1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Proposed Thai Laws for Vaping in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Thailand Vaping Discussion' started by glenn, Jun 11, 2016.

1. jorakae

jorakae Well-Known Member

Well friends, I have a personal story to share. I don't go out too much these days, but I had a visitor from out of town and he wanted to go out and hit the town for a bit last night. One of our stops was in Silom which was fine. After making a few rounds there, we decided to head over to another area. On our way over, we pass through a police checkpoint on Asoke-Montri Rd. which was stopping every single car and doing full searches. Our taxi was pulled over, we were asked to get out of the car, and of course I had my vape on me. I was thinking of stashing it between the door and the seat, but there just wasn't enough time without making it obvious that I was trying to hide something. Thinking that might make it worse, I just kept in in my pocket.

Once out of the taxi, we were given the full frisk search, including emptying all of our pockets for any lint that might still be in there. As soon as they hit my right pocket, they immediately knew I had a vaping device and started shaking their head with disapproval. I speak enough Thai to usually get by and tried to explain feigning some ignorance that I thought I saw on TV that you can possess and own a vaping device, but the law is only broken if you are selling such devices. I was given a stern warning that this is only for private use and should not be taken out in public. We were released and sent on our way.

It should be noted that I was extremely cooperative and soft in explaining my understanding of the law. I suspect that the combination of our cooperation, my soft explanation, and the leniency of this particular officer was the only reason we were let off with a warning. I could easily see how the situation could have turned out very different if someone decided to take a more aggressive approach. So, for those of us who are in Bangkok, be aware. You can and may still be an easy target for a shakedown. Be careful out there.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. Rowdy
    Devilish

Rowdy Old broken down Vaper

Sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you for the heads up.

Rowdy.

jorakae, Siam Diesel and jpr like this.
  3. lordofthedread
    Cloud_9

lordofthedread Professional Lurker

Thanks for sharting, and I agree attitude is key!

jorakae, farangmick and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Useful first hand information. I presume you kept your mod?

jorakae and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

This should be in a guide to life in LoS. I did my 30 yrs in a real police force, and in minor offences the attitude of the offender helped decide between a warning and a ticket.

6. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

7. jorakae

jorakae Well-Known Member

Thankfully, yes. If I had lost my mod this might have been a slightly different post. :)

8. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Good advice.

:police:

Siam Diesel likes this.
  9. chris snell
    Fine

chris snell crispenator

So i take it that you should not take anything worth any value out with you onto the street to vape and if you get nabbed play stupid farang on holidays .

jpr and Siam Diesel like this.
  10. william_thf

william_thf Well-Known Member

I will not carry my expensive mod ever again.
    My be Icare from eleaf

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

chris snell and Konvict like this.
  11. Darth Vaper
    Sick

Darth Vaper Keep Calm and Impose Your Will on Others

also notice that in some cases new CONDOS have very sensitive smoke alarms too. Found that out when soon after moving into new digs, a knock at the door and 3 guys all of a sudden up in the place with ladders, paper work to sign and taking photographs!

Dismantling or obstructing a detector too tightly will also get you some uninvited guests as was learned shortly thereafter...(!)

Shower caps are found in many complementary hotel toiletry kits. They work well, take it from experienced trial and error. Basically a plastic bag with an elastic band built into the open end - depending on the size of the cap and that of the detector, you could be good to go with just that. Otherwise, use a rubber band and secure a bag (or the loose fitting shower cap) to the base of the detector, flush with the ceiling. Allow for plenty of space between the little snitch device and the surface of the bag so the entire thing is enveloped in a plastic bubble.

So far, so good. Your results may vary.l

chris snell, Jared S and Rick O-Shea like this.
  12. moonoy93
    Cloud_9

moonoy93 Well-Known Member

13. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Yep...they still have it in for vapers. Be careful out there, folks. :(

McKloud, jpr and Konvict like this.
  14. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

I'd be exhaling directly into Penfold's boat race.

15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Huh...what am I missing??