1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Help Building spare coils ready for later action ?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Scuba Vaper, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Thread Starter Open Water Scuva Instructor

@all, thanks guys, that looks like a great kit, I could start my own coil making business with that one ! Joking aside, I think it's good value too, component parts separately come to much more money.

I have now a bunch on 1M wire at different gauges, pre going into mass production of the next 5 years worth of coils, I need to experiment with what works best for me in terms of number of wraps and gauge of wire, so probably stick with borrowing from my electronics toolbox and the cheapo coil tool which just makes sure the ID of the coil is correct. I've had pretty good results from coils that aren't completely perfectly aesthetic wise, not sure perfection is required for making coils, just that they're pretty much as they should be.

Latest coil is 0.3ohm vertical 3mm ID for subtank mini, which is working OK :) space was a little tight in there, so may try 2.5mm ID next time, as 0.3ohm is the lowest subox will do and not sure it needs to be that low.

Neilly and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. Loki
    No Mood

Loki Trickster. Vaper. Bringer of Ragnarök

Scuba, if you need help with the Thai let me know, I am fluent.

When I was using the Subox I only went that low once,(0.3) took forever to fire the coil up lel. After that never went that low again lel. I usually stayed at 0.5 for the subox

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. Donkey
    Amused

Donkey Well-Known Member

I been on the same coil for over 4 months now. People who build and replace coils constantly are just throwing away money and time. Clean the damn things they'll last for months. Only thing that needs changing is your cotton. 28g kanthal micro what i use in my tugboat.

Siam Diesel and Scuba Vaper like this.
  4. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Thread Starter Open Water Scuva Instructor

Noticed it took a little longer to heat, but doesn't seem to cause a problem with the vape. Only issue is the coil isn't compressed, and the cotton is pulling inside the coil, partially blocking the airflow. On next cotton change I'll compress the coil, so there's no gaps I reckon ... Vertical as of this moment not as good as horizontal airflow wise, but hopefully will improve with the compressed coil ....

And thanks, I may just take you up in that, my Thai is minimal, and sometimes Google translation isn't that clear.

Very good point ... Figured that one out, and yes, I re wicked a few times already ... Burn the crap off the coil, new wick and good to go again ... So perhaps my 5m of kanthal will last a lifetime ! Also have 160 sheets of cotton from watsons, which seems like it may last for ever too !

Siam Diesel and Donkey like this.
  5. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

Glad I've found this old thread. I was just playing at coiling, but the nearly black desert juices from Triphammer are using up stock coils at an alarming rate. Brilliant price for an original Coilmaster V2, even cheaper than the clone on FT, which keeps going in and out of my cart.

Scuba Vaper and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

A real graveyard dig for this thread LOL. Some great tips in here. Received the toolkit today (v3) from TVS, superb little kit and great quality too. Around 1,600 baht. I'd read through a few threads here and elsewhere saying the kit's a waste of money and you only need this and that that you can pick up from here and there. I do like having stuff all in one place though and at least I've got everything I need here, all neat and tidy in a box. Trips to Home Pro and online orders and a Tupperware weren't going to cut it for me I think. Great that the kit comes with some free Kantal and Muji Cotton too. I've already got some cotton and need to look for a good quality 50 pack from somewhere.

Also ordered the packs of pre-built coils that Sam mentioned. Likely not needed now I have what I need to build my own but I'd like to have a couple of packs that I can use while I practice and screw up. Don't have and don't intend to buy an ultrasonic cleaner though. I guess boiling water will do.

Guess I'll just order some Kantal when I can find some stock. I'm thinking 26/28 will be enough.

Been using iJust 2 and Melo III attys and while I quite like them I can't help feeling that the flavour will be better with an RDTA and built coil. Juice that my buddy in Patts uses tastes way different / better in his RDTA and RDA than it does in my pre-built coil tanks. Only the Nautilus Mini gives good flavour for any length of time I find. Got myself and Ammit RTA 25 and may get round to picking up a Peerless RDA too.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Bantorvaper likes this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Get a bottle of cheap vodka from 7-11...probably easier & better than boiling water, and you can drink what's left. :D

SooKee likes this.
  8. SooKee
    Lurking

SooKee Contented Single Coiler

Good idea. Did see a couple of references to people getting a bad taste if using vodka to clean BVC heads, maybe they didn't dry it out enough? Or maybe need to rinse with water after. For cleaning oil or whatever from pre-built coils I guess it should be fine.

WRT building coils, I like the Nautilus Mini a lot, so much so I was considering picking up a N2 next time I visit Penang. More I think about it though, you can get through quite a large amount of coils if you want to keep the taste fresh and clean with the Nautilus tanks, so much so I'm thinking of trying the VandyVape Berserker that one of the suppliers in Malaysia suggested. Indeed, if it's that good I might buy two and break one down to get back into Thailand. I don't use checked baggage but broken down it might not look so sinister if it's in a camera bag full of gear.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Never had any luck cleaning Nauti coils...they're cheap enough so I just replace them. But if you do try to clean them, you would want to rinse them well after the vodka soak.
    Just put them in your pocket after Immigration & before Customs... ;)

jpr and SooKee like this.