1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

28+ Days Later... (Youde Goblin)

Discussion in 'Thailand Vapers Reviews By Our Members' started by Rick O-Shea, May 9, 2015.

1. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea Thread Starter iStick Fanboy

upload_2015-5-9_12-6-49.png
    Had this a while now and since purchasing it my vaping preferences have changed somewhat but I will give my thoughts on this 'RTA' as it may or may not help someone with a future purchase.

I bought this from @GearBest for the excellent price of $17.99 (with coupon code) + approx $2.50 for registered shipping (no pre-order!!).

It is an authentic dual coil device designed to produce a shit-ton of vapour. It's main features being the dual coil design and a massive amount of airflow allowing a virtually open, non-restrictive vape. The airflow can be adjusted via AFC.

The build quality is good but nothing special. Threads are adequate albeit a little sharp. There was the odd burr I noticed when drying with a micro-fibre cloth.

The build deck/chamber is tiny and while the flavour is very good, build choice is extremely limited. 3mm coils are probably possible but I went with 2.5mm which are also very tight so coil placement is important so as not to touch the screw on chamber.
    Consideration for the screw on chimney needs to be taken as if your coils are too high and tight to the chamber the lip of the chimney will cause a short. Once you are aware of this the builds are relatively straight forward.
    I had used 2mm but found the airflow to be annoyingly turbulent but that was probably due to the coil placement and air bottle-necking between the coil and posts (just guessing).

I do not like the screws that come with the v1.2, apparently they have changed since the original version, I can only imagine how bad they are on that there. The heads are nice and deep but they back out too easy IMO. You think they are tight but after pulsing the coils realise there is at least another turn left in them. They didn't seem to like 28ga at all and although I managed a build with that diameter I opted for 26ga from there on due to a lack of patience.
    I also found getting the coils to glow evenly a tedious experience on many occasions which resulted in squeezing, stroking and tweaking of screws. I am also guessing this is because of the screws.

For me wicking is the issue with this atomizer and my vaping style. I pull hard, which can cause spit-back if not wicked appropriately. I have never had any leaking or gurgling but on a couple of occasions the amount of spit-back was unpleasant (not hot, just annoying).
    The first time I wicked the same as I always did my Orchid v2. It's a little tedious but worked well on the Orchid. It failed miserably for me on the Goblin. Far too much spit-back.
    Next up I tried Trevor Jones method. It was a lot quicker and better but only worked well with a half empty tank for some reason, with a full tank I would get spit-back again. Maybe using the longer chimney and tank sections would solve this, I'm not sure but never really encountered others with this issue.
    Now when I wick I cut the cotton level with the edge of the deck, apply a little juice, add the chamber section and poke as much cotton into the channels as I can without hindering the chamber placement by getting cotton stuck in the threads.
    Any overhang is tucked inside towards the channels. After the chamber is screwed on I tidy up the wicks that were slightly messed up by the chamber placement.
    The result for me is a far better vaping experience and no spit-back whatsoever. 0.39r/2.5mm/26ga/38w (3.89v) I'm sure you can go much higher in power with TJ's method but "I vape how I vape."

Filling is done via the fill hole at the bottom of the atty. You can top fill by holding the glass tank in place but only to about half full.
    I have noticed (similar to the Orchid v2) that juice will leak from the fill screw If the screw isn't tightened fully with an appropriately sized screwdriver. Also it will leak if there is juice on the screw and around the fill-port. It seems to act as a wick. It will only leak a very small amount though and as long as it is dry and tightened fully you'll have no issues there.

As for how it vapes? AWESOME (subject to change), provided you put the work in to get it to where you want it to be, it took me several weeks of intermittent playing to find a complete build I am happy with. A lot of people say you can't get the flavour or vape quality from an 'RTA' that you can get from a dripper, this rubbishes those claims in my experience and, along with a few other devices is why I very rarely drip anymore. Vaping is habit forming and those habits sometimes can only be changed by force.

