solution to "a drought" in Land of smiles ... But everyone entitled to their opinion @Emmess

4. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

For juice tasting, I keep my coils simple and the wicking minimal. You want enough in the coil itself but I just let the legs barely touch the deck. That way you can change flavors quicker and not have as much cross contamination. Plus it makes it easier and faster to re-wick when necessary. I keep the coil simple for the same reason. A good tight 8-10 wrap coil is not going to deform or try and move around if you do a lot of re-wicking. That's what works for me YMMV.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  5. Scuba Vaper

Thanks @Lotta, that's very helpful. My wick I made so it just touches the juice well base. For tasting I just drop a few drops direct on wick. For strong flavours I use "naked" 50/50 pg vg to "clear the wick", between flavours, as suggested by his evilness @Darth Vaper ... and some water in between flavours, wine tasting style - doesn't seem to hurt, either, I think the olfactorys appreciate the help !

The gauge of wire I currently have takes a while to get to operating temperature, so just wondering what gauge, and also what ID you use ? And if I read correctly you'd suggest a compressed coil, not spaced.

And don't worry about mileage, happy for suggestions and new ideas, not going to hold you to anything (I gave up looking for "the truth" on the internet long since) ... it's up to me to try out and see what works for me, appreciate you taking the time, it's helpful :)

6. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

I concur with Lotta's 8 wraps, very tight but not compacted is producing good flavour. I now do most of my coils this way. 28 ga 8 wraps result in 0.92 ohm, Ti 28 ga 9 wraps result in 0.81 ohm. The Ti has the advantage it ramps up faster but you are not doing TC yet.

PK_20160122_153747_LL.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Scuba Vaper likes this.
  7. Scuba Vaper

Thanks @peter-k ... Neat build ... Will try kanthal 28g then ... What are you guys using for ID of the coil ?
    **Updated**
    Ps, I have TC mod on its way but no TC wire as yet ... So I'll stick with plain and simple for now ...

8. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

I use 26 ga. for these kinds of builds. I haven't used 28 ga. Kanthal in quite a while. 28 ga. is a little springy for me and tends to deform easier than 26 ga. Most of my Kanthal builds are 24 ga. or 26 ga. I run my RDAs with a single coil between 35-45 watts so ramp up time has not been an issue for me with single wire Kanthal builds. As far as ID, I go between 2.5 mm and 3 mm on my RDAs. 2.5 mm or even 2 mm works good for flavor testing.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  9. Scuba Vaper

Thanks guys, I did in the end a 10 wrap 28 gauge build ID 3.5mm, 2.6 ohms ... Works really nice, good flavour, less crackling and splitting, at around 35w ... But ..

Hear what you're saying on the 26 gauge, it's a little less "fiddly" and perhaps more substantial ...

Also filed with abrasive cloth the lips on stainless still cap of RDA and goes on and off easier, hopefully won't destroy the oring so quickly !

10. peter-k
    Fine

Woa 2.6 ohm with 35 W ...

The above is an SS316L by the way, forgot to add that. It runs well at 15 W. Simply adding two wraps to the ordinary 6 wraps standard coil adds more flavour than twisted or Clapton tricks.

Scuba Vaper and JohnKalasin like this.
  11. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

2.6 ohms is up there pretty good. With 26 ga. 10 wrap on a 3 mm ID, I am hitting right at 1.4 ohms. The only time I use this build is just for flavor testing. In dual coil it comes out much better at 0.7 ohms. Go to 24 ga. and I'm hitting 0.9 ohms on a single and 0.45 on a dual. I'm not sure a single 2.6 ohm coil at 35 watts is a good idea on 28 ga. wire. I'm not very knowledgeable about higher ohm builds but it seems like this much power though such a small wire might start getting close to the flash point of some liquids and I don't see the coil lasting very long. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Scuba Vaper and peter-k like this.
  12. peter-k
    Fine

I bet you are not wrong. May be brief testing for learning but that's all that I'd do with that coil.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  13. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Many people use high ohm high power vaping. I did it with single coil vaping as well for a while. It gives the surface area of a dual and with the higher wattage produces quite well for both vapor and flavour. I never went as thin as 28g though. 26g and thicker worked for me. a single 22g macro with as many wraps as you can fit power high. Great flavour and vapor. I ran that 80W. too far in the past to remember specifics unfortunately. Give it a vape and if its not too hot and burning the wick or juice, try it. just make sure you are wicked well to keep the juice up to the coil.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  14. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

I've tried to run some numbers on this and I can't get a conclusive answer in the math, so I will defer this over to the users with experience. I am always well below 1 ohm with dual coils and only rarely use a single coil above 1 ohm. So my guesses on this have no basis in experience. 28 ga. may be fine. At 30 ga. and smaller I would definitely be concerned. I don't want to tell someone how to vape but if there is a safety concern, I feel like I should at least bring it up. I would rather err on the side of caution and be proven wrong by someone who knows.

Scuba Vaper likes this.
  15. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

And rightly so @Lotta. I haven't used 28g like this either, as I said, so not having a go at any one. I hope it didn't come across that way to you.

Scuba Vaper likes this.