1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Aspire Coil Test

Discussion in 'Vaping Maintenance' started by byoung, Jul 13, 2014.

1. byoung
    Cloud_9

byoung Thread Starter Upcountry Vaper

I have 4 Aspire 1.8 coils that are not performing well, so I boiled and dry burnt them. Then I tested the resistance on each and got the following:

I know that new coils can read 1.9 and that is supposed to be ok. At least that's what one reviewer indicated. But what should I conclude from the 2.0 and 2.2 readings? Are they shot? I've not tried vaping with any of them yet.

2. ThaiGermanSamui

ThaiGermanSamui Well-Known Member

You can conclude that the average deviation from that Coils are just huge , i guess ! :grin:

3. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

When I had the Nautilus there was no way to dry burn the coil without freaking it up..
    ALso when dry burning you should do it on a lower W or V

4. byoung
    Cloud_9

I read someplace here that you don't have to worry about popping a coil with the Innokin iTaste VV V3.0, because it automatically cuts off before that can happen. Did I misunderstand?

5. BadWingman

BadWingman Newbie

I've never dry burnt my Nautilus coils because I read it wasn't a good idea. I pulled one apart for rebuilding and it looks like silica wick which should be ok but i guess that paper type filler material gets messed up and would probably carry a burnt flavour.

- - - Updated - - -

The VV V3 can still pop a coil. Thats why you really need to be able to see the coils and release the button once they start glowing nicely.

Konvict likes this.
  6. byoung
    Cloud_9

Well, I popped one of them in and tested it and its awful. So I guess dry burning these coils is not a good idea. What can be done? Just boil them and let them air dry?

7. BadWingman

BadWingman Newbie

Boil them. Some people clean coils with a denture tablet then a vodka soak (to remove the mint flavour?). I also heard here about those mini ultrasonic jewellery cleaning units. I don't think they are all that expensive.

Each to their own but I got bored with cleaning coils. Drop in a new bad boy and your good to go. I guess you could learn about rebuilding them if cost is an issue.

8. byoung
    Cloud_9

It's not so much the cost as I just hate to throw something in the bin if it can be salvaged with minimal effort. The next time I have a coil go bad I'll try just boiling it and the letting it air dry and see how that goes.

The original purpose of this thread was to gain a better understanding of what the resistance reading means. My VV V3 lets me look at that, but I'm not clear why I need that information. What conclusions can I make based on the reading I get? If I have a 1.8 ohm coil and I'm getting a reading of 2.2, what should I conclude? The fact that they included that feature on the battery suggests it has some sort of value, but I'm not understanding what that is.

9. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

10. BadWingman

BadWingman Newbie

I wouldn't worry too much about those resistances. Sometimes you can give a coil a quick fire and check it again and its changed by .1, .2 ohms. If it changes to say 4 ohms then you have popped a coil.

Konvict likes this.
  11. byoung
    Cloud_9

I assume if you have a popped coil you know it anyway. :)

12. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

I think it just means the what's written on the package isn't what you got? They should still work.

13. BadWingman

BadWingman Newbie

There are 2 but yes you should have an idea. Good to know after a clean so your not pouring juice into a tank that will vape but not well.

Konvict likes this.
  14. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

If a single coil pop's, it doesn't fire and your ohm reader on the vv will show "NON". If its a dual coil and one pop's the ohm's will double. (A 1.8 coil will jump up to 3.6 ohms).

15. byoung
    Cloud_9

Ok...so its about calculating how to get the most vape with minimal damage to coil life. Sounds like mega mod stuff and not what my coils are even capable of. This does remind me of another question I have that I'll post in a more appropriate forum.

- - - Updated - - -

AH! OK Got it!

- - - Updated - - -

Got that as well. :)