1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

A Basic Guide To Flavour Extraction

Discussion in 'Thailand DIY Juice Making' started by -V-, Jan 7, 2014.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Basic Guide To Flavour Extraction

Quick disclaimer #1 - these are the 2 ways of DIY flavour extraction that I am aware of and have tried. There are probably others. This is a quick and dirty guide which outlines the techniques I have used in the past.

Quick disclaimer #2 – this is really hit and miss. I use these for flavours which do not exist today or for flavours which are not as good as they could be. There’s an old adage, shit in-shit out (no I’m not suggesting shit extraction).

Quick disclaimer #3 - steeped tobacco doesn’t taste like cigarettes … it tastes like the leaves smell if that makes sense. You are vaping, not burning, although it does leave a ciggy taste on your tongue after

Quick disclaimer #4 – tobacco extract will contain high sugar content and gunk your coils

Quick disclaimer #5 – I don’t know the health implications of spirits other than vodka. Use at own discretion

Quick disclaimer #6 - Think about what you are extracting - see disclaimer #2. Is it healthy to vape it? Cinnamon for example … google “inhaling cinnamon”. Tea’s sound good, lapsang souchong is smoked however and may contain nasty stuff if inhaled. Similarly some tobacco’s are flue cured. Orange/lemon peel could be used for extraction. It will likely contain oils and acid causing risk to coil and tank. You would also need to ensure you have untreated, unwaxed stuff.

Extraction using PG / VG
    I use this with tobacco leaves or dried produce. I’m not sure why, it’s just the method I use. You can use PG or VG. Since there are few VG flavours out there, I tend to use VG so 100% VG juices are possible.

This technique I learnt from another forum from Frogster … its not my process, it's his (well the bourbon and extraction isn't) but it does work.

First you need to source tobacco leaves. Best to get untreated ones as much as possible. There are vendors out there ... go google

Other stuff
    A small mug
    Steeping bag (like large teabags that you can tie)
    Diluent (PG/VG)
    Some alcohol
    A coffee filter bag
    Muslin (cheesecloth)
    Bowl
    Some bottles to fill

The process I follow for steeping leaves is to soak the tobacco leaves in either PG or VG in a small mug. Crush the leaves and place them in the steeping bag and tie it up. The bags I use sit roughly 1 large leaf. Place the bag in the mug and crush down to about half way.

Then soak in either diluent until the level is just above the bag. The exact volume varies depending on the leaves themselves but it is likely to be in the 50ml range.

Alcohol can help the process and I have used both vodka and bourbon. Bourbon produces a sweeter taste. Use about 10ml for vodka but around 20ml of a flavoured spirit for it to be noticeable. Make sure you as pure a spirit as possible and nothing with extra flavour or sugar in since you don’t know what you are vaping and sugars etc will gunk your coil even more.

Once soaked and crushed down, heat gently in water bath for 10 mins, cover and leave 24 hours. Repeat the next day. This is all the easy part.

Take the bowl. Remove the steeping bag from the mug, wrapping it in a piece of the muslin cloth. I then squeeze this out gently into the coffee filter bag over the bowl. The liquid will gather in the filter and slowly run out. Wring the muslin out until it is a dry husk. Give the bag a squeeze to encourage it every now and then.

This should get you a pretty useable extract to use at 20-30% flavouring. Fill bottles with a syringe. I leave it a week before use. Whatever colour it has will darken very quickly.

I find that even using VG, the extract is not thick and actually has the same consistency as plain PG so do not worry about diluting it afterwards.

A note on using extracted tobacco … in your final mix, you will get a tobacco flavour on the exhale and on your tongue. They can however be a little dull on the inhale with little flavour so mixing with an additional traditional concentrate is advisable for the full experience. Also, home steeping tobacco will not give you the ashy flavour that you may crave as an ex-smoker.

Alcohol Steeping
    This is the simplest approach and I use this for extraction from fresh ingredients.

Quite simply get a sealable bottle around the 100ml size (old PG bottles suffice nicely).

Get some ingredients.

In the case of leaves, try to slot them in the bottle on the stem. This makes removing them a lot easier afterwards. Crushing or bruising the leaves also helps. For others, chopping them up will increase surface area.

Fill with vodka.

Leave 48hrs then extract leaves. Filter the finished liquid through a coffee filter bag.

I’ve tried this will garden mint, basil leaves and elderflowers. The 48hr rule applies to fresh leaves. Any longer and you run the risk of extracting a cabbage flavour.

The mint works really well and when extracted in white rum you have a good mojito base.

Elderflower tasted like the smell of cat piss.

Basil, I am just steeping a mix now to try so time will tell.

The starting ingredients are the limiting factor. I tried each of the above because the flavours either did not exist or were rubbish.

You could theoretically extend this process to fresh coconut, ginger, coffee, vanilla etc etc. Given the amount of options available currently, I do not see the need for these personally.

One good thing about the alcohol extraction is that you can be a way to squeeze more flavour in your juice.. Flavour totals in a mix are recommended 20-30% max depending on palette. For heavy VG juices, you can use these as a thinner which adds flavour.

Aging
    I've not noticed any issues with any of the extracts turning bad over time. I do however keep them in the fridge.

Final note
    NONE of the flavours I have extracted I mix standalone. As stated before, they are to fill a gap. I still use 99% concentrates in my mixes.

*The Above was taken from a UK member on a UK Forum, Credit goes to the Member 'Ash' *

Scuba Vaper and kevin bangkok like this.