1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

A handheld filter to kill your massive vape clouds

Discussion in 'E-News' started by Bantorvaper, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Bantorvaper
    Mellow

Bantorvaper Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Its been a while since new innovation has been highlighted in the vaping world. I like the idea--important in the LoS, but seems practically a bit awkward ! I wonder if it will catch-on.

Now there's a handheld filter to kill your massive vape clouds

[​IMG]

If you made the switch from "analog" tobacco to e-cigarettes, congratulations, you've likely done your lungs a solid. The rest of the world? Not so much. Despite growing evidence that the clouds vapors produce are less toxic than tobacco smoke, they still have an antisocial effect and can reduce air quality. That's fair: No one wants to be blinded walking through someone else's exhale. And while it doesn't stink like smoke, not everyone's into your blueberry cheesecake vibes. Enter Philter and its "Pocket" device -- a $15 widget you breathe into to eliminate cigarette or vape clouds.

According to Philter, the Pocket is loaded with some futuristic-sounding tech. There's a "kinetic energy multiplier" for starters, along with a "phase transition chamber." All you need to know, though, is that you take a drag on your vape/cigarette as you normally would, exhale through the Pocket and voila, no eye-watering clouds or wretched cigarette smoke. If you're a considerate nicotine user (and you should be), this might be a handy addition to your everyday carry.

Having an accessory for your vape might seem like a recipe for forgetting it or a burden (double fisting as you walk). To combat this, Philter also makes something called the "Phlip." The Phlip appears to be a case that fits popular, smaller e-cigarettes (like Juul, or gas station disposables) on one side, and a Pocket on the other. The idea being that you inhale from one end, "flip" it, and exhale into the other. Phlip costs $30 and also includes a Pocket.

[​IMG]

The first thing to consider is the longevity of the Pocket. Philter claims it's good for about 200 exhales. This means if you hit your vape around 10 times every time you reach for it, and, say, use it 10 times a day, the Pocket will only last two days. Of course, you likely won't need it every single time you're smoking or vaping, only the times when you might annoy other people -- so it'll depend on your usage. Handily, Philter offers a subscription service which will ship three Pockets every three months, for $30 (a saving of $15 over purchasing individually).

The second thing to consider -- if you're using this with tobacco cigarettes -- is that this likely doesn't counteract all the negative effects of secondhand smoke, so it's not a solution for keeping family members in the clear. Not least because you'll still have the secondary smoke runoff from the lit cigarette itself. Philter said in a statement: "While our proprietary technology is exceeding initial expectations during internal testing, our products are now undergoing controlled performance evaluation testing with an independent accredited laboratory." In other words, once those tests are in, we'll have a better idea.

So, is this a practical way around the social stigma of vaping and smoking? I imagine it might help, even if it does feel a little goofy. Just don't get any ideas about using this as a way to vape in places you normally cannot.

2. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

No clouds? What the what? I build for clouds!

Siam Diesel likes this.
  3. hotdogs1

hotdogs1 Well-Known Member

I would buy one if they worked. I could then have a decent vape in the plane's toilet.

I thought of this before. With an oil lubricated rotary vacuum pump, you have an exhaust filter. If the filter is not working or missing you get oil vapor or mist out the exhaust which a lot of people mistake for smoke. I think one would work but I can't remember how small the smallest ones are.

4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

:rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:
    I do that now with the Nautilus AIO...gotta hold it in...works a treat for the long flights.

Ben2vape, hotdogs1 and debatedude like this.
  5. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

I either use nicotine gum or drip juice under my tongue. That works like a treat too...especially dripping juice under the tongue...major rush!

hotdogs1 and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. hotdogs1

hotdogs1 Well-Known Member

I do the same now with a Nautilus on a Pico. Just not so satisfying taking small hits and holding them in. Shower caps or boot covers work great for most smoke detectors in hotels etc. but the ones in plane toilets are normally flat.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Siam Diesel, jpr and debatedude like this.
  7. Ben2vape

Ben2vape Well-Known Member

Having boosted my nic to 16mg I'm finding that even a fairly short 2 second draw gives major throat hit and can't be hit more than 3 times in a row without getting a buzz - so I'd just suggest getting a cheap MTL tank and loading up hi nic or even Nicsalt... 2ml can last all day and it's perfectly vapable in public (small clouds nobody notices if you hold it a second then blow it down).

I recently acquired mittens from Daiso to dress up for going out... blowing the vapor back into the mitten takes up most of the vapor too.

IMG_8476.JPG