1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Carrying gear on domestic flights

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by Sven Monet, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Sven Monet

Sven Monet Thread Starter Member

I've seen some posts related to this in the Proposed Thai Vaping Laws thread but I thought it might deserve it's own thread.

I traveled with gear on four domestic flights last year with no problems. I'm about to do it again next week and I wanted to make sure there are no new procedures or worries. I can't say going through security last year was relaxing but there were no hassles.

I asked my travel agent to check with Nok Air or Asia Air as to what their current policy was. This came back:
    An e-cigarette often runs with a battery and stimulates tobacco smoking using heated vapour. Each device has a heating element that creates smoke known as a personal vaporiser or electronic nicotine delivery system. This can only be carried on board either on one’s person or in your cabin baggage. It must not be used on the plane and must not be placed in your check in baggage. Recharging electronic cigarettes or its batteries on board is not permitted.

Electronic cigarettes must be individually protected to prevent accidental activation.

Electrolyte does not exceed 32000 mAh

Does this sound accurate? Last year I separated the head and coil from the battery on two units. I put the head/coils in one zip lock bag, the batteries in another zip lock bag, and some liquids in another bag. I had them all in my carry on backpack.

I find it quite ironic that if vaping is currently illegal in Thailand that their domestic airlines have such specific instructions for bring gear on board their planes.

Fastoche likes this.
  2. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Yes, this sounds about right from all we've heard/read. They don't want batteries in checked luggage (including power banks) due to the potential hazard if they vent.
    Domestic airlines have to deal with reality...and the reality is that vaping is here to stay (irrespective of the wishes of the TTM & the govt.). YMMV. ;)

Fastoche, debatedude and jpr like this.
  3. Sven Monet

Would an eGo AIO be safe to bring? The tank is permanently attached to the battery. But you can remove the top head screw with the coil attached leaving the tank empty. Would this raise any red flags at security? I have other options but this is my preferred choice to bring on the trip because of it's convenient size.

4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

I carry one that's ready to vape when I travel...outbound security at Swampy has never even given it a glance. Coming back in, it goes into a small bag with computer cords, power brick, mouse, pointer, etc.

5. Sven Monet

That's good to hear. It sounds like the only thing making it 'safe' is the power being off. I'm surprised it's that easy. I think I'll do my idea and remove the coil and empty the tank because I have no need to use it until I reach my destination.

Thanks.

6. Sven Monet

Do people every bring coils or juices in checked in luggage? I plan to bring everything in carry-on for this trip as described above. I'm just curious what others do and what is okay and what is not.