1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

burnt dry hits

Discussion in 'Vaping Technical Issues' started by Thee, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Thee

Thee Thread Starter New Member

Hi peeps firstly greetings to all! my first thread here i've just got a subox from kangertech my first vapor and just tried it out last night. I'm not getting much flavor from the juice smells great though but the taste feels burnt and dry. New to vaping so ay one could help would be great. thanks

2. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

Not knowing a lot about the Subtank..... my first question would be... did you prime the coil with juice before installing?

Siam Diesel, Dieter. and Rick O-Shea like this.
  3. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

As Redlines said, if you haven't primed these coils they will burn and once they do they're useless. Juice 'em up good.

Also, you didn't mention what resistance coils you were using and at what power setting.

Could also just be a duff coil, it's not uncommon.

Siam Diesel, Konvict and The Rev like this.
  4. The Rev
    Sleepy

The Rev Forgiven Member

To expand a little on Ricks response, once the wicking burns it ruins the coil. It's pretty much impossible to get that taste out without somehow rebuilding it with new wicking. It could be that it wasn't properly wet to begin with or it could be that you fired too many watts into it even while wet. It also could have been just a bad coil to begin with that had a hot spot and burned right off the bat at a normally good wattage.

Siam Diesel, Rick O-Shea and Konvict like this.
  5. Thee

Thee Thread Starter New Member

yes i did prime the coil with one to 2 drops of juice I'm not sure if thats enough. Was vaping with 0.5 occ coil at 25 watts. Also tried the other coil 1.5 occ thats even worst pretty sure i burn this one cuz i saw smoke coming out from the air flow probably fired too many watts while it was wet.

6. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Yeah, I think that could be the problem. I few drops on each side, several drops from above.
    Also pulling on the drip tip without firing will help draw juice onto the wicks.

SooKee and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Yep, sounds like a burnt coil/wicking. Once you change the coil and fill the tank, it's best to let it sit for 10-15 mins. to allow the wicking to get thoroughly saturated with juice. Then, try starting with a lower wattage (~15 watts or so) and working up to where you want to end up gradually. I do this with all new coils...breaks 'em in gradually.

Oh, and :welcome:

Glad to have you on here.
    :vaping: :vaping:

Neilly and The Rev like this.
  8. imthebear

imthebear New Member

I would think you had forgotten to put a few drops on the cotton before using it (and let it sit for a while). There is a good chance you ruined the coil and should set it aside, try a new one properly primed, and see how that works.

9. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Yep wise words for stock coils, let em sit, take some pulls from the tank without firing it too, see them air bubbles rise....