Would I recommend it?
    Not to everyone but to those that are looking for a convenient replacement to dripping and have a little time to dedicate to getting it to perform to suit them then yes, definitely. I'm sure plenty of others will find this a lot easier to get along with than I did.
    The lack of a anti-faff single coil option would be a deal-breaker for many I'm sure and TBH I would fall into that bracket now as well.
    If you vape M-T-L I wouldn't bother with it to be honest unless you're looking for something different.

Rick-ter Scale
    [=======---]

*I'll see about adding some more pictures when I have emptied the tank.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    pierdon, skeeters, Scratchy and 3 others like this.
  2. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

Amazing review and I agree with most of it-unusual approach to selling, also, since your review could easily put buyers off.
    I am using my Goblin right now, and have yet to get the coil/wicking to produce a perfect vape-either gurgling/hot,or almost dry hits-it's a very fussy little fella.
    I am going to persevere because I'm sure it should be great.
    Unlike my Eleaf Melo which I hated from the get-go but have yet to get around to selling.
    Good review.

Rick O-Shea likes this.
  3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Great review, Rick, thanks! Was really thinking about getting one of these but not any longer...barely have the time to fill my Nauts so certainly wouldn't want to take this on at the moment.

Rick O-Shea likes this.
  4. Rick O-Shea

It was a bit of a rushed upload as I received a call that I needed to pay my daughters school fees within the hour.
    I forgot to mention the airflow lol.

As I mentioned, some people would probably get on with it a lot easier than I did and the problem for me was the amount of juice getting sucked into my mouth.
    The Trevor Jones method didn't really work for me and pushing cotton into the channels did.
    I had read people getting dry hits from doing this but I have had no issues at all with the settings I use.

Maybe the spit-back was attributable to the reduced power I now vape it which coincided with the purchase of the Goblin. A week before I bought it I would have been trying to get 60w out of it whereas now I am happy at 35w.

5. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

Yes I went to my kids school yesterday to find out about the fees for this coming term..
    Then last night my aircon in my car broke, just took it in this morning and it's gonna be 4 and a half K to sort that out too....
    There's goes a new mod and tank I was going to buy!!!....

Rick O-Shea likes this.
  6. Rick O-Shea

I contemplated just buying the books and doing home schooling!

7. haybilly
    Paranoid

Don't start about school fees-a the child gets older the fees get higher-my daughter is just finishing year 8, and next term starts year 9 (International School Chiang Mai)-fees are fairly crippling. So much so that I am seriously thinking of heading back to UK,to free State Education-and free Health and Medical care. She's already spent one year in an English 'Middle School'and did quite well but, that was 2011 and full recession-now things look a little better over there.
    Anyway, this was a sales thread so-I am finally getting a decent vape from my Goblin-
    So, don't let Rick put you off -its a nice RTA-I too have reduced my watts to sit 35 and it has really improved the vape.

8. -V-
    Cool

I think that might all change now the Torys have the whole power to themselves... :wink:
    NHS will go private, state schools will go private and everything will start to cost more and more money
    Food banks will be on every street corner and so on and so on...

haybilly likes this.
  9. -V-
    Cool

I thought it was a review :wink:
    Kinda gone a bit right wing now though.....

Siam Diesel likes this.
  10. Scratchy
    Lurking

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Excellent review, Rick! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and cover so many points!

Rick O-Shea likes this.
  11. Rick O-Shea

Definitely not a sales thread, I just tagged Zarya so anyone interested can hassle her for a coupon code lol

-V- likes this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

:hungry::hungry:

13. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Well-Known Member

I don't have kids, but I was always curious about schooling here. I don't know about the UK, but the US public schools aren't too bad if you're in a good neighborhood. The international schools here are really expensive though.

14. haybilly
    Paranoid

Its the same in UK-very area specific-we were in a very good local authority area and her 2 schools were excellent-sadly it's a postcode lottery.

David in Bangkok likes this.
  15. David in Bangkok

David in Bangkok Well-Known Member

Then the private schools there are probably about the same as the international schools here I'm guessing.

If it's a public school though, then it's always better in the UK right? Or are there good public schools here with good English programs?