1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Betrayal of Apple

Discussion in 'The Thailand Vapers Lounge' started by -V-, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

I think the whole thing is quite subjective, and down to individual preference, and means.

My last laptop purchase was a Samsung core i7 with 17" screen. Samsung were at the time pulling out of selling those types of laptops in UK, and I paid £500. The equivalent MacBook Pro 17" which was still available at the time was over £2000. My rationale, I'd rather spend £500 per year on new laptop, than tie up all my cash on something that may need replacing after 4 years. My laptop is still working, and pretty damn fast after 2 years now I think. It may well last another two years, in which case I saved £1500.

If money was no object, then I might tend towards more the apple camp, they do tend to make stuff that just works and lasts. But for me, I'm on a budget. So I could go Samsung android, but like for like specs on the models I looked at, well Samsung Galaxy was around at least twice the price of competitors.

And actually, I don't use my phone for that much more than a phone these days. Happier with a smaller screen as it fits in my jeans pocket, so phablet would be wasted on me, even the iPhone 6s plus looks bigger than I'd like in my pocket for general walking about.

I had good advice here on the 2gb memory on android phones, probably the reason the previous one was slow. And personally tending now towards androids of any make, for same rationale as my laptop purchase. I can get a new phone more often and probably still save money for vaping gear :)

Didn't realise Samsung had gone sneaky like apple on the SD card slot, which would make me tend away from them ... SD cards are so cheap these days, that not providing a port, seems like just ripping people off for the sake of it ...
    **Updated**
    PS very rarely finding these days that "upgrades" provided by Apple actually are beneficial in any way shape or form. Usually my device just slows down, and they remove or move feature that I liked. I imagine Samsung do the same, so regular and often updates and upgrades, could be a minus in much equation :)

2. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

I am mostly in your camp Scuba V. I had two high priced mobiles before. They were certainly good, but not double or triple as good as my Asus now.

Important Lesson: Buy lower cost in 18 months its made obsolete anyway.

I also consider now very carefully if I really need every new software version. My previous Sony just kept on running laggier and crappier from update to update. So I learned, if RELIABLE FUNCTION is my priority, the very best version is actually the version the phone comes with from the factory. I did resist the tickling clicky-finger syndrome and never loaded any OS update onto my Asus, only app updates.

3. Scuba Vaper

Scuba Vaper Open Water Scuva Instructor

These are very similar to my own experiences. Currently looking probably to buy an Asus android phone myself to replace my ageing iPhone 4s. And probably new iPod touch purely for my music and iTunes Match, and perhaps FaceTime.