1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Malaysian tourists fleeced by Thai police for Ecig

Discussion in 'E-News' started by colind88, Mar 19, 2016.

1. colind88
    Devilish

colind88 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Malaysian tourists fleeced by Thai police end up getting their money back, only to return it to offi - Southern Thailand Forum - Thailand Forum

This will be their new scam for a while. As far as i am aware there is no law covering an individual vaping. Only sale, import and export. Anyone know different? I think it is important we know our rights here especially as I am in a tessakit (เทศกิจ) scam area - I saw one of the clowns eyeing me up the other day. Was just about to call my lawyer but he moved on.

The Malaysians returning the fine is just mind boggling. An out an out scam and they make a donation to criminals???

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    farangmick, Yong and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. Jay

Jay Member

really need some clarification on this law. the story above is very hopeful

Yong and colind88 like this.
  3. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Amazing Thailand :)

Loki, Yong and Siam Diesel like this.
  4. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Here is my best interpretation of all Thai laws in one easy to follow statement:

Some things are legal for some people some of the time.

I hope that clears it up.

5. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for clearing that up...
    :yes or no: :lost it:

farangmick, Konvict and Yong like this.
  6. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

It's the best way I know to sum it up. I guess I could add "If you don't like the way things are today, don't worry. Tomorrow they will be different."

7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

^^^ I thought it was quite good...kind of like nailing jello to a wall. ;)

Konvict and Longtail1 like this.
  8. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Another way to put it is
    They leave you alone until they don't leave you alone.

My guess is that vaping in Thailand is going the same route as counterfeit goods, prostitution, underground gambling and bars open past closing time. It will often be overlooked until they decide to have a crack-down on it.

We all know that vaping is BANNED. I know we like to say it only applies to importing and selling. Thats what the law states, but what's the precedence for the assumption that possession is OK?
    Can you thing of anything that is banned but OK to possess? I can't.

Basically we can vape here and go through the airport with gear because they currently allow us to in spite of the current law.

I think to many people in authority the possession vs imported argument is meaningless. In a cops mind, if you have a e-cig, you broke the law at some point by either importing it yourself or buying it here from someone illegally.

The law is in place should they decide to enforce it. It does not specify possession but can easily be interpreted that way. As far as the cop is concerned, you have a banned item.
    **Updated**
    JMHO :vaping:

Yong, debatedude and peter-k like this.
  9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yeah, I'll have to disagree with you. If it were banned, they would have announced that it was, indeed, banned (they're big on that) and we would have had confirmation of that from our Thai members (and those that read/speak Thai) because it would have been all over the Thai-speaking media.

Until such time as that occurs, I'm going with "the import/sale of vape gear & juices is banned" (as stated in the law as we've seen it reported)...and not the use/possession thereof (irrespective of how the gear/juice came into our possession).

That's my 2 setangs worth and I'm sticking to it. YMMV
    :vaping: :vaping:

haybilly, debatedude, Loki and 2 others like this.
  10. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

Your right, I misspoke there. Vaping is not banned, just importing and selling (which some could equate to having).
    Like I said, just my humble opinion on how some may look at it. In the meantime I won't be vaping in front of any cops and will be putting my e-cig out of view when diving through any checkpoints.
    :police:
    **Updated**
    A line from the law that illustrates the mindset:

"Electronic cigarette are Prohibited product from importing into Thailand as it harms to public health, society, country security, peaceful and morality."

http://www.tobaccocontrollaws.org/files/live/Thailand/Thailand - Ban on Hookah, E-Cigs.pdf

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Yong, Tibo, farangmick and 2 others like this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

...and materially affects the public coffers (we can only hope)!

Good advice on passing through checkpoints...mine always go in the door pocket, safe from prying eyes. :)

Tibo and Konvict like this.
  12. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

We should feel lucky that the usage isn't banned or restricted. Somehow the law makes sense. It allows tourists to enter the country with their pride possession, use it and go back to their home country with it. It's fair in a way.

The fact that the import and sales is banned has nothing to do with health IMO. Thailand is only waiting to see which regulations EU and US are going to apply regarding vaping. So this ban is a middle ground, waiting to found out what others will do and how they will manage to implement a tax system on it. Then Thailand will decide.

They could have gone much stricter like SG or HK but did not. I think they want to keep the option as vaping being a legal market in the future so they can tax it.

I also don't think it is a big matter for them right now. Let's face it, they have much more things to deal with before spending time on writing laws about vaping in LOS.

My 2 satangs, YMMV but not from much honestly ^^

Yong, debatedude, Konvict and 2 others like this.
  13. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

Just took a look at the sourced article on Khaosod. It differs from what was written on the Thaivisa link you posted.

The fine was returned (which the Malaysians kept) and a additional 5,000 baht was offered by the police commander as compensation which the Malaysians declined to accept.

Songkhla Cops Charged, Suspended for Extorting Malaysian Tourists
    **Updated**
    There is nothing that states that tourists are allowed to enter with a e-cig. The law states illegal to import. It does not distinguish between a personal use item or a item for resale. When you cross the border with a e-cig you just imported it.

I agree that the way it's currently being enfoced is fair. But the law that is written could be used to confinscate/fine you at the border should they decide to start enforcing it.

I hope your right that the ban is just a middle-ground. But the verbage in the law is troubling to me. Stating that e-cigs harm public health, society, country security, peace and morality?
    Could you make it sound any more evil?
    :devilish:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    colind88, Tibo, peter-k and 1 other person like this.
  14. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

That is where I believe tourist are safe. You shall not import in the business way. Whether it is large quantities or sealed products. But seems like entering with your personal and already in use product is tolerated. Yet, you are right, the law does not state otherwise. But it is a fair guess since vaping is allowed.

Kinda like the old trick "take it out of the box and throw the box away before taking the plane" so customs won't bother you upon arrival ^^

Siam Diesel and Konvict like this.
  15. Lyss
    Bored

Lyss Well-Known Member

In fact it does.