1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Cleaning TC coils and other questions

Discussion in 'Temperature Control board Talk' started by Longtail1, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Thread Starter Vaping Troll

Well a TC mod just crapped out on me last night completely and my M class seems to read a temp of 32 degrees F at all times when vaping so I guess I better look at getting one soon. IPV D2 looks to be the go to atm for availability and functionality so I may have to get on to big. Have to have a think about importing a DNA200 later on.

Scratchy and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. Phaitoon

Phaitoon Well-Known Member

Easy way to clean Titanium coils
    Switching your TC mode to Nickel (TCR=0.0062) but using Titanium (TCR=0.0035) – a temp setting of 300°C will give a real temp of approximately 500°C.
    That’s already sufficient to get rid of the gunk and safely away from temperatures above 600°C where titanium is known to build titanium dioxide (TiO2).
    I thought of this just recently and tried it out – it works just fine.

Gunged Ti Coil
    1 gunk.jpg

After heating to ≈500°C (2 times, 10 seconds)
    2 residue.jpg
    What you see above is gung residues (light brown) not TiO2 (white, grayish).
    Can be removed without effort – the adhesiveness is nothing in compare to before.

Using a Q-Tip with a drop of water applied:
    3 qtip.jpg
    Usually I just rinse the whole atty under tap water followed by an ultrasonic bath before rewicking.

Shiny – just like new!
    4 cleaned.jpg

+++ Just to show what happens at temperatures above 600°C +++

After a few pulses in power mode at 20W
    5 TiO2.jpg
    The shining is gone, a TiO2 layer was formed.

Cleaning with a wet Q-Tip had no effect …
    6  unremoveable.jpg
    nor would an ultrasonic cleaner do any better.

vinay, Scratchy, Neilly and 1 other person like this.
  3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Slick...great idea!

4. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

For anyone new to the issues with Titanium oxide hazards, and to reinforce Phaitoons very helpful post, you do not want to heat the coil above 600 C nor vape a cool that looks anything like the last pic. Just wanted to add in case of any confusion with someone new to TC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    fridgemagnet and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. Scratchy
    Lurking

Also, this may not be accurate as some mods use temp curves and others use linear settings thus temp conversions can be very different.

6. Phaitoon

Thank’s @Scratchy, can’t be stressed enough.
    The critical temperature above 600° Celsius corresponds to more than 1,100° Fahrenheit then.

Scratchy likes this.
  7. Scratchy
    Lurking

Ah, I see I said 600F as opposed to 600 C. I'm a farenheit guy. Editing

8. Phaitoon

The linear TCR (Temperature Coefficient of Resistance) is derived solely mathematically, whereas TFR should be derived from actual measured responses in a lab...
    :chinrub:
    To be honest, I don’t know how big the difference might be. But I wouldn’t expect it to be “very different”. In that case, devices using linear TCR would be “very” inaccurate as well. And isn’t that the majority? – I’m not sure, most manufactures don’t tell. Theoretically, TFR should be more accurate, but you might even find differences between various manufacturers of resistance wires.

I used two different mods: eVic-VTC Mini and Dani Extreme V2.
    There was no sign off forming TiO2 at a Ni setting of 300C using Ti instead.
    It worked for me; it should work for others as well – use it at your own risk.

Would like to here if someone tried it out – successfully or not.

Btw: the dicodes can’t be set to 300C (280C is the maximum) probably to avert a dry wick being scorched. With my crappy linear TCR calculation this will give a temp of ~460C with the same result as described and illustrated above.

Siam Diesel and Scratchy like this.
  9. Scratchy
    Lurking

Somewhat different and not critically if one were to do the cleaning as my example will show a lower temp not causing issues with oxidization but definitely a big difference when vaping. DNA40 devices (do not support Ti directly but can use Ni200 setting with temp adjusted) using Ti-1 set to 350 F approximates to 450 F whereas on a Yihi device in Ni200 mode need to be set to approx 285 F to result in an actual 450 F temp. So, for cleaning, if you set a DNA40 to 300 C it would be about 510 C. Not a big deal as it's lower.

Other mod chipsets may also have different conversions in temps so yes, probably good advice doing at your own risk.

Edit: Based on my usage experience, actually, I know other chipsets temp conversions/algorithms are different or at least the actual output are not the same as others.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Siam Diesel likes this.
  10. Scratchy
    Lurking

For safely dry-burning Ti, below a DNA200 Profile I created and tried out through a recommendation on ECF:

Watts = 8 (Some use higher such as 15W, I may try at some point in future to see if it works any better)

Temp = 462 F (actual recommendation at ECF is 464 F but I wanted to start just a little conservative)

Custom TCR = 0.006332

Preheat = 1W

Preheat Time Limit = 1s

Preheat Punch = 1
    Note the preheat settings set to minimum values.

With these settings you can fire for about 20 seconds and the coil will not glow but definitely gets hot enough to burn off the gunk. I saw no signs at all of any titanium dioxide.

Siam Diesel and Longtail1 like this